Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report shows Ireland suffers from high levels of 'lawful corruption'

Options
  • 03-03-2009 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaukfaumhsn/
    A Government-sponsored study has found that Ireland suffers from high levels of lawful corruption.

The report from Transparency International says there are high levels of hidden influence over regulation in Ireland, as well as a Government by vested interests.

The organisation defines lawful corruption as political favours, relationships and donations that don’t break any laws, but do influence decisions and policy.

Transparency International is recommending the introduction of a register of lobbyists and new whistleblowers' laws, the establishment of a garda anti-corruption unit and the publication of councillors’ interests on the Internet.

Its only €3bn lost http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0302/breaking50.htm
    IT wrote:
    Corruption could still be costing the Irish economy as much as €3 billion each year in lost revenue and foreign investment, according to a report published this morning.

Question is, are you surprised at all?:P:)

Poll to follow!

Do you think Ireland is corrupt? 30 votes

Yes, alot of lawful corruption exists in Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    No, Ireland has little or no lawful corruption
    100% 30 votes
    Wha? Where's my Atari?
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

No im not suprised and if i was in power i would probably do the same.

And if i ever got caught i would step down/retire on full pension and live out the rest of my days in luxuary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope not surprised. Have seen it up close too. Nature of the beast that is the relatively small pool that is Ireland.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And if i ever got caught i would step down/retire on full pension and live out the rest of my days in luxuary.

Perfect description. That just sounds to a word what has happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well we are pretty small.

It's inevitable in a small country, what'd be worrying would be somewhere like Italy which would have far worse corruption despite being a huge country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

They didnt need a report to demonstrate that. Typical Irish ways, set a whole board, a committee and give it funding, just to find out what was stupidly obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

No! Comon its rife! out for all to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Slumdog

Jesjes wrote: »
    They didnt need a report to demonstrate that. Typical Irish ways, set a whole board, a committee and give it funding, just to find out what was stupidly obvious.

nail on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

You all realise that most of the report is based on perceptions of corruption, not actually evidence of corruption.

If people think there is loads of corruption, and there isn't, it still gets a bad rating.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

we've had tribunals where some gob****e when asked about a certain thirty thousand started to explain away about the wrong thirty thousand.

we've had a member of the public accounts committee spend time in prison

all this has gone on while the party in question has been in power

Not sure if it's better now or just better hidden than the past. But I hope we don't go back to the days of arms trials (most likely the motive was money and damn the consequenses to those at the sharp end) or having a killer hiding in the autorney generals house. Or having the RUC detain someome who was going to be a witness against the family of the minister for justice :rolleyes:

Our politicans are paid way above world rates and don't give world class service. On that basis they could be considered guilty of fraud. :p

There are far too many cases of stuff going on here that are completely illegal in the UK / US because our regulators are either incompetant or are leaving loopholes for their cronies. Far too many tax breaks for the super rich and the rules on residncy are nearly a joke, stuff like IIRC if you cross the boarder or your plane lifts off before midnight then you haven't stayed that day for tax purposes. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Eh well we know there is a lot of corruption we can't prove :P

One just needs to look at the planning in this country and the number of times the planners conclusion is rejected and permission for the housing estate to be built is granted in the wrong area anyway without any services in this country.

I can see very few towns where this hasn't happened TBH. Rochfortbridge has to be one example, Maynooth another and there are countless others. I imagine Tullamore too and loads of areas in Dublin obviously.

Our politicians and planners aren't just that stupid. It is planned to be that crap by dodgy dealings which may be legal but are unethical and immoral as they fook up entire town layouts and service for hundreds of people forever so a developer can get a little richer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I've seen corruption in Dublin personally and I've see corruption at a local level many times.
    Before anyone asks, yes, I have reported such cases and waited to see if anything would happen.
    So far have heard nothing - it gets buried, evidence is coincidently found inadmissible/tainted and/or files can't be found, etc...!
    O' look! A search warrant is out of date by a day! :rolleyes:

The sooner the old way of doing things even dies off a little, the better.
    This country is crying out for either or all, a new political movement, a new way of thinking, tougher laws that are actually enforced...
    but we are too frakin' complacent in voting/allowing the old ways and turning a blind eye to/for the same old shisters ("...but I don't want to get involved" I keep hearing as a pitiful cry - yet two months later the same person is complaining to a neighbour/across the net/etc that "O' I wish the Gardi would do something! Isn't it disgraceful").

Until that stops, the majority get off their arse, take to the streets and white collar crime is taken as serious as bank robbers coming in through the front doors, nothing will change in the slightest.

We deserve what we sadly get... and by god we are getting it by the crap load!
    No wonder we are a joke amid the political, banking and business world community.

Keep getting used to it as ye, the lazy arsed, complacent continue to sit on your hands and backsides and do nothing to help change things!

Advertisement