Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship Application: Moved out of Ireland after making an application

Options
  • 03-03-2009 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Folks
    I applied for Irish Citizenship by Naturalization in 2007. I have since moved to the UK for work - does anyone know how the process for my application is going to work? I did receive a letter a few weeks ago asking me to provide some missing documents but kinda lost now trying to figure out what I should expect?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Nirkish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

you meant to be a slave in the coutry thru out the whole extended and longwinded process from what i heard from some (our public sector workers are too busy worrying about small cut pensions than doing their jobs in pushing paper around)

ask on this forum you might get answer

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=34

INIS website:
    "There are currently 16,771 applications for naturalisation with the Citizenship Division of the Department that are still awaiting a decision. The number of applications which were made more than 18 months ago is 7,065 and of these 41% (2923) are on hold awaiting a response from the applicant and 47% (3,306) are awaiting a response from other statutory bodies as part of the normal applications checking process."

they are one of the few departments of the government to be making a profit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

ionix5891 wrote: »
    you meant to be a slave in the coutry thru out the whole extended and longwinded process from what i heard from some (our public sector workers are too busy worrying about small cut pensions than doing their jobs in pushing paper around)

Wow, are we capable of geting through one discussion without it decending into another childish, fruitless public sector vs private sector row ?

The guy's question didn't even have anything remotely to do with this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Wow, are we capable of geting through one discussion without it decending into another childish, fruitless public sector vs private sector row ?

The guy's question didn't even have anything remotely to do with this topic.

hey i was helpful and pointed him in a relevant direction :rolleyes:

from what i hear it takes 30 days in UK for naturalization to be processed while it takes 3 years+ here in Ireland

now somewhere somehow something went seriously wrong in our beuracracy, and one cant say that they have alot of people to process (compared to UK?) or short in finances (they make plenty of money and as i pointed out one of few government depts to make profit)

so that leads to a conclusion that theres something seriously wrong with this dept and reflects on the rest of the public service general lack of efficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Folks
    I applied for Irish Citizenship by Naturalization in 2007. I have since moved to the UK for work - does anyone know how the process for my application is going to work? I did receive a letter a few weeks ago asking me to provide some missing documents but kinda lost now trying to figure out what I should expect?

First you need to decide whether you still want to be an Irish citizen. If you don't then it's pretty straightforward: you don't have to do anything or maybe you can just give them a call and explain if you want.

If you want to be naturalised then according to the law you have to satisfy certain criteria. Intention to reside in the Republic of Ireland is among the others.

If you are happy with the conditions of naturalisation and you have no problem obtaining the documents that DoJ have requested then you can just send them out. If you cannot obtain all the papers they need because of you residency status (or you think they might reflect your residency status, like P-21) then I think you should seek professional legal advise before taking any actions. It's well possible that in this scenario you still meet the criteria and therefore qualify for the Irish citizenship (e.g. you have countable residency in Ireland and you are planning to return back to Ireland once you finish your work in the UK in the near future) but I guess it should be explicitly communicated to the DoJ in appropriate form. Try to find a lawyer who is familiar with the practices they have in the Naturalisation Section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

they are one of the few departments of the government to be making a profit :)

Of course they are they are taxing immigrants €150 annually and then slowing down applications for the priviledge.
    It long ago stopped being a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

so that leads to a conclusion that theres something seriously wrong with this dept and reflects on the rest of the public service general lack of efficiency

It's more likely that the MoJ wants to discourage us filthy immigrants from getting on the dole should we get citizenship (well we are entitled to it anyway but if we loose our job it's easier to kick us out Ireland if we are still on Stamp 1).
    It has been pointed out to both Brian Lenihan and Dermy that there is a serious slowdown for LTR and Citizenship apps and they have both refused to increase the numbers of INIS personnel to lower the processing times.

Advertisement