Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seasonal Work in New Zealand

Options
  • 03-03-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I know there've been a few general threads on here about fruitpicking and such, but I couldn't find anything specific for seasonal work in NZ, so thought I'd start a new thread to get some specific into.

Basically, despite landing a job in Wellington I've decided that it's still going to cost me more money than it's worth to live here, and I will not be able to save a penny. Minimum wage for 30 - 32 hours per week minus tax brought me a nice lump sum of $300. Minus $140 for rent and I'm broke. So I'm going to jump on a ferry and head to the south island this weekend in search of grapes that need picking,pruning and packing.

If anybody has done some form of seasonal work in the marlborough/nelson area, it'd be great to get some pointers as to where to stay and look for a job around this time of year. I'm thinking blenheim is a good place to start, but have contacted a few vineyards and they're not taking on people for another month or 2 months, or already have enough staff.

So if anyone has any experiences, tips, good hostels they stayed in or even contacts it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

There's quite a few places between nelson and the abel tasman park like Motueka that have a lot of fruit growing farms. I'd highly recommend the Hatrick backpackers in Motueka that's quite new and well setup. http://www.hattricklodge.co.nz/index.php

Is it not a bad time of year for this stuff though considering we're entering autumn?

Advertisement