Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsporting use of an I-Pod?

• 03-03-2009 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Ben Foster will face no action from the FA after using videos on an I-Pod to study Tottenham's penalty takers before the Carling Cup final shoot-out, but some have described his actions as going against the spirit of the game.
    Opinions? I personally can't see how doing a little research is unsporting, just good professionalism.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

pierrot wrote: »
    Ben Foster will face no action from the FA after using videos on an I-Pod to study Tottenham's penalty takers before the Carling Cup final shoot-out, but some have described his actions as going against the spirit of the game.
    Opinions? I personally can't see how doing a little research is unsporting, just good professionalism.

indeed, its no different really to reading over some notes saying which side each player likes to go, and if high or low..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

FFS, why was it even an issue of whether he should face action or not?

IMO Foster and the coach in question should be commended for their professionalism and preparation. It wasn't outside the realms of possibility that this final could end in a shoot out, and they had their notes done and prepared should the situation require them. They were innovative and got their just rewards. Any aspiring pro or coach should be paying attention to this. If that sort of foresight and ingenuity was used in business there'd be lads getting promotions on Monday morning.

It's a nothing story. Video analysis is used by any top sports team worth their salt, and if the technology is available and beneficial without disrupting the integrity of the game, then why shouldn't it be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

no, i think it was a really smart idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I only wish Shay Given had an I-pod when we faced Spain in the world cup, Mendieta always went down the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

How are we even discussing this. Keepers watch videos of opposition players taking penalties and free-kicks all the time and have done so for years. What difference does it make if you watch the video on an ipod, laptop or a tv ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

redout wrote: »
    How are we even discussing this. Keepers watch videos of opposition players taking penalties and free-kicks all the time and have done so for years. What difference does it make if you watch the video on an ipod, laptop or a tv ?

None whatsoever, I agree completely. It seems ridiculous to me that an issue is even being made over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You have to hand it to ManU, always pushing the boat out. I remember Giggs' causing uproar in the CL for taking an early free kick and scoring from it, when replays show the home team just switched off (before proceeding to walk off the pitch IIRC).

Also that move a coupla weeks ago between him an Rooney at the corner flag when the idiotic officials ruled out a perfectly legitimate Ronaldo goal. This type o' sh*t should be encouraged IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I was thinking of this as well, nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Savman wrote: »
    You have to hand it to ManU, always pushing the boat out. I remember Giggs' causing uproar in the CL for taking an early free kick and scoring from it, when replays show the home team just switched off (before proceeding to walk off the pitch IIRC).

Also that move a coupla weeks ago between him an Rooney at the corner flag when the idiotic officials ruled out a perfectly legitimate Ronaldo goal. This type o' sh*t should be encouraged IMHO.

I thought the corner was very dodgy - because it leaves the defenders in a situation of not knowing if the corner has been taken or not and therefore risking a yellow card if they go for the ball (under the kicking the ball away rule).
    I think the referee made the correct decision on the day.

But I'd agree innovation should generally be encouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fair play to the Utd coaching staff. 'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail', etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Savman wrote: »

Pfft they robbed that from Roma who did it a good while back. Don't be givin them credit when it's not due! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I thought it was a good idea tbh, not a thing wrong with it, fair play to Foster and the coach in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

pierrot wrote: »

Some people clearly need their heads examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Man United keeper in preperation shocker!
    Cant believe they made a news story out of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Man United keeper in preperation shocker!
    Cant believe they made a news story out of that!

Well, they could hardly make a news story about the actual match could they? What a shocker! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

such a rubbish story :pac::pac:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE52158020090302
    FIFA president Sepp Blatter has resisted the use of any form of video technology, especially to determine if the ball has crossed the goalline, for many years. But the idea of using an iPod as a tactical aid is new and not against the laws of the game.
    Former Premier League referee Graham Poll told the Daily Mail on Monday that using iPod technology "had the potential to exploit a loophole in the laws which should be referred to FIFA."
    An FA spokesman said: "What happened was not against the rules so we will not be investigating the matter further."
    Spurs were last involved in a penalty shootout a year ago when they lost to PSV Eindhoven in the UEFA Cup.
    In that game, O'Hara fired a shot to the left of the goalkeeper and on Sunday he sent Tottenham's first penalty the same way and Foster saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I can't see how or why FIFA would try and ban this. You can nearly guarantee that any goalkeeper/goalkeeper coach will have this prepared for the next match they go into that could go to penalties.

I'd say every side that are in the CL came in on Monday and started getting it together.

There is a break in between penalties which allows you to prepare how you want. The only reason this should ever become an issue is if a goalkeeper was delaying the taking of a penalty because he was sitting on the sidelines watching a video which lets fact it ain't gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

It's no big deal, but it is kind of icky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SectionF wrote: »
    It's no big deal, but it is kind of icky.

Why so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Leftism album - quality
    Hot Chilli Kebabs on lower Kevin street - quality

Using the Ipod before penos - quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Me - I liked The Fiver's take on it. Complete non-story.
    TOMORROW'S WORLD

The Fiver has never had much to do with iPods. A shuffle is how we move around, a nano is what we called Nanny Fiver when we were just a little Fifth, and a touch is something frowned upon by the employment tribunal, particularly when it's in the [Snip! - Fiver Lawyers] with the [Snip! Snip! - Fiver lawyers] and your own [Snip! Snip! Snippety-snip! - Fiver lawyers], even when no one's looking. We were as surprised as anyone, then, with the news that Manchester United's Ben Foster and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele had gone through Tottenham's penalty routines on an iPod prior to their side's win on spot-kicks in the Rumbelow's Cup final.

"It is a new innovation for us. Eric brought it when he came to the club. I have never seen anything like it," said Foster, who has clearly led something of a sheltered existence. Nevertheless, the 25-year-old shook off his bemusement at arriving at the ground in a carriage of no horse drawn, stopped gazing in amazement at Wembley's electric lights and "these things you strange folk call 'shoes'", put aside any fears of Steele's clickety magic coloured moving picture box stealing his soul and swotted up on Jamie O'Hara's penalty preferences ... by looking at where the Tottenham midfielder put his last one, drawing a big X on his left glove to remind him and hoping O'Hara was a creature of habit.
    Foster also had the wise words of Edwin van der Sar ringing in his ears. "Edwin hasn't got a bad record with penalties and he just told me to be as intimidating as possible," said Foster, shortly after kicking sand into David Bentley eyes and pointing out that his dad was really hard. Bentley's miserable spot-kick, scuffed wide, left Tottenham struggling to put a brave face on defeat. "I thought we were super," said Spurs manager 'Arry Redknapp. "It was a great performance and it came down to a lottery in the end."

Except it didn't, did it? Goalkeepers from Bob Wilson to Jens Lehmann have always sought innovative approaches to reduce the element of luck. United, just as a top team should do, went that extra mile to ensure every last advantage could be wrought. By comparison, Heurelho Gomes' pre-penalty preparation might as well have consisted of a grainy Betamax recording of Tottenham goalkeeping coach Tony Parks acting out spot-kick scenarios using a set of M.A.S.K figures.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/fiver/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So its okay for teams to watch other teams play and watch DVDs of them as well, but not for a keeper to download stuff to his ipod?

No sense whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why so?
    No positive reason really. Just comes across as a bit cynically nerdish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

SectionF wrote: »
    No positive reason really. Just comes across as a bit cynically nerdish.

It worked though, stroke of genius in my opinion!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats just great team management to have that stuff available to the 'keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They dont normally do it during the match though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stekelly wrote: »
    They dont normally do it during the match though.

First off, they didn't do it during the match this time - they did it during a break between full time and penalties - a time used for preparation for the penalties. The pitch is considered to be the changing room at this stage of the game.

Secondly, it is done during matches all the time - players are given instruction before they come on, they are given notes during the game (Mourinho used to pass notes to the players) How is any of this different from giving Foster notes on what the opposition are likely to do? The only thing that has set this incident apart is that, as far as we know, this is the first time an iPod touch or similar has been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Fair play Carson. Why shouldn't he study how Spurs would take their penalties to they would win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Pfft they robbed that from Roma who did it a good while back. Don't be givin them credit when it's not due! :pac:

Beckham and Giggs used to do it in the early 90s. But I'd imagine they stole it from some Brazilians who used to do it in the 80s :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Xavi6 wrote: »

Neil Im not sure if you remember but this was done against us in college vs a youth team out in Tallaght... prob been around ages. Its fairly clever but needs a sharp ref to work

As for this instance with Foster, how can anyone be annoyed about good preparation? Obviously paid off too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That'd be pathetic if he was charged. In the NFL every team studies their opponents in a lengthy session by watching hours of tapes.

It's exactly the same as a manager going to a stadium and studying future opponents.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Fair play Carson. Why shouldn't he study how Spurs would take their penalties to they would win?
    Who now? :p

Advertisement