Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the public sector bashers - why did you not get a job in the public sector..

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

But hey - Public Sector IT doesn't have to suffer any consequences as it's not going to affect them so what the hell, keep on rolling out of the office at 4p.m. while the rest of us work what hours are needed...

This kind of crap doesn't deserve a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

musician wrote: »
    This kind of crap doesn't deserve a response.

Why - do you know any public servants working extra hours without overtime? - I don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Why - do you know any public servants working extra hours without overtime? - I don't.

Anything after 4 p.m. is extra hours? Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

musician wrote: »
    Anything after 4 p.m. is extra hours? Fair enough.

Depends on the department to be fair.

Some close as early as 3PM.
    Other work later I'm sure.

The real difference is although the private sectors work 9-5, if a project is not going to make the deadline, it is assumed they will work overtime to make up the difference for free.

Basically if a project is behind in the private sector, the employer seems to assume it is because the workers weren't working hard enough and need to make up the time rather than the project wasn't feasible in the time allocated even if that is the case.

Looking at some companies in the IT world, this happens to a crazy level. For instance, the people working on a particular computer game spent the last month in the office, day and night. Company had showers installed and they ordered pizza each night to eat and they slept and worked in the office until the delivery date to get the product out the door.

I'm not suggesting anyone should do that. It is an insane work level and the only reason they are willing to do it is because they love what they do that much and are that proud of what they produce that they want to realise a poor product.

However, there are other contrasts in the private sector such as banking where one of the developers I know works from 10-3 and is discouraged from working later than that.

Basically it depends on the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Carlotta

When the economy was doing better, did people really sit around debating the merits of job security and state pensions? At school, did we decide our future careers based on such considerations?

I didn't - I followed the career path I was interested in.

This Public vs Private sector debate is silly. Hindsight is 50:50.

BTW I'm technically a public sector worker (shudder) and I hope to God the government taxes the hell out of me and lays off a few thousand civil servants and HSE admin types so the country is not bankrupt this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I know lots but neither of our personal perspectives or experience help this debate.

Some information on the number of hours worked by grades in the public service that don't get paid for overtime would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Because those jobs that most people had the competencies for were mainly centralised in Dublin.

Also, who says people didn't consider it. I don't know of anyone in the public sector who earns less than a private sector equivalent.

Qualified accountant in Local Authority €80k....qualified accountant in practice €45k....industry €65k.

Get real will you ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

So, once again, the concensus is that private sector workers eschewed the chance of the cushy, overly well paid, boring job with a gold plated pension in favour of hard work, low pay, no pension and the possibility of being thrown out on your ear at the whim of your employer because they're career driven and better than that.

Give me a break.

Think how bad decision making would be if they'd deigned to take up those public sector jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 new=user

I worked in private sector for years in It. Loved my job. Company closed down and there were no IT jobs down country for area i worked in. Applied for numerous private sector office jobs but was told was over-qualified. Wound up doing civil service exams for clerical officer and eventually got called for interview and got job. Had to drive 50 miles each way to get to my department and started off on point one which i forget what it was but by the time i paid union, pension and travel costs had nothing left. I didn't decide to join service to get cushy number but cos had no choice.

However now i am there can say with certainty it is not a cushy number. And all these poeple making the point that private sector employees had to take pay cuts and why not public sector. Not everyone in private sector has taken pay cuts. Friends of mine (same friends who laughed when they heard salary i was driving miles for) have not taken pay cuts, one in fact has got a pay rise. If they changed levy so it only impacted the higher paid there would not be same opposition to it. Making clerical officers on crap wages pay this levy is ridiculous. And the extra money we are paying we will not get back.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

new=user wrote: »
    Not everyone in private sector has taken pay cuts. Friends of mine (same friends who laughed when they heard salary i was driving miles for) have not taken pay cuts, one in fact has got a pay rise. If they changed levy so it only impacted the higher paid there would not be same opposition to it. Making clerical officers on crap wages pay this levy is ridiculous. And the extra money we are paying we will not get back.............

Very valid point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Alessandra wrote: »
    Very valid point.

Yes, and not everybody in the private sector has been laid off.

Those with an axe to grind against the public sector carry those who have suffered before them on a cross as a holy invocation against argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

new=user wrote: »
    Not everyone in private sector has taken pay cuts. Friends of mine (same friends who laughed when they heard salary i was driving miles for) have not taken pay cuts, one in fact has got a pay rise. If they changed levy so it only impacted the higher paid there would not be same opposition to it. Making clerical officers on crap wages pay this levy is ridiculous. And the extra money we are paying we will not get back.............
    Yeah, yeah, yeah! Yet another excuse to avoid taking a fair share of the pain.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Alessandra wrote: »
    Very valid point.
    No it's not really. Those who have had cuts/redundancies in the private sector are those who generally couldn't afford not to. The public sector can't afford to either, hence the levy.

Seriously, will some people in the public sector not be willing to take a cut until every single member of the private sector has had a pay cut too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

ixoy wrote: »
    No it's not really. Those who have had cuts/redundancies in the private sector are those who generally couldn't afford not to. The public sector can't afford to either, hence the levy.

Seriously, will some people in the public sector not be willing to take a cut until every single member of the private sector has had a pay cut too?

Ill gladly take a paycut when I can afford to buy a home, simple as. That time seems a long way off yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

EF wrote: »
    Ill gladly take a paycut when I can afford to buy a home, simple as. That time seems a long way off yet
    The same could be said of most people - public or private. Some of us won't have any choice in the matter though and that will stretch to the civil and public service too.

Hypothetical as it all is, it'd be interesting to see how we'd be if house prices hadn't gotten ridiculous, forcing wages up and in turn pushing prices up, etc etc - but then that's getting completely off topic!

Advertisement