Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

70-200 or 70-300 lens

• 03-03-2009 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

probably been posted before but new to this game, have a lovely canon 30d with a kit lens at the moment, want to branch out into shooting local gaa matches etc(no puns please) so far have looked at either canon f4l 70-200,sigma ag dpo f4-5.6 70-300 or sigma f2.8 70-200 second hand of course,any advice as always grateful

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I just yesterday ordered a sigma 70-300. It depends on what lenses you have at the moment, but I definately wanted a decent zoom and wouldn't settle for 200mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Do a search,plenty of these threads popping up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

How bout the Canon IS USM 70-300mm? Frickin great lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Doctor Tunes

if you plan on shooting sports id say go for the 2.8 over the 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you have the cash I would get a 70-200 2.8. It'll be bigger and heavier than the others but the f/2.8 makes all the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Rael

Get the 70-200 F/2.8 IS if possible, expensive but well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

+1 on what Rael said.I have this lens and it's worth every penny i paid for it...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Out of curiosity, roughly how much would the f/2.8 cost second hand? And where would you get one?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's not really a lens that depreciates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I got the Sigma 70-200 and its super. F2.8 makes all the difference.
    The Sigma is €899 in Conns or £ 699stg in Jessops, Newry which is €785. The canon is more expensive. You will pick one up now for about €500. The 70-300IS USM is also a very good lens. I also have Canon 55-250 and I think it is a great litte lens.
    If you hav patience wait and save for the F2.8

Some shops will have a second hand one and try ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

You can get the Sigma 70-200 2.8 for €633 on onestop-digital. I used it for a match recently and was blown away with the difference compared to my 70-300 Sigma 4-5.6 APO Lens

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Gambler wrote: »
    You can get the Sigma 70-200 2.8 for €633 on onestop-digital. I used it for a match recently and was blown away with the difference compared to my 70-300 Sigma 4-5.6 APO Lens

thx for all the advice,anyone used onestop-digital.com....gonna bit the bullet and get the sigma 2.8

hoganpoly wrote: »
    thx for all the advice,anyone used onestop-digital.com....gonna bit the bullet and get the sigma 2.8

Give Ian Kerr in Scotland a shout.His email is Kerso1123@msn.com.I just bought a 16gb compact flash card and a Canon 580 EXII flash from him.Really good prices.He gave me a quote for a Canon 1D Mark III and i couldn't believe the price.If you email him he will reply really quickly.Worth checking out before you part with cash.As the Government are always telling us,shop around!!!:D

+1 for Ian. Very good seller. Shame he's all out of 40Ds at the moment. :(

5uspect wrote: »
    +1 for Ian. Very good seller. Shame he's all out of 40Ds at the moment. :(

He won't be out of them for long,usually just a week.He has the 30D at a great price of £399.I nearly bought one from him yesterday as a backup body to my 40D.But i'm leaning towards a 1 series body now...:D

I'm in no great rush so hopefully he'll get back to me soon. The 50D + bodies are way too over priced for my poor academic budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

hoganpoly wrote: »

That's where I got my one :)

If you pay by bank transfer (I did) you can get a 2% discount on the main price and that price includes delivery

I had the lens within 5 work days of lodging the payment to their account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Doctor Tunes

Pinarello wrote: »
    Give Ian Kerr in Scotland a shout.His email is Kerso1123@msn.com.I just bought a 16gb compact flash card and a Canon 580 EXII flash from him.Really good prices.He gave me a quote for a Canon 1D Mark III and i couldn't believe the price.If you email him he will reply really quickly.Worth checking out before you part with cash.As the Government are always telling us,shop around!!!:D
    I sent him an email asking if he had a lens in stock and if he was vat registered. All I got back was, "I'm not vat registered". Doesn't seem very helpful.

I sent him an email asking if he had a lens in stock and if he was vat registered. All I got back was, "I'm not vat registered". Doesn't seem very helpful.

He is VERY helpful.Especially when he tells you how much he charges for stuff compared to what you can buy it for here or other online retailers.Don't be afraid to ask a question a second time...;)

Advertisement