Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Hunt 8th of March

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

I live nowhere even close but you could always call the number and ask :) Though I haven't hunted at all this year, from what I've seen on the train up and down from dublin a few times over the winter ground isnt great anywhere. Then again they tend to put more effort into charity rides and find better ground and things like that so maybe call and ask where it's going through.

Hobbidance wrote: »
    I live nowhere even close but you could always call the number and ask :) Though I haven't hunted at all this year, from what I've seen on the train up and down from dublin a few times over the winter ground isnt great anywhere. Then again they tend to put more effort into charity rides and find better ground and things like that so maybe call and ask where it's going through.

So you are basing your opinion on the ground, from the view from a train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

So you are basing your opinion on the ground, from the view from a train?

Aye, you ever been on the train from Kerry to Dublin? Passes though alooooot of the country side. Most of it's waterlogged to the point of small ponds being formed. Also I have my own land, I know many people around the country who have land and who hunt and all have stated that ground conditions this year are severly bad. It would be difficult to find a patch of ireland not affected by the weather this past winter.

So in summary, I was making a broad, yet general statement about what I have seen of the country and ground over the winter not an expert all-knowing opinion of the ground everywhere. As I said in the comment I also advised them to call the number as they would have the best information. Seeing as they'll have a good idea of where the hunt will be going. So no need of the snide, sarcastic, unnecessary questions thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

We've just had our driest February in 23 years apparently. I dont know where you're seeing this waterlogging. True enough it was bad after the snow, but ground conditions are good now.

Aye, you ever been on the train from Kerry to Dublin? Passes though alooooot of the country side. Most of it's waterlogged to the point of small ponds being formed. Also I have my own land, I know many people around the country who have land and who hunt and all have stated that ground conditions this year are severly bad. It would be difficult to find a patch of ireland not affected by the weather this past winter.

So in summary, I was making a broad, yet general statement about what I have seen of the country and ground over the winter not an expert all-knowing opinion of the ground everywhere. As I said in the comment I also advised them to call the number as they would have the best information. Seeing as they'll have a good idea of where the hunt will be going. So no need of the snide, sarcastic, unnecessary questions thanks :)

Apologies if you think my reply was snide. No offence was intended.

I know I wouldn't make a call on the suitability from land from a train journey and the land in the South East is great this year compared to the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

While I think I see what you're getting at, I think it must be acknowledged that there is a huge difference between what the ground looks like from a distance, how it feels when you walk it on foot and then how that's different again from how it 'rides'. I know I've been caught out a few times after walking a course and thinking that the ground would ride 'soft', only to find when I go to ride that it's actually dead or tacky because it's dried out so much in an hour.

Dr Evil - I don't suppose you know anyone in the area who you could call and have a chat to about the land in the area? As the Glassons are a fox hunt rather than drag hunt, I don't know whether or not they'll be able to give you anything other than a rough outline of where they're planning to head that day, but it's worth a try! Enjoy if you do decide to go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

They wont be foxhunting in March though, so I'd imagine course is pretty determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

fits wrote: »
    They wont be foxhunting in March though, so I'd imagine course is pretty determined.

Most hunts finish their season the first week in March, which means that the Glassons could still be hunting on 8 March.

Advertisement