Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Shamrock to fight former WWE star Bobby Lashley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Rampage has said that he originally planned to train pro wrestling too

The point about Lashley's lack of charisma is worth a mention, because there are some "purist" MMA fans up in arms about the possibility of Lashley getting a shot at Lesnar without earning it. But Lashley isn't going to get pushed like that because he just doesn't have the star power that Brock has. Brock knows what to say to make people want to see him fight. I don't see the two as comparable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Fozzy wrote: »
    That's being ignorant of the nature of pro wrestling. The writers decide where the wrestler features on the card, but it often has nothing to do with actual ability. Brock was an amazing wrestler. Lashley was not by any stretch of the imagination. His matches and interviews were terrible. Memories of him actually put me off wanting to see him in MMA. I was in no rush to see his debut

Yes Lashley was awful in front of the camera building his character, but that has nothing got to do with his ability. The guys is huge (Not Lesnar freakish huge) he's fast athletic and he was impressive in his MMA debut.

When it came to WWE Lesnar was not that special his size makes him look more impressive than he really is - sure he is a top class wrestler but there are lots of top class wrestlers.

Fact of the matter is one shot to Shamrocks head and its all over as I said Ken's punch resistance is gone. It's a shame I really like the guy but he is most certainly shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

This could, and maybe at this stage should, end Ken Shamrock's MMA career. I believe his record was 0-5 prior to fighting that 300+ pound fatass the last day out. At this point he should step aside with some dignity or join the circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I have a feeling this will end up like Mir-Lesnar 1. Shamrock by kneebar:)

In the event of Ken winning it's the most likely eventuality, that he grabs the leg against an inexperienced guy.

Personally i think Lashley is just gonna hit him. It's a good fight for Bobby. Win and he's beaten a legend, lose and no harm , no foul.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    In the event of Ken winning it's the most likely eventuality, that he grabs the leg against an inexperienced guy.

Personally i think Lashley is just gonna hit him. It's a good fight for Bobby. Win and he's beaten a legend, lose and no harm , no foul.

Dont agree with - the last guy to get any props for beating Ken was Rich Franklin, Ken was on the decline then and has slipped even further down the line - there is nothing gained by beating Ken as this stage of his career.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Yes Lashley was awful in front of the camera building his character, but that has nothing got to do with his ability. The guys is huge (Not Lesnar freakish huge) he's fast athletic and he was impressive in his MMA debut.

When it came to WWE Lesnar was not that special his size makes him look more impressive than he really is - sure he is a top class wrestler but there are lots of top class wrestlers.

I was just talking about pro wrestling ability. Lashley was crap, Brock was really great

I was just talking about pro wrestling ability. Lashley was crap, Brock was really great

What was so great about lesnar ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

What was so great about lesnar ?

His agility, mat work, power and psychology for starters.

rovert wrote: »
    His agility, mat work, power and psychology for starters.

Ive a list of guys the length of my arm that fit into that category - the difference with Lesnar is his size...

• Advertisement

Ive a list of guys the length of my arm that fit into that category - the difference with Lesnar is his size...

YES that what in part made him great as he could do what he could do at that size. Your criticism of him is actually adds to Lesnar's greatness as a Wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dragan wrote: »

Lashley could get a ground and pound victory, I dont doubt his talents, he is quite good and I like the way he is modestly building himself up. If and when he does enter the UFC he will have a well rounded game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

what do people think of this 'hybrid card'

Not sure about this one but ill let you know after i see tim sylvia box Ray Mercer in may , a main event for adrenalin 3 no less :mad:

sure its a draw but a boxing mathc to headline a main event of an mma gig????? Its like U2 supporting girls aloud ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

Ken has got 2 get his **** together and retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ken being Ken would probably be well up for that.

Tim Silvia beat him to the punch there with the the boxing match in may :D

YES that what in part made him great as he could do what he could do at that size. Your criticism of him is actually adds to Lesnar's greatness as a Wrestler.

Not once did I criticism Brock - I'm a fan. I was simply sticking up for Lashley.

Not once did I criticism Brock - I'm a fan. I was simply sticking up for Lashley.

Did you ever watch Lashley wrestle? He could do a few flashy moves, but there was no substance. He didn't have good matches. The fans never took to him despite how much he was pushed down their throats

Yeah Ive seen him wrestle but guys on here going on as if Brock is Ray Mysterio in the ring :rolleyes:

Yeah Ive seen him wrestle but guys on here going on as if Brock is Ray Mysterio in the ring :rolleyes:

I don't know what way you're looking at it. Just in terms of flashy moves and athletic ability? Psychology and charisma are miles more important. Brock and Mysterio both had/have plenty in those departments. Lashley had zero of either

Poster were getting on Lashleys back over his lack of "ability" in the WWE when in fact his WWE career means nothing in MMA.

Lashley has the attributes to succeed in MMA the fact he couldnt entertain in front of a mic doesnt come into it thats the points Im making.

• Advertisement

Poster were getting on Lashleys back over his lack of "ability" in the WWE when in fact his WWE career means nothing in MMA.

Lashley has the attributes to succeed in MMA the fact he couldnt entertain in front of a mic doesnt come into it thats the points Im making.

I thought that the original point about his pro wrestling career was that he was nowhere near as good as Brock, didn't have the same fanbase, and therefore won't be that big a draw in MMA relying solely on his WWE career. Because some people seem to think that the two of them will generate the same levels of interest

I thought that the original point about his pro wrestling career was that he was nowhere near as good as Brock, didn't have the same fanbase, and therefore won't be that big a draw in MMA relying solely on his WWE career. Because some people seem to think that the two of them will generate the same levels of interest

Not a chance - People will be interested as he was a wwe star but Lesnar at the time was THE MAN in the WWE.

He was a high level performer in terms of match quality and aptitude.
    Poster were getting on Lashleys back over his lack of "ability" in the WWE when in fact his WWE career means nothing in MMA..

It does charisma and talking is a pretty powerful tool to promote fights and yourself.

You’ve a very strange way and roundabout of putting across your points then.

I wrote this earlier in thread:
    Lashley wasn’t the sponge or the natural that Lesnar or Angle were, some people can not be taught certain things and Bobby was one of those people. I don’t know how this will have any bearing Bobby’s aptitude for MMA as it is a totally different skillset.

So did I but T-K-O seems going round the houses with whatever his point is.

Not a chance - People will be interested as he was a wwe star but Lesnar at the time was THE MAN in the WWE.

As Sean O'Haire set the world on fire right :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Damn....multiquoting strikes again.....

dunkamania wrote: »
    Damn....multiquoting strikes again.....

Well if other posters didnt go round the houses with their posts multiquoting wouldnt be needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lashley is going to win by either KO or TKO within a minute and a half.

Even when not being scripted though, he still appears to be very uncomfortable talking on a mic. He may well end up excelling in MMA, but generally the guys at the top in MMA are both highly skilled and charismatic.

If you can't help sell a PPV then you're only doing half your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

No. I can't agree with a statement like that. It is the fighter's job to fight. It is the promoter's job to promote. Yes, fighters have often been successful in boosting buy-rates through their actions, but that is not their job, That is simply an attempt to make more money for themselves (and more power to them).

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    No. I can't agree with a statement like that. It is the fighter's job to fight. It is the promoter's job to promote. Yes, fighters have often been successful in boosting buy-rates through their actions, but that is not their job, That is simply an attempt to make more money for themselves (and more power to them).

Rubbish most successful fighters are a brand and entity onto themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I would agree with the fighting as half a job statement. Fans can love you or hate you, as long as they want to see you fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

To be honest, i don't think that's what sport is (or at least, what it should be) about. Personally i want to see the best fighters fight each other regardless of their out-of-ring charisma. To say a fighter is not doing their job if they are not actively trying to sell a ppv is wrong for me.

I mean, BJ promoted the hell out of the GSP fight and probably helped sell a lot of ppvs. A lot more ppvs than I imagine GSP would have sold for the event based on how he promoted the fight. BJ did not appear to train for the fight with the same intensity as GSP. Does that mean he did his job better than GSP? Or just as well as him because he sold more PPV's but didn't train as hard?

Is Anderson Silva only doing half his job because he doesn't sell as many PPV's as Brock despite having a far better record in the UFC and being far ahead of him in anyone's P4P rankings?

It you guys are right and it is considered part of a fighters job to sell PPV's, i think it should at least be based on their performances (as in the excitement level of their fights, win or lose) rather than personality and their ability to engage with the crowd/public outside the ring. I mean, i couldn't care less about a fighter's personality, I just want to see the best fights possible on any given card.

Advertisement