Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono and U2 Lead Vocals

Options
  • 03-03-2009 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Its quite obvious Bono is the only one that can sing and maybe that 'edge' guy. But the other do do NOTHING, why the hell are they even there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

to make a half hearted attempt to play drums and bass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Because they play drums and bass and their not Westlife.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

unregged. wrote: »
    Its quite obvious Bono is the only one that can sing and maybe that 'edge' guy. But the other do do NOTHING, why the hell are they even there?

What a ridiculous statement :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

What a crock of sh1t.

Listen to the earbleeding bassline on Get On Your Boots and the drums on Sunday Bloody Sunday (to name but one) to see if your statement stands up.

You're not mixing them up with Shane and the other clown outta Boyzone by any chance? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

You don't know alot about music, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some of the OP's posts today remind me of something. You know, one of those things that lives under a bridge and attacks gruff billy-goats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think he wants to get into the soccer forum and is racking up 50 posts in whatever fashion he can manage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Get out a wah pedal and a flanger pedal and try to play Mysterious Ways without bass or drums. You'll find it really sucks without either.

In fact you could probably do the same with any band out there. I absolutely ****ing hate it when people say Adam Clayton is a bad bass guitarist. The Eight Note Bars he plays aren't because "he's got no talent at doing anything else", it's because when you want a song to sound big and anthemic, one thing you can do is play eighth notes. Just listen to the bass (and indeed the drums) in the Killers' When You Were Young, and Mr. Brightside - sound familiar? It's a direct copy of Adam and Larry's style. Why copy it? Because it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Actually, Larry can sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I never liked U2, and could never see what all the fuss was about, that's just my opinion, however this thread sounds "trollish" to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭unregged.

Rigsby wrote: »
    I never liked U2, and could never see what all the fuss was about, that's just my opinion, however this thread sounds "trollish" to me.

If you have a problem then report it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 pcworldsucks

if you want all the guys in the band to be singing go buy a westlife or 'insert homo boyband here' album. Larrys a great drummer and while adam isnt a tecnical genius on the bass, and he doesnt need to be anyway, he does come up with some good bass lines and obviously is a perfect fit for the whole vibe of the band which is important and is the reason U2 are still going while other bands only managed an album or 2 before getting sick of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

OP, suggest you listen to the following U2 tunes and dare to tell me clayton, whilst not a technical genius on the bass, has committed to record some downright sharp and funky basslines down through the years:

Lemon
    Mysterious ways
    Boots
    New Years day
    With or Without you
    Daddys gonna pay for your crashed car
    Vertigo

these are just a few.

As another poster also pointed out, playing in eights lends itself to anthemic tunes of which U2 are most proficient.

Further, his nickname is not "sparky" for nothing...go figure.

As for Larry - he will admit he is not the most technically proficient drummer there has been, he doesn't do drum solos, but my god what a strong drummer. Chad Smith paid homage to his drum line in "Sunday Bloody sunday" from their live at hyde park album.

The new album indeed has some classic moments from the rhythm section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

It's also worth noting that New Years Day and Mysterious Ways were songs written around those bass lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Larry Mullen started the band and in the same vein as Lars Ulrich, is one of the principle reasons the band stays strong. Technically profitient? No. One of the main reasons U2 are still together? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Stephansplatz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVJQutwtd3c&eurl=http://u2log.com/2009/03/06/its-a-beautiful-day-for-u2-on-letterman/

eat your heart our Jason Orange

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

haha epic :D
    Back on topic. Seriously dude? Why did you even ask this question.
    I could go on but id only repeat what everyone has just said. Listen To Sunday bloody Sunday and New years day... then take a few simple music lessons and come back to the thread.
    Urgh Trolls in the morning :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hmmm, it would appear that the OP has been banned.

Advertisement