Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Dead?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I have a Radeon 9800. Previously if I swiveled my monitor I would get a red tinge on the screen. I would just fix the DVI connection in the back of the monitor and it would be fine. However the other day the display went altogether and hasb't come back. I thought it was one of two things:

1) The cable was knackered
    2) The DVI connection on the back of my monitor was broken

I hooked my XBox 360 up to the VGA connection of my monitor and there were no issues so I thought connecting a VGA cable to the monitor from my PC would work. No luck.

So, it would seem to be that my graphics card has died. Would this be unusual?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

Sounds like its dead. Open the computer check if the fan is running my have over heated. Check it with another monitor to be sure its the graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I'll check it on my flatscreen TV. Didn't realise they could die all of a sudden like that especially when fiddling with the back of the cable sorted out the display (for a while anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Try reseating the gfx card as it may have come lose from pulling it with dvi cable.

Tried that one, no joy though:(

Okay, as this seems to be gone can anybody recommend a similar, if not lesser, card for my system (Dell Dimension 8300). I just want to be able to browse the net and access all the stuff from my hard drive. I use my 360 and PS3 for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Literally anything would be fine for such purposes - even an ancient 2-4mb PCI card would suffice. I have a few spare old PCI cards ranging from 1MB-8MB, that I use for back ups in the event of my main card going bust, it's always wise to keep one or two handy and they've justified their cost 100 times over (not that hard, considering they were either free or cost about 2 euro :D).

The easiest thing would be to look for a card on www.adverts.ie, 10 euro would net you a 64MB Radeon 9200 or Geforce 4 AGP card - or the cost of just postage would probably get you and older AGP or PCI card.

Right, changed out my graphics card with a GeForce FX5500, still no joy. Is it possible that the AGP slot is not working? I only have one slot on my PC so can't check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ColonelCarnage

I imagine it would take quite a bit to knacker a agp slot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Are you sure your computer is even working?

What i would do now is try the video card you think is dead and use it in another machine. If it works then its not the video card and could be motherboard or PSU that is wrong with your machine.

Yeah, I'm guessing that there is a problem with the mother board. The computer powers up no problems and the fans starts on the graphics card. If it is the motherboard is it a big deal to get fixed or would I be just better off buying a new comp at this stage. There is a lot of info on the hard drive that I want.

• Advertisement

If you do find its your computer dead, and you want to save the info on it. I think your left with a few options.

1. Buy a new harddrive. When setting up your computer make sure to install windows on your new drive.
    2. Remove your drive and stick it into another machine and take all the info you want from it.
    3. You can always get someone else to do it like PC world or who ever.. but they prob charge a-lot of money for very little effort. But if the info is that improtant then it might be worth doing.

We would need to know the full spec of your computer. But im thinking its old as its AGP..
    You could always replace the motherboard and its prob going to be cheap. You be shocked at what you can pick up for next to noting on e-bay.

Yeah the computer is old. Think I got it in 2003. It's a Dell Dimension 8300 with 512MB RAM, 80G Hard Drive and 3GHz Pentium 4. The PSU is 250W. As for any of the other specs I wouldn't have a clue.

I like the idea of buying a new rig and slotting my old hard drive in. Is this easy enough to do and would I be able to boot of this drive as opposed to the new drive. I was looking at the PCs here

http://www.cheaplaptops.ie/custom-pc-systems-56-c.asp

Any thoughts?

Are you building yourself or going pre-built? Budget? Purpose? These are the questions...

Lots of places that you can buy your computer in full. Like Dell also the link you provided or komplett to say a few, lots of computers sites out on the net.

Or you can buy all the bits and bobs and put it together your self. If you like that idea then i would go and look at the section "building & upgrading".

Its easy to install your old harddrive into a new machine, but you will not be able to boot off the drive you have now, without re-installing windows on it for it to work on your new machine. While your old drive is in your new machine (i hope im clear).

To be honest if you have a friend whos handy with computers. Ask him if you can put your harddrive into his machine and then take the info you want from it.

You have lots of options about your computer.
    1. Find out whats wrong and fix/replace the part that is broken.
    2. Buy a dell machine or something on that line.
    3. Buy all the parts and build your own machine. Would need to do a-lot of reading and research before you do this.

I would recommend Komplett if you want to get a pre-built computer as opposed to dell. Komplett willlet you choose whatever you want for your pc and then build it for you and ship it for a reasonable fee where as dell can be a bit more expensive when you go outside of the default configurations althought they do have great customer service...for a few months till they move to poland.

I would recommend Komplett if you want to get a pre-built computer as opposed to dell. Komplett willlet you choose whatever you want for your pc and then build it for you and ship it for a reasonable fee where as dell can be a bit more expensive when you go outside of the default configurations althought they do have great customer service...for a few months till they move to poland.

I don't think Komplett do pre-built desktops anymore (can't find it on their website anyway).

Unfortunately I wouldn't be too knowledgable on the hardware side of computers so I wouldn't dare try and build one. I'd only make a mess of it and the whole lot would probably end up in the bin.

Might get this one fixed (living in Cork at the moment and there seems to be a few places around that do it) but the time is drawing near for a new purchase me thinks.

huh thats weird! Turns out its not on the site! They must have stopped doing it only recently :eek:

Advertisement