Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A decent pint of pride !

• 03-03-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Ohhhh I was back home in London at the weekend......

Drinking London Pride ( from a decent pub not a JDW beer super market ) ....

£2.75 a pint , and the nicest pint you will ever drink !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think London Pride is the most over-rated beer in England. I mean it's nice, but it's not that nice. And compared to Fuller's London Porter or ESB it's in the ha'penny place. I am, however, the only person who seems to think this.

So, Pride fans, what makes it so good? What am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Pride is a ' session beer '.

I love ESB , but I couldn't drink more than 1 pint of it to be honest.

I don't know I suppose it's what you are used to , I grew up in West London , hense I love Pride !

It's a nice clean easy drinking pint ....... ( if its well kept of course )

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Pride is a ' session beer '.
    OK, but next to the likes of Harvey's Best or Young's Ordinary I think Pride has little to say for itself, flavourwise. I can describe the distinctive elements of those two common session bitters, but I couldn't tell you anything special about the taste of Pride. I have to be missing something. What?
    ( if its well kept of course )
    The last pint I had was in The Victoria near Paddington. It's a recent Fuller's pub-of-the-year and is renowned for the quality of its Pride in particular. I still didn't get it.

It's entirely possible it's the ' away from home thing '

I know that many Irish abroad would wax lyrical about the Guinness in Ireland etc , when in all truthfulness .............

Or things like red lemonade .

I like the slightly ' nutty ' flavour , that it doesn't give me a headache , that its not creamy . I never liked Youngs , tasted too ' bitter ' ( for want of different word )

I think we have discussed this before on this forum :)

It's entirely possible it's the ' away from home thing '
    Well you're certainly not the only person I've heard extol the virtues of a well-kept pint of Pride, and I don't think any of the others were straight outta Chiswick or anything.
    I like the slightly ' nutty ' flavour
    OK, I'll look out for that one.
    I never liked Youngs , tasted too ' bitter ' ( for want of different word )
    Yes, Young's and Harvey's are both much bitterer than Pride.
    I think we have discussed this before on this forum :)
    Evidently whatever I'm drinking is rotting my brain faster than London Pride does :D Another point in its favour.

• Advertisement

I was in here

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/44/4473/Prince_Of_Wales/Uxbridge

perfectly good working pub, and GOOD Pride.

Thinking about this , it could also be my brother worked for Fullers for a couple of years.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

It is a great session beer, and has wonderful flavour for a beer that has no more alcohol than a pint of Heineken. I'm a huge fan of their London Porter, but honestly prefer the taste of Pride to ESB. Maybe I have an uncouth palate, but Pride is one of my favourite ales, be it on tap or even from a bottle.

IronMan wrote: »
    wonderful flavour for a beer that has no more alcohol than a pint of Heineken.
    It's the great talent of English brewers that they can do this, and a tragedy of the Irish beer market that brewers are unwilling to send out beers under 4% ABV, except as low-alcohol editions of stronger ones.

Porterhouse TSB, incidentally, is absolutely jam-packed with flavour and is only 3.7%. But if you don't like your bitter to be bitter it might be best avoided. The second one always tastes better than the first, however :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Yea I do like a nice int of pride or ESB. It's their yeast that give it that unique flavor and a little bit of diacetyl (butter/butterscotch flavor) that is left behind that mega brewer would see as a brewing flaw.

Also its a testament of what you cam do with a very simple recipe approximately 4-5% crystal malt and 94-5% pale malt

oblivious wrote: »
    It's their yeast that give it that unique flavor
    To the point where some of our nation's foremost beer experts :Dcouldn't tell Pride from ESB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

BeerNut wrote: »
    I

Porterhouse TSB, incidentally, is absolutely jam-packed with flavour and is only 3.7%.:D

I used to be a regular consumer of the Porterhouse TSB, but have diverted to the Galway Hooker and Wrasslers when I visit the place these days. The TSB is a fine beer though, I couldn't have more than than maybe 2 though.

I do find it very hard to go past Wrassler's. It's a superb beer. But at 5% ABV it's not really in the session-beer stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

BeerNut wrote: »
    I do find it very hard to go past Wrassler's. It's a superb beer. But at 5% ABV it's not really in the session-beer stakes.

With Wrasslers, I actually find that it goes down better after a pint of Plain to being with as it's a little too sharp to start with. That said, I'll move to a bottled stout towards the end of the night, usually a Youngs Double Chocolate or two.

Advertisement