Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a back boiler

• 03-03-2009 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi, i am in the market for a back boiler and was wondering what is the best place to buy one, new or 2nd hand preferably in the galway area. Also are there any models i should be partial too and any i should stay clear of?

I am putting a back boiler in behind an open solid fuel fire.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Any good hardware's merchants will have them.

Have you thought this one through?
    They can be a very good asset, they can also be a waste of money, depending on your circumstances.

How far is the draw to the cylinder?
    Is the cylinder in a hotpress already or will it be new?
    How often do you use the fire?
    Your central heating is it rads or UF?
    Is your house single or two storey?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭purerandom

appreciate the info Uncle Tom.
    the fire will be used almost every evening, the central heating is rads, and its a 2 storey.
    My plumbing\heating knowledge is zero. The hot press is almost directly over this fire and contains a large cylinder.

how much will the back boiler cost and then how much should i be paying a plumber to fit it would you think?

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

All the info you give are plusses, imo.
    If your cylinder does not have a spare coil (and why would it) you will need to replace it. You will also need copper/stainless pipework to and from the cylinder and back boiler, you will also need an expansion tank, usually in the attic space. All in about €4,000 I would say. Make sure all works are lagged properly.

The main drawback from using a back boiler is this. If you are using it in conjunction with, say, oil heating, when the fire at the back boiler is not lighting the back boiler is being heated by the oil and used as a radiator itself heating up the chimney breast.

So if the fireplace with the backboiler is most often lighting, except at the height of summer when no heating is on, then you will be fine. Good Luck.:)

thanks for all that, you have been a brilliant help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Last October - Client got new back boiler(well known brand) new cylinder, new pipework to hot press etc including labour & vat €1500.:D

• Advertisement

thx guys,
    quick question.
    i have 6 rads downstairs and 8 upstairs.
    will an 18" firebird challenger back boiler do the trick?

Advertisement