Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing glass from PVC window

Options
  • 03-03-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi, Me and my brother are building a timber shed, and we've got a large (8' x 4') PVC window we want to use. The thing is, it weighs a ton - we can barely lift it together. We're going to cut it down (it has an opening sash at each end, and we will cut one off, making it about 6' wide.) but it'll still be very heavy and the two of us might not be able to install it.

Is it possible/feasible to remove the glass so that we can work with it more easily, then re-install the glass afterwards?

While I'm at it, does anyone have any general advice about how to install a PVC window in a timber shed? We have never done anything like this before...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

firefly08 wrote: »
    Hi, Me and my brother are building a timber shed, and we've got a large (8' x 4') PVC window we want to use. The thing is, it weighs a ton - we can barely lift it together. We're going to cut it down (it has an opening sash at each end, and we will cut one off, making it about 6' wide.) but it'll still be very heavy and the two of us might not be able to install it.

Is it possible/feasible to remove the glass so that we can work with it more easily, then re-install the glass afterwards?

While I'm at it, does anyone have any general advice about how to install a PVC window in a timber shed? We have never done anything like this before...

Thanks in advance!

Go to the back of the window and take out all the rubber seals.

Push the D/G unit towards the back of the frame then push the outter glaze strip in first to clear the lip then away from the edge.

Then do the sides in the same manner.

If you are able to turn the window upside down now and remove the last slip.

Keep note of where everything goes.

When putting it all back do it in reverse order.

Believe me anybody can put uPVC windows in, just follow the method used to take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't forget that you will find it more difficult to maintain a true square on the frame with the glass out. So ensure that you measure twice, cut once and measure again and again...

Advertisement