Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type 1 Diabetes No Longer

Options
  • 03-03-2009 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

I was diagnosed Type 1 in early December 2008. From the day I left hospital I had been reducing my insulin so much so that I am almost a month now without talking any medication what so ever. At first I had put it down to the honeymoon peroid but the diabetes nurses have said they have never seen anyone honeymooning take no insulin at all. I am waiting on blood tests at the moment to find out what exactly is going on. I have changed my diet and do some form of exercise everyday.
    I am still testing my bloods as a Type 1 with perfect levels. Hopefully I got lucky this time but got a good kick in the arse. Anyone hear of this happening before ???.

Dayo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

wow! I did have days in my honeymoon period where I didn't have to take any insulin, but I'd normally have higher blood sugars as a result. Let us know what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

tbh wrote: »
    wow! I did have days in my honeymoon period where I didn't have to take any insulin, but I'd normally have higher blood sugars as a result. Let us know what happens!

Will let ye know what happens Blood work had to be sent to England to be tested so probably be another 2 weeks before I know whats going on, Possibility I am a Type 2 or maybe a 1.5. Keeping the fingers crossed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have heard of the type 1.5 before and indeed, when we set up this forum first, someone sent me a message to say that they had had diabetes but it turned out they were misdiagnosed. I'll try to find details, but fair play Dayo, sounds like for the moment you might have a result!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I seem to recall something about Steve Redgrave being diagnosed as type 1 after one Olympics, but by the next one he wasn't anymore. Next Olympics around though he was type 1 again, but I'd assumed his weiredness was down to all the training that he would have been doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I was off insulin for 1.5 years after first being diagnosed (with normal bloods), was only 11 at the time and underweight...I hope that it works out for you but this situation can happen, sorry. I now produce no insulin whatsoever and am totally controlled by injections. Do let us know what happens though.

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I was off insulin for 1.5 years after first being diagnosed (with normal bloods), was only 11 at the time and underweight...I hope that it works out for you but this situation can happen, sorry. I now produce no insulin whatsoever and am totally controlled by injections. Do let us know what happens though.

Interesting to hear that, I am not convinced myself that i could be this lucky but will keep the fingers crossed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

It sounds like honeymooning or else that you are pre diabetic

Phototoxin wrote: »
    It sounds like honeymooning or else that you are pre diabetic

I thought I was honeymooning myself, Speaking to the Diabetic Nurses though they were saying they have never seen anyone honeymooning take no insulin what so ever. Hopefully will get the results of my blood tests soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stinkybum

Jaysus good luck !!
    I have a pal who didnt have to take insulin for the first 2 years before it kicked in proper.
    Best of luck - i really hope it lasts for you.
    Whats type 1.5 ??

stinkybum wrote: »
    Jaysus good luck !!
    I have a pal who didnt have to take insulin for the first 2 years before it kicked in proper.
    Best of luck - i really hope it lasts for you.
    Whats type 1.5 ??

Cheers

Some good info here

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_types/whatype.php

• Advertisement

Finally got the results of my blood tests and they came back as normal :D, I have now been 2 months without insulin and my Blood Sugar levels are good. I am going in for a CT scan tomorrow for further investigation. Hopefully this will reveal a bit more of whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

Dayo93 wrote: »
    I was diagnosed Type 1 in early December 2008. From the day I left hospital I had been reducing my insulin so much so that I am almost a month now without talking any medication what so ever. At first I had put it down to the honeymoon peroid but the diabetes nurses have said they have never seen anyone honeymooning take no insulin at all. I am waiting on blood tests at the moment to find out what exactly is going on. I have changed my diet and do some form of exercise everyday.
    I am still testing my bloods as a Type 1 with perfect levels. Hopefully I got lucky this time but got a good kick in the arse. Anyone hear of this happening before ???.

Dayo

The only sound explaination I can imagine is that you were misdiagnosised day 1, type one comes down to the cells in pancreas no exercise or lifestyle can change them if u have T1 diabetes, wat age r u? If ur around 15 - 20 mayb u hav misdiagnosised type 2, im not a doctor btw, but be careful messin with ur insulin levels u could pass out etc could b dangerous

Advertisement