Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should deliberately ban = site ban?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Long Version:
    I just thought I'd field this suggestion. It'll probably get shot down, but it's a slow day in work and I need to occupy my time.

Every now and again in some forums, someone will throw a hissy fit and get themselves deliberately banned from a forum just so that they can break one of the charter rules (usually to insult someone). They don't intend on using that forum again and so have nothing to lose. A good example is this on from the Conspiracy Theories.

Amacachi was getting no where with and an argument and then decides he wants to break the charter so that he can insult the OP.

It happens all the time, where someone is just pricking about. So my suggestion/question is when someone does the above, with the clear intent to break a forum charter and admits that they know they will get banned for it, should they get some other punishment, such as a temporary site ban, or something?

My thinking is that it's kind of showing disrespect for the site in general as the troll knows they don't get punished (not in a way that effects them at all). A site ban would discourage people from flagrantly breaking the charter to make themselves feel big.

I realise that in order to avoid such a punishment the user only has to leave out the "Permaban please so I never consider coming back in here" bit, but the point is that it's people happily flaunting the rules and then pretty much bragging about it that gets my goat up! Maybe I'm just being spiteful. Actually, there's no maybe about it, I am being spiteful. But nobody likes a smart arse, so why should they be able to get away with it?

Short Version:
    Temp site ban trolls for this sort of sh1t.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Surely a permaban from said forum would suit them just fine? Plenty of people have done the same thing in the Politics fora - they get so disagreeable they want to make sure they never wind up there again. In the long run theyre doing the forum a favor by not getting themselves wound up in the future from reading things they obviously dont care to read.

I cant see the OP getting terribly offended - after all Amacachi gets banned doesnt he? Justice served. Its like saying Someone MEANT to rob that bank, so we should give them the death penalty. For which, your argument doesnt make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

humanji wrote: »
    A good example is this on from the Conspiracy Theories.

Amacachi was getting no where with and an argument and then decides he wants to break the charter so that he can insult the OP.

Its annoying alright but in that case I gave an infraction as well as a permaban (which wont be lifted in my lifetime!) and I think thats all we can really do.

The Red Card Infraction expires after 10 days but will stay on the perps (:D) profile permanently (visible to the user, mods, cmods, smods, community managers and admins). There is a case of something like 10 red cards in 10 days results in a temp site ban but I dont know the specifics?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when did they let you out of your wizard hat? now they have you modding half-tangible forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Overheal wrote:
    Surely a permaban from said forum would suit them just fine? Plenty of people have done the same thing in the Politics fora - they get so disagreeable they want to make sure they never wind up there again. In the long run theyre doing the forum a favor by not getting themselves wound up in the future from reading things they obviously dont care to read.

I cant see the OP getting terribly offended - after all Amacachi gets banned doesnt he? Justice served. Its like saying Someone MEANT to rob that bank, so we should give them the death penalty. For which, your argument doesnt make much sense.
    Well it's more a case of someone robbing a bank and getting banned from that particular branch.

If they get away with it in one forum, then they can do it in any other forum they feel like taking the piss out of. Then others will see that it's fun to to and they do it too.

I think General Melchett said it best:
    You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think a forum permaban is enough.

Of course the best tonic is to immediately delete the offending post so the poster doesn't even get the benefit of a 'last stand'. Instead they are ushered quietly into the night, and surprisingly for them, the world keeps turning without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

What i do if its someone breaking the charter on purpose,and flaming the forum is-red card infraction plus long to permanent ban. Its not yet happened,but if it was a load of different things i'll infract for each offense as well as ban.

If they don't give a toss about the forum,a ban won't phase them,the ban is so users don't have to put up with their ****, infractions will bring them closer to site ban,and to the attention of other mods.

Its not a sitewide policy,its just my policy on dealing with asshats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What you're all missing here is that forum bans aren't meant to be a 'punishment' they're a tool moderators are supposed to use to reduce noise in a thread and steer it back on topic by removing the noise creator.
    If the noise creator re-offends consistently then they are permanently removed.

I don't like the concept that users or moderators think they (we) are punishing people, we are there to ensure the smooth running of the site and facilitate the enjoyment if it by the majority, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not saying anyone who breaks the rules should be site-banned, only suggesting that those who have actually shown contempt for those rules to be give a short site ban or soemthing to show that what they've done won't be tolerated on any level in any forum. Infractions don't really work because they die out after 10 days, don't they? Granted, if someone was continually causing hassle, it'll be and has been quickly dealt with. But I just don't like the way people can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Dades wrote: »
    I think a forum permaban is enough.

Of course the best tonic is to immediately delete the offending post so the poster doesn't even get the benefit of a 'last stand'. Instead they are ushered quietly into the night, and surprisingly for them, the world keeps turning without them.

Aaah c'mon,at least let a guy go down in flames, that is just a godless thing to do:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What, and create a martyr? No way! :P

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Red card infractions will be something I look at when considering a site ban for a user. If its a 50/50 call I'll review their infractions to see if they are just having a bad day or if they are a serial a$$hole.

Everyone is entitled to a bad day... (thats not to say we need to put up with it though).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

humanji wrote: »
    only suggesting that those who have actually shown contempt for those rules to be give a short site ban or soemthing to show that what they've done won't be tolerated on any level in any forum.

I think he was pissed off because the poster he was replying to wasn't really answering his posts.

CT is different to the most of the other Boards forums as is the Paranormal forum and I'd even say the European Union forum, as we get a fair bit of NWO and vague generalisations there too.

Personally, I'd ban the poster and delete the requesting post, though maybe add a note that they requested a ban, as it says more about the poster and their posting style.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

6th wrote: »
    Its annoying alright but in that case I gave an infraction as well as a permaban (which wont be lifted in my lifetime!) and I think thats all we can really do.

The Red Card Infraction expires after 10 days but will stay on the perps (:D) profile permanently (visible to the user, mods, cmods, smods, community managers and admins). There is a case of something like 10 red cards in 10 days results in a temp site ban but I dont know the specifics?

And Amods ;)
    but ssshhhhh, we don't really exist, we're like them black helicopters that pick people up in broad daylight but nobody hears them because they'rea secret, sshhhh ;)

Advertisement