Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is my boss out of line here?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Goin unreg for this.
    Today i'm dying of the flue and called in at 8:45 saying i wouldn't be in because of this(work starts at 10).
    The boss tutted and muttered under her breath when i told her and basically showed a complete an utter lack of respect on the phone, then pretty much gave out to me saying 'call me later today i need to know about tommorow,' in the coldest possible manner.
    I'm not looking for sympathy but it was blatantly obvious she didn't believe me.
    I was polite back on the phone, but needless to say i was livid. I was going to text her back about it but i held back. Should i report her on this or would that come back to bite me in the ass?
    Also this boss threatens me with warnings (and has given them) whenever i've called in saying I am running late. Is this fair game? I've gotten warnings before because the bus was late (despite calling in to tell her this from the bus stop).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sounds to me like you have a problem with attendance and/or getting to work on time.

When was the last time you rang in sick?

As for warnings about lateness, she's perfectly entitled to do this. Just because you rang to say you were going to be late, doesn't excuse the fact you weren't at work on time.

If you regularly have a problem with the bus being late, can you not get an earlier bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

As eth0 said the bus is not your bosses problem ,it's yours.

How often have you been sick over the last 12 months ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Second to everything Ethos said.

First of all, I hope you feel better soon. Secondly, I'm not really sure what you mean here by "out of line". Are you asking if you have a right to be annoyed or do you think your boss is being unprofessional?

Legally she's not doing anything wrong. There's certainly nothing you can report her for! What do you intend to say "I honestly had the 'flu. Really. But (boss) didn't believe me!" A lot of people blanch at the word "'flu" because some people use it even if they just have the sniffles. Which sucks for people who genuinely have the 'flu. As a guide, if you can get out of bed and stand up, you don't have the 'flu. Maybe your boss is one of those people.

If you are late (for any reason) she can give you a warning. If you miss a bus or sleep in or something similiar it's at your boss' descrection. Most of the time if you're only late three or four times a year either your boss won't be bothered giving you a warning or, if she does, it won't get you into trouble because your "lates" are so sporadic. Same thing with missing days. If it's only once in a while it won't usually be a problem, these things usually only become a problem when bosses think they're employees are taking the p*ss.

Be honest, are you late a lot? Even with a genuine reason? Do you miss a lot of days? If the honest answer is yes (more than once in a two month period) then it's understandable why your boss was the way she was on the phone.

Even if you don't have a lot of lates or missed days, you can't report her. I once had to take some time off to go to a dentist in order to get a tooth extracted and the company put a warning on my record. My tooth was really bad all weekend and the dentist offered me a Monday morning appointment but I thought "I can't do that, I need to give (company) some notice." so I made the appointment for Tuesday morning instead. I found out about the black mark after I had left the hell-hole company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

So, you ring and give an hours notice that you wont be in, this pisses off your boss who now has to rejig her whole day because your not in, then she asks you to let her know if you will be in tomorrow so that she can organise her day.

yeah thats worth reporting her over.

hope your better soon.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Goin unreg for this.
    Today i'm dying of the flue and called in at 8:45 saying i wouldn't be in because of this(work starts at 10).
    The boss tutted and muttered under her breath when i told her and basically showed a complete an utter lack of respect on the phone, then pretty much gave out to me saying 'call me later today i need to know about tommorow,' in the coldest possible manner.
    I'm not looking for sympathy but it was blatantly obvious she didn't believe me.
    I was polite back on the phone, but needless to say i was livid. I was going to text her back about it but i held back. Should i report her on this or would that come back to bite me in the ass?
    Also this boss threatens me with warnings (and has given them) whenever i've called in saying I am running late. Is this fair game? I've gotten warnings before because the bus was late (despite calling in to tell her this from the bus stop).
    Now let's be honest, do you really have the flu? .... really?

Flu's (in my experience) aren't just there when you wake up in the morning, they take days to develop, and when they do, you're not likely to post a pissy message on the interenet.

Having a cold is not a good enough reason to call in sick imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Nothing wrong with being cold on the phone, it makes people uncomfortable so that they wont ring in sick in future if they arent really sick. Personally as a manager myself I wouldnt be like that to any of my staff unless they call in sick frequently especially after a saturday night!

Advertisement