Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For anyone whose Dog(s) sleeps in the back Garden...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well said Little A.:)

I think this thread has lost the run of itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

dolly13 wrote: »
    Where and why were you led to believe that it was accepted that the 17,000 figure was accepted who do you think accepts it? I don't and I don't know anybody that does.. Also your rant here at people to get their figures straight maybe you should do the same if you goolgle this you will get lots of different stats for both the UK and Ireland

And what is your issue with sending dogs to europe.. on one hand your trying to say that Irish people accept the 17,000 figure and then you are critisicising rescues for sending dogs abroad in an effort to reduce this figure

And again, back to your critiscism of peoples figures do tell where did you get your 5000 plus figure a year.. again a bit blatant.. The treatment of greyhounds in this country is dreadful but this is largely down to the actions of individuals , not all obviously involved in the racing industry. and " you never see a greyhound as a pet" Where do you look? I live in Dublin and I regularly see people out walking their greyhounds as pets.. Granted there aren't huge amounts of it but come on disco dog their not rare..

And "Ireland is in a killing class of it's own" Come on!
    I think his problem is that we still buy kennels, therefore the 17,000 dogs a year will still be killed.
    So if we started a petition to get people to stop beating dogs to death with their kennels, everyone would be happy! Except the peolpe who sell kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ireland is in a class of it's own when it comes to putting animals to sleep. I wish I could jump on the bandwagon and say "oh DiscoDog you are soooo silly, of course we're not in a class of our own" etc etc but unfortunately he's right.

And I find it funny how it's racist (:confused:) to say this yet it's ok to say that dogs sleeping outside is "a country thing" LOL.

I fail to see the connection between dogs sleeping outside and dogs being PTS but you can't argue with the figures DiscoDog has produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ireland is in a class of it's own when it comes to putting animals to sleep. I wish I could jump on the bandwagon and say "oh DiscoDog you are soooo silly, of course we're not in a class of our own" etc etc but unfortunately he's right.

And I find it funny how it's racist (:confused:) to say this yet it's ok to say that dogs sleeping outside is "a country thing" LOL.

I fail to see the connection between dogs sleeping outside and dogs being PTS but you can't argue with the figures DiscoDog has produced.

No, but it's hardly the thread for it. Someone asked advice about her dog sleeping outside and all of a sudden we're nothing but dog killers who buy kennels.

I agree it's not the thread, but why are people saying that his stats are wrong, or even more laughably saying that he's racist for saying so. :confused:

On Topic - OP has this thread been any help at all, have you decided yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I wouldn't argue Disco's stats and I certainly wouldn't call him racist. He is just ashamed, disillusioned and slightly confused as to what the thread is about.

I just hope he is doing what he can to solve the problem.

I feel preaching on this forum won't to him any good. It's like going on to the motors forum and preaching about how beautiful and fast Ferrari's are.

Oh I know you didn't call him racist lightening! I didn't mean you - sorry if you thought I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have never bought a kennel from a shop in my life. I source them from Garden Shed providers etc. and I think many shops have old stock for that reason. On one hand you say it is difficult to buy a kennel in the UK and elsewhere you cite a shop with 2 in stock for years. Not hard to buy one there surely!
    Yes we put down 17,000 (some say less but however we'll go with it) in Ireland. The UK put down 126,000 last year (almost 3000 greyhounds alone) so what is your point? I don't have up to date figures for Germany but I do know their per Capita dog ownership is very much lower than Britain or Ireland. Scandanavia is too broad a term for me to pull my stats together as I don't know if you mean just Norway, Sweden, and Denmark or if you are including Finland and others.

I responded to a direct question.
    The figure above of 126,000 is wrong by about 120,000 !
    I did not initiate taking this thread off topic.
    I am Irish so how can I be racist
    I have worked as a volunteer in rescues including wildlife rescues for over 20 years.

In the interest of not being accussed of hijacking threads I will start a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I started another of these ridicilous debates when i asked a question where'd i get a dog kennel?!! As loads of other posters have said it depends on the dog whether or not to leave it outside at night (not chuck it outside as someone else said).

I have a lab puppy (he's 6 months old) and we put him in a kingspan insulated kennel most nights (when its cold/snowing) he stays in the utility room. He loves being inside with us but as soon as we go towards the back door he is on our heels and as soon as he goes outside he's running around, running in and out of his kennell and up the field at the back of the house. The gallops of him does be so funny!! Anyway when we go to tie him at night he walks into his kennell by himself, sits at the door 4 a min and then walks to the back of it and lies down.

They adapt so quickly. Its not "bad" or "immoral" to put YOUR dog outside cos its YOUR choice whether you want to or not. I chose to put mine outside and i wouldnt have it any other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think LittleA has a point.

Do people also realise that many rescues ..good rescues that look after the dogs very well, have to keep the dogs outside there's only so many you can fit in a house you know. Does this make them a bad rescue, ok eventually the dogs get homed to indoor homes but it can take a long time to re home a dog and in the mean time the dog is very well looked after but just happens to be sleeping outside. Some might have access to heated kennels or heat lamps but not always because there are so many dogs needs homes theres bound to be many that have to be housed outdoors.

I believe every dog owner should have a dog kennel (if they have a garden that is) wether the dog is indoors or outdoors. To be used as somewhere for the dog to go if it's too wet or too hot when they are playing outside with their owners or wether they live outside. Either way owners must spend a lot of time with them but if a dog is to spend any amount of time in a garden there should always be a kennel there. Same for cats wether and any other animal wether they are indoors or outdoors there should be a sheltered area for them to go if they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Discodog wrote: »
    I am Irish so how can I be racist

LOLZ

post of the day

obviously its an impossibility

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

dlambirl wrote: »
    Anyway when we go to tie him at night he walks into his kennell by himself, sits at the door 4 a min and then walks to the back of it and lies down.

Tie him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

I wondered at that too.

Skillie wrote: »
    Tie him?

Skillie wrote: »
    Tie him?

I tie the door of the enclosure (more like half size of wembly!!) every night. I want to get rid of the enclosure soon though. Its an eyesore and he never seems to leave his kennel at night and most times when i'm letting him out in the morning i seem to be waking him up!! Lazy git :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I think "our" dog was sent out the back as soon as it was brought home if I remember right.

Just a couple of observations from a relatively neutral POV.....I've never had a dog, so never kept them inside or "made" them sleep outside. Some might argue that if i've never had one of my own then i can't comment. I disagree.
    I could never let our dog sleep outdoors - would you put your kids outdoors too?

Ridiculous comment. Would you let your kids lick their own testicles / sniff each others arses?
    .....post re: Uk/European people with aversion to kennels.....

This is laughable. Anecdotal "evidence" that the English and Germans don't use kennels so we shouldn't. Please.
    BTW I am Irish & ashamed !

It's well known that our record in this regard is shameful, but heaping scorn and shame on others who do not fall into the "bad owners" bracket does little to help the cause, and in fact can be harmful and insulting to people who, for all you know, take better care of their pets than you do.
    Little A wrote: »
    This thread is ridiculous....

Agree with both this opening gambit and the rest of your post. Post of the thread, imo.
    I am Irish so how can I be racist.

Just....lol.

Would you let your kids lick their own testicles / sniff each others arses?

Classic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

Oh I know you didn't call him racist lightening! I didn't mean you - sorry if you thought I did!

Thanks for that Helena I called him racist - because he is he is implying that Irish People do not look after their dogs. This is not true, I am Irish, I look after my dog and I worded my comment about the countryside incorrectly,.. What I should have said is that I would think it more common to have dogs in the countryside living outdoors than dogs in the city... I think this purely because there are more farms etc in the country and I think quite a number of them would sleep outside.. I have no problem with dogs that sleep outside but I have issues with blanket statements that I find insulting

And eh your comments about people preaching, what is it exactly that your doing... I'm entitled to my opinion and my opinion, I will say it again is that Disco Dogs comments that Irish people do not look after dogs are offensive and racial towards Irish People. I agree that the PTS rate in Ireland is horrifically high but my point was that disco dog has given out about how high the rate is and then at the same time has gone and slated Irish rescues for sending dogs abroad....

Oh dear I really must remember to assume that every word I type will be taken in isolated context. I was accussed of being racist as I had the gall to suggest that the Englsh care more about their dogs than the Irish.

Oh dear I really must remember to assume that every word I type will be taken in isolated context. I was accussed of being racist as I had the gall to suggest that the Englsh care more about their dogs than the Irish.

As I have said I feel they were racist and unfair comments to make I am highly offended by your comments and I wouldn't say they were isolated I personally feel that you made a number of comments that were offensive towards Irish people....

• Advertisement

And to be honest ... the concept of English people caring more about their dogs makes no sense yes the PTS rates are much lower but they are way ahead of us with their rescue policies etc..

Thanks for that Helena I called him racist - because he is he is implying that Irish People do not look after their dogs. This is not true, I am Irish, I look after my dog and I worded my comment about the countryside incorrectly,.. What I should have said is that I would think it more common to have dogs in the countryside living outdoors than dogs in the city... I think this purely because there are more farms etc in the country and I think quite a number of them would sleep outside.. I have no problem with dogs that sleep outside but I have issues with blanket statements that I find insulting

And eh your comments about people preaching, what is it exactly that your doing... I'm entitled to my opinion and my opinion, I will say it again is that Disco Dogs comments that Irish people do not look after dogs are offensive and racial towards Irish People. I agree that the PTS rate in Ireland is horrifically high but my point was that disco dog has given out about how high the rate is and then at the same time has gone and slated Irish rescues for sending dogs abroad....

I have NEVER slated Irish rescues. I did once ask if Irish rescues had experienced problems with UK charities as suggested on a GSD website. I criticise the Irish people because animal welfare is never an election issue. Why ?. The situation in the UK is because the population have voted for animal legislation. New Labour made the hunting bill a major part of their manifesto.
    Until we try & understand why the Irish electorate don't care we will never improve the situation. It has little to do with UK rescues although they exist because of generous donations & government grants. It is the generosity of UK dog lovers that are paying the 10 million for the new Dogs Trust rescue in Ireland.

As animal lovers you must agree that we need to change attitudes but first we have to understand their origins. Of the 6700 dogs PTS in the UK a disproportionate number were in the North so it is an all Ireland issue. So I ask again why ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Ridiculous comment. Would you let your kids lick their own testicles / sniff each others arses?

+1 > Post of the day! Thanks for sending me home with a smile :D

Where and why were you led to believe that it was accepted that the 17,000 figure was accepted who do you think accepts it? I don't and I don't know anybody that does..

I don't believe it either The Irish Veterinary Society (VICAS) put the true figure at 25000. Seeing as they do the majority of euthanasing they should know.

However Anvil accept it.
    The DOE accept it.
    The ISPCA accept it.

So who do I believe them or you ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

well said Discodog the figures you quote are right.Here in mayo no dog is ever rehomed from the pound they are pts.killed once a week.

My dog sleeps indoors, and always will. People see their pets in diferent ways, to me he's part of the family so he sleeps inside like a part of the family. Other people also consider their dog a part of te family but are perfectly happy to allow them sleep outside. Each to their own I suppose, so long as the dog gets plenty of interaction during the day and has sufficient shelter.

My dads dogs are outside from the day he gets them. They usually come from outdoor homes too. But they live outside all the time so I think there is a difference TBH. If your dog is indoors all day anyway, I wouldn't bother putting him out to sleep at night, he probably woudn't settle very well.
    My word this really kicked off didn't it :) Very interesting read.

OP your breed of dog would physically cope with being outdoors very well I would imagine. However, I don't know how he would cope emotionally. And before the "a dog is a dog" brigade jump on the word "emotionally", it is a fact that dogs feel fear and loneliness. It will depend on the dog how well it will cope. So OP if your dog is well adjusted enough to accept sleeping outside and you provide sufficient shelter then there is no reason not to do it. So long as you ease him into it. Personally I don't see a point in it. (That is not an attack on someone who allows their dog sleep outdoors, just my opinion.)

I don't see the link between PTS rates and animals who sleep outside (but who are otherwise well looked after) but while one or two people may think it amusing to joke about 17,000 kennels etc some people might find it in poor taste. I certainly did.

I agree it's not the thread, but why are people saying that his stats are wrong, or even more laughably saying that he's racist for saying so. :confused:

On Topic - OP has this thread been any help at all, have you decided yet?

I've quoted all my posts in this thread and then highlighted something you said - please do not put words in my mouth, I did not make any comments on anybody "preaching".

Now my point is that you, for some reason seem to have taken offence for somebody saying that irelands animal welfare is well below what it should be. It is somehow "racist" to point this out. While I'm all for politically correctness, it is ridic to say that making a comment like this is racist. Ireland is well below what it should be and to drag the conversation to "you're a racist" is a bit silly IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dumb Blonde man and wife in bed but next doors dogs are constantly barking and keeping couple awake .After an hr of continious barking blonde man says '' that's it , I've had enough '' and goes downstairs .

Their is 5 minutes of silence then barking resumes .

Blonde man returns to bed and wife asks '' well , what's happened , what have you done '' ?

Blonde husband replies '' simple honey , I put neighbours dogs in our garden ......let them hear what it's like for a change '' . :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

k ive been drinkin but ffs this thread has run its courze its about dogs sleeping outside ffs . yes the y can in all but the harshest wheather . EOS .

htread lock pls FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Same in Sligo, after three days.

So here we divert them to Donegal or Leitrim, where there excellent facilities with " no kill " policies.

It seems that many prefer to deny that anything is wrong in Ireland; that is not the way to progress.

Ireland is notorious world wide for bad animal husbandry as Discodog knows

Yes, there are thankfully a few trying to ameliorate matters.
    Morganna wrote: »
    well said Discodog the figures you quote are right.Here in mayo no dog is ever rehomed from the pound they are pts.killed once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Kept my dog indoors for the first week after I got him. Been outside ever since.
    He shares the house that my dad built for him with the cat. USe a bed of straw thats changed weekly. He seems to like it so much he only pokes his head out when he hears the back door of the house open.
    We did bring him inside only during the day when it was really cold in december/january but put him outside at night.

Some people in this thread threat their dogs like helpless enfants. Surprised they dont have them wear nappies.

Advertisement