Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For anyone whose Dog(s) sleeps in the back Garden...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

sorella wrote: »
    Same in Sligo, after three days.

So here we divert them to Donegal or Leitrim, where there excellent facilities with " no kill " policies.

It seems that many prefer to deny that anything is wrong in Ireland; that is not the way to progress.

Ireland is notorious world wide for bad animal husbandry as Discodog knows

Yes, there are thankfully a few trying to ameliorate matters.
    Well said sorella also why do we irish bury our heads in the sand and deny nothing is wong here?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

k ive been drinkin but ffs this thread has run its courze its about dogs sleeping outside ffs . yes the y can in all but the harshest wheather . EOS .

htread lock pls FFS

Ok 2 things wrong wit this post.
    Firstly calm the language down a bit and secondly asking for the thread to be locked with a "ffs" at the end of it will get you nowhere.And its also back seat modding.
    Im going to give you the benefit of the doubt this time but the next time its an infraction or a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Discodog wrote: »
    It is so strange to read a subject like this. In the UK, Scandanavia, Germany etc you would never see a post like this. It's actually quite difficult to buy a dog kennel in the UK. They were used about 30 years ago !.

Obviously the Irish see things differently as born out by the fact that they kill 17,000 dogs a year. My neighbours still can't believe that my dogs sleep in the kitchen. If you don't want a dog to share you life - please don't get one.
    Please explain to me how putting the dog out at night to sleep in a kennel constitutes not wanting your dog "to share your life"? Seriously.
    Why do people want their dog outside ?. One of my neighbours insists that a dog makes the house smell.
    It can do. Why do people keep their dogs inside all the time when dogs love being outdoors?
    I could never let our dog sleep outdoors - would you put your kids outdoors too?
    Ah jeeeeeeebus. Ok I'm assuming, by comparing animals to children, you're taking the piss out of the regulars here who resort to that. You are... aren't you? If not, you're not the DublinWriter I know...
    I am Irish & ashamed !
    Why the hell are you ashamed? Because you happen to share the same nationality as those who are responsible for this cruelty? So you consider yourself partially responsible - simply because you were born here. Fair enough. I was born here and I ain't ashamed - because it's nothing to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

this thread is getting pretty funny!!fair enough the pts record is bad!but its hardly to blame on anyone here?or anyone letting their dog/s sleep outside thats just crazy!dogs are dogs and shouldnt be babied!that doesnt you dont care about them like some people think!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Very interesting thread. OP, I have siberian huskies and alaskan malamutes, and most of them like to sleep inside, but they have 24 hour access to the outside, through a dog flap. One of my sibes will sleep outside no matter what the weather, in fact he seems to prefer the wind and rain to nice mild nights. The dogs have access to shelter, but any that are sleeping outside just curl up in the husky ball and snooze away. With central heating etc, your dog may well prefer to sleep outside. I run a rescue for sled dogs, and, unlike a lot of rescues I will rehome to homes that have the dog sleeping outside, as long as it has a lot of intereaction with the family it lives with. I do this because of the breeds, if I was rehoming other breeds of dogs, I would insist on indoor homes.

Good luck with the dog, they are a lovely breed.

Just as an aside, you cannot be racist about a nationality, Irishness is not a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dudess wrote: »
    Please explain to me how putting the dog out at night to sleep in a kennel constitutes not wanting your dog "to share your life"? Seriously.

It can do. Why do people keep their dogs inside all the time when dogs love being outdoors?

Why the hell are you ashamed? Because you happen to share the same nationality as those who are responsible for this cruelty? So you consider yourself partially responsible - simply because you were born here. Fair enough. I was born here and I ain't ashamed - because it's nothing to do with me.

I have no doubt that the majority of people on this site who put their dogs out care for those dogs. However there are thousands of dogs that don't have the choice. We have all seen or are aware of dogs that either roam all day or are tied up next to the kennel. Within 500 yards of me I have one dog sleeping in an old car. There are two dogs tied up all day. There were three dogs left to roam locally but one has recently been killed on the road.

I am ashamed because unlike you I do think that I am partially to blame. Other countries simply wouldn't tolerate this situation. It's illegal to PTS a stray dog in Germany. So why don't the Irish electorate care ?. It is clear from some post that people just don't accept the figures but what makes the Irish so different from most of Europe ?.

20 years ago virtually all of Europe signed the The European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals, 1987. Apparently Ireland is "still considering it". So I will always feel ashamed because I know that I should be lobbying & protesting more, even if it would be falling on deaf ears. I am also ashamed because when my friends in Europe keep asking why Ireland is so bad & when it will improve, I do not think that it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I have not read the whole thread but I feel compeeled to reply to the OP. Dogs are members of my family, they are not my babies mind but ARE members of my "clan". I do not rehome to home where the dog would be kept outside - period. Apart from denying the dog its own pack, you are missing out alot yourself if you keep the dog confined to the outside. As to the question about "valueable" - all my animals are valueable - to me. From the ickle crossbred Terrier belonging to my son to the very rare Otterhound of which less than 2000 have survived.

And yes, Animal Welfare in this country is in its infancy. And yes, I have seen cruelty cases here which I have never believed possible when I worked in Germany and the US,. However, the tide is slowly turning - people are getting more educated and more and more peeps question the "traditional" approach to animal husbandry. There is still a LONG way to go but all is not lost.

Btw, ALOT of the Irish shelters were founded and are run by foreign nationals such as myself: German, Dutch, English, American to name a few. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Within 500 yards of me I have one dog sleeping in an old car. There are two dogs tied up all day. There were three dogs left to roam locally but one has recently been killed on the road.

Get up from your computer and do something about it then.
    No point in logging in here pissing and moaning on a thread about dogs sleeping outside in warm kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The owners are doing nothing illegal or nothing that the Gardai have any interest in. I try not to urinate whilst using the computer & I wonder how warm some kennels are when it's -3 outside. There may be no point to you but there is to me.

Instead of constantly slagging me off why not try & answer the questions in my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Not quite true in the case of the roaming dogs, Discodog. The Control of Dogs Act states clearly:

" According to Section 9(1) unless a dog is in the premises of an owner or "such other person in charge" or in the premises of a person where the consent of that person has been given, a dog shall not be in any other place unless such owner or other persons in charge of the dog "accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control."

Your best bet is the dogwarden as they are there to enforce existing laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The owners are doing nothing illegal

Yes they are.
    Instead of constantly slagging me off why not try & answer the questions in my last post.

I'm not slagging you off, I am pointing out the uselessness of preaching to the converted. You asked two questions in your last post.
    So why don't the Irish electorate care?

Not all of them don't care.
    what makes the Irish so different from most of Europe ?

We are not that different, other European countries have bad record too.

I have answered your questions. Please tell me how you get on approaching your neighbours and how you get on with the dog warden. Best of luck. (didn't mean to offend with the slagging by the way...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have no doubt that the majority of people on this site who put their dogs out care for those dogs. However there are thousands of dogs that don't have the choice. We have all seen or are aware of dogs that either roam all day or are tied up next to the kennel. Within 500 yards of me I have one dog sleeping in an old car. There are two dogs tied up all day. There were three dogs left to roam locally but one has recently been killed on the road.
    Yes, but your original comment (which I referred to) seemed to be directed at anyone whose dog sleeps outside. There are a lot of holier-than-thou posters on this forum who look down on people that don't put pets on the same level as children - and you seemed to come across as such a poster.
    I am ashamed because unlike you I do think that I am partially to blame. Other countries simply wouldn't tolerate this situation. It's illegal to PTS a stray dog in Germany. So why don't the Irish electorate care ?. It is clear from some post that people just don't accept the figures but what makes the Irish so different from most of Europe ?.

20 years ago virtually all of Europe signed the The European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals, 1987. Apparently Ireland is "still considering it". So I will always feel ashamed because I know that I should be lobbying & protesting more, even if it would be falling on deaf ears. I am also ashamed because when my friends in Europe keep asking why Ireland is so bad & when it will improve, I do not think that it will.
    Well why not protest and lobby more? Other than that, you shouldn't feel accountable - and by extension make other animal lovers feel accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Tomas_S

i Have rotweiler and he sleeps outside no problems at all. He used to have a box where he slept inside so i just moved the box in his new house when he was about 6 months and he was happy about it

Advertisement