Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish wolfhounds? Where?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi to all, my wife loves dogs and her big dream is to have (one day) irish wolfhounds. As we are here in Ireland now, does anybody know, where should we go to see one (or more)? Is there any breeding station where we can come and watch them for a while?

That's it. Thank you very much
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Incheerocket

John and Kathleen Kelly of 'Nutstown' prefix are always happy to advise you, they are in north county Dublin, but PLEASE be aware that keeping a wolfhound is not like a small dog, there are issues with regard to their very rapid growth and soft bones and exercise in the early days of having a puppy that are important to know, I highly recommend the book by Mary McBryde 'The magnificent irish wolfhound'. and I hope you are not houseproud, coz that is a no no with a wolfhound in the house!! I have 3, and I do know!! but they are the most beautiful affectionate dogs you could ever wish for, try also the wolfhound forum for lots of helpful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Get in contact with these people:

http://www.iwsocietyofireland.com/default.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Theres a dog show on 17th March in National Show Centre in Cloghran, Swords.

You should come along and see the wolfhounds in action and ask some of the people there about them. They might be able to recommend a breeder that has pups or might be breeding soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

My friend keeps wolfhounds and they are the sweetest dogs but they need lots of room to gallop when they're fully grown. They're chasers by nature and will go and go! I'd love one myself but even though we have a quarter of an acre garden it's just not enough space. I also don't think I could deal with the shortish life spans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

They only live for 4 to 8 years!? Woah! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 janek81

Thank you all. We know that it's not the same like to have a yorkshire terrier in living room...

My wife has an experience already with german shepperds, so it's not like "come on, I'd like to have a puppy". She really knows what to expect...

Thank you for the valuable tips, I will try to arrange something and hope it will be nice surprise for her...

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 janek81

John and Kathleen Kelly of 'Nutstown' prefix are always happy to advise you

thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

there is a hotel in Tralee called Ballyseedy Castle and they have one (maybe 2) who you can walk and spend time with while you're there. i dropped in there one day on my way back from a wedding and just hung out with Arthur for 10 or 15 mins, we were gonna have lunch but the restaurant was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Incheerocket

janek81 wrote: »

My wife has an experience already with german shepperds,

Wolfhounds are NOT like German Shepherds, :mad: their growth rate is very different, they are a giant breed not a big dog breed, and the early days are very important and can impact on the rest of their lives if you get it wrong with too much exercise, with the very early onset of arthritis and other joint problems, so I beg you PLEASE speak to a responsible breeder,

• Registered Users Posts: 47 edel26

Cabra Castle in Kingscourt,Cavan have a Hound on the Grounds.. Oscar! He's beautiful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

one of my mothers freinds breads wolf hounds form her own show dogs if you want i can check to see if she has a litter due or knows of a breeder that has one due , i hope your wife knows they are not cheap dogs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Old thread - doubt they're still looking.
    Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement