Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Memory Question

Options
  • 03-03-2009 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

A friend has a pc with 512mb of ram (PC2700 DDR-DIMM) then we bought 2Gb of Ram (PC2700 DDR SDRAM) off the internet, but when i installed the new memory the computer would not start up, i tried taking out the old memory and that wouldnt work and i tried the different sticks in different slots with no luck. When i start up the pc with the 2 new sticks it recognizes them but just wont boot

Will this new memory work at all or have we bought the wrong one? The computer is working again now with just the old 512mb.

The Motherboard is:

System Model
    VIA Technologies, Inc. KT400-8235
    Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: KT400-8235
    Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/23/2003

i am a total novice so all this baffles me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Find out what the motherboard is using this, will be much easier to advise then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Pat the Baker

Board: KT400-8235
    Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/23/2003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not sure why - board seems to support it fine. Try
    • Are you trying to run the 2gb with the 512mb? The board might only support 2xDDR266/333.
    • Have you tried running the sticks in banks 1 and 3?
    • Is there any overclocking done prior to the upgrade?
    • And, have you tried setting timings manually in the bios?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If after the above you still have no joy download MemTest onto a USB drive then boot from that drive (may need to change BIOS options to boot from that device) using each of the new sticks seperately (might only be one dodgy stick). If you still get loads of errors after ensuring the correct voltage and latency in the BIOS then you've probably had bad RAM from the beginning.

Advertisement