Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband without phone line?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as wireless broadband that does not need the use of a phone line?

At present the broadband I have requires an ethernet connection but I want to be able to move around the house with my laptop while using the internet (and also allow my housemates to use it provided they pay their share - with this in mind can I password protect it and only give them the password when they have paid up?).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd suggest you have a read of the FAQ/Charter sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭radharc05

kingtut wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as wireless broadband that does not need the use of a phone line?

At present the broadband I have requires an ethernet connection but I want to be able to move around the house with my laptop while using the internet (and also allow my housemates to use it provided they pay their share - with this in mind can I password protect it and only give them the password when they have paid up?).

Thanks in advance!

yup, I have wireless broadband with VODAFONE
    little things that hangs from the side of my laptop and It to the beach! Dead handy.
    €15 for the first 3 months €30 there after
    I've never had any problems with it and its quite fast too
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

radharc05 wrote: »
    little things that hangs from the side of my laptop and It to the beach! Dead handy.

This sounds like mobile broadband to me, all your housemates won't be able to use it at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Its also not broadband, here we call it midband, its even got its own forum seperate to here.......look up top

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭radharc05

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Its also not broadband, here we call it midband, its even got its own forum seperate to here.......look up top

We'll here we call it broadband. It says it on the box :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

We'll here we call it broadband. It says it on the box :rolleyes:

The box probably also says 3.6Mb. The box is lying to you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kingtut wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

Who have you got your broadband with at the moment?

You can buy a wireless modem/router to do what you want without changing providers.

Advertisement