Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Sunderland MAtch Thread 8pm

• 03-03-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

So after the debacle of Boro, we pick ourselves up and move on hopefully

Fingers crossed there is a bit of a backlash and we see a bitter angry Liverpool team.

Reina
    Darby Carra Skrtel Aurelio
    Kuyt Masch Alonso Benayoun
    Gerrard Babel

Cavailieri, Agger, Insua, Lucas, Riera, El Zhar, Ngog

Seeing as Arbeloa is out I would like to see a proper RB start there. If not Darby then Carra and if not one of them just fling Degen on to the pitch.

The formation is a bit unusual but those are the players I'd like to see out there.
    Basically Babel up front with Gerrard off-him second striker.
    Kuyt is in there largely for his workrate and to offer protection to Darby defensively. Benayoun just gets the nod ahead of Riera due to their recent form although I am a little worried we could get too narrow.

Basically Sbragia has said that they will come to play defensively and force Liverpool to break Sunderland down, so I think we will see a 4-5-1 ultra-defensive formation from them.
    Liverpool v Sunderland
    PREMIER LEAGUE
    Venue: Anfield Date: Tuesday, 3 March Kick-off: 2000 GMT
    Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live, with text commentary on BBC Sport website. Score on Red Button and BBC Sport website and highlights on Match of the Day on Wednesday at 2245 GMT. Also live on Sky Sports

Liverpool, seeking to bounce back after losing to Middlesbrough on Saturday, will be without Fernando Torres again because of his ankle injury.

Full-back Alvaro Arbeloa is also out because of a hamstring injury.

Sunderland hope strikers Kenwyne Jones (knee) and Djibril Cisse (ankle) will be fit to return from injuries.

Steed Malbranque (calf) and teemy Tainia (knee) also hope to return while Phil Bardsley is back from suspension but Nyron Nosworthy remains sidelined.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Hyypia, Dossena, Aurelio, Babel, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt, Lucas, Ngog, El Zhar, Riera, Darby, Cavalieri.

Sunderland (from): Fulop, Gordon, Bardsley, McCartney, Ferdinand, Collins, McShane, Davenport, Ben Haim, Whitehead, Malbranque, Leadbitter, Tainio, Richardson, Edwards, Yorke, Reid, Cisse, Jones, Murphy, Healy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not bitter, just angry. :mad:

Agree with the RB Darby should be given a chance. Agger is supposed to be injured. Babel Nooooooooo! I'd sooner Kuyt and Benny, who can play actual football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

We need to win this to avoid slipping behind Chelsea. If we finish lower than 2nd this season it will be a big blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-0 to the Pool. Hopefully Stevie G with the two, push be back up the FF league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    Not bitter, just angry. :mad:

Agree with the RB Darby should be given a chance. Agger is supposed to be injured. Babel Nooooooooo! I'd sooner Kuyt and Benny, who can play actual football.

Fair play on the bitter comment - that's more my own issue :(

If Dagger's out then surely Hyypia into the subs.

Am I to understand that you want Kuyt to play up front as opposed to Babel?

There's really no point - Kuyt will just keep dropping deep leaving the penalty area empty, at least with Babel he will actually stay up top. A

Also I don't understand where Benny comes into the arguement.

Shirely Babel is worth a shot up front? At the very least we get added info on whether there is any possibility of him being Torres's backup next season

Benny may not be a striker by trade but he has a decent eye for goal and could play just behind Kuyt I think his close control may be the best way of picking a way through the Sunderland defence.. This should be 4-4-2 for me as well btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Benny is our best player at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jones up front on his own, Tanio to sit infront of Ferdinand and Collins.

I think this could be an entertaining match if Jones and Cisse start can't see it happening thou.

Liverpool 25 chances shots at goal, 0-0.

Benny may not be a striker by trade but he has a decent eye for goal and could play just behind Kuyt I think his close control may be the best way of picking a way through the Sunderland defence.. This should be 4-4-2 for me as well btw.

Okay Kuyt and Benny are the two

Is it Gerrard Masch Alonso Babel as the four?

While Benny has been our best offensive player the last while, I think you have to play Gerrard in the centre as close as possible to the goals, given he is such a goal threat

Basically I would go with the almost standard 4-2-3-1 with Benny on the left Gerrard centre Kuyt right. However I'd tell Gerrard to play slightly more advanced than usual, as I would be expecting Sunderland to assign a DM to sit in front of the CM and to track Gerrard. Tell Gerrard to try and play close enough to the CMs to cause confusion between them and the DM as to who would be responsible for Gerrard. If that isn't working tell him to wander out to the wings and tell Benny and Kuyt that they should be aware of opportunities to cut into the space left vacant.

Just to compare stats in the league between Benayoun and Gerrard this season

Gerrard 1931 mins played 9 goals 5 assists
    Benayoun 1184 mins played 2 goals 4 assists

Both teams have exactly the same form in the prem.

Won 2 drawn 3 lost 1, Sunderland shading it by one more goal scored/one less conceeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Basically Sbragia has said that they will come to play defensively and force Liverpool to break Sunderland down, so I think we will see a 4-5-1 ultra-defensive formation from them.

This is the best way to get anything from Anfield, especially from the shítter teams like your Sunderlands, your Hulls, your Stokes.

• Advertisement

Ah this is pointles Rafa will decide that this is the starting 11

Reina
    Skrtle-Carra-Hyypia-Dossena
    Lucas-Masch
    El Zhar----Gerrard---Babel
    Ngog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Come on Sunderland put another nail into Benitez's coffin

That wouldn't surprise me.

Out of curiosity - I didn't see the 'Boro game - why wasn't Carra playing RB with Skrtle in the middle?

We don't know. If we did we would be along way to understanding whats going on in Rafas head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I expect a reaction from Liverpool, 3 or 4-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Judging by how well Sunderland did parking the bus at Old Trafford(minute away from a draw) and the Emirates(0-0) and Liverpool struggling to break teams down at home all season. It has 0-0 written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Is it on the telly?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Tis on Sky Sports 2 so far as I know. I guessed 0-0 for the Boro game. We lost 2-0.
    Sbragia is gonna play defensive he said.
    I reckon 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

In the match at Sunderland, it took 80ish minutes for a goal to be scored and that was Torres. I wouldn't be surprised if it finishes 0-0 but would go for 1-0 with a second half goal by Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Benny is our best play AT THE MOMENT. I didn't say he was the POTS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

going to go for a 0 - 0 surprise surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Given how defensive Sunderland will most likely play, and our difficulty breaking these teams down, i wouldn't mind seeing this....might be a bit nuts, but pool cant afford a draw in this.

Reina
    ---Carra---Skrtel---Agger
    Alonso
    Kuyt
    Aurelio
    Yossi--Gerrard---Riera
    Babel

That obviously only applies if Agger is fit, not sure i'd want Hypia in that system, though i suppose he could do a job in the center with Skrtel and carra narrow to either side

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Reina
    ---Carra---Skrtel---Agger
    Alonso
    Kuyt
    Aurelio
    Yossi--Gerrard---Riera
    Babel

Given that recently we've conceded against a lot of teams that sit back and try to grind out draws/counter attack, I could see that formation hurting us badly :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I expect this to be an extremely tight match..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'll give this a look although I reckon Liverpool will win it 2-0. If Liverpool get a goal I can't see Sunderland coming back from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I know Sunderland are down the bottom half of the table, but people seem to underestimate them,

I definetly don't think it will be 3 or 4 like one poster suggested, im predicting a draw tonight.

Will have a better idea when the teams are confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RasTa wrote: »
    I expect a reaction from Liverpool, 3 or 4-0

That was supposed to happen weeks ago.

I'll give this a look although I reckon Liverpool will win it 2-0. If Liverpool get a goal I can't see Sunderland coming back from it.

The problem is getting that first goal. After that theres usually no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

jaysus ntlbell. thats one whopper signature.
    couldnt fit more anti-liverpool stuff in there if u tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stekelly wrote: »

The problem is getting that first goal. After that theres usually no problem.

As in not conceding the first goal and waiting until the 85th minute to do something about it

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Any word on the teams gents? May have to do some ninja FF edits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Liverpool line-up in full: Reina, Mascherano, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Riera, Ngog, Kuyt. Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Hyypia, Aurelio, Babel, Lucas, El Zhar.

So, that's Masch at right back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Reina, Mascherano, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Riera, Ngog, Kuyt.

Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Hyypia, Aurelio, Babel, Lucas, El Zhar.

Ngog up front then. Good to see Insua back in the first XI

EDIT: Carragher, Skrtel & Insua across the back line ?

Masch at RB???????????????? nah its 3 central defenders.

Liverpool line-up in full: Reina, Mascherano, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Riera, Ngog, Kuyt.

Reina
    Masch Carra Skrtel Insua
    Kuyt Alonso Gerrard Riera
    Benayoun Ngog

Apparently Masch at RB?

Just guessing as to who goes where after the back four

The good news is Insua at LB - after that it's another Rafa headscratcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Liverpool line-up in full: Reina, Mascherano, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Riera, Ngog, Kuyt.

Reina
    Masch Carra Skrtel Insua
    Kuyt Alonso Gerrard Riera
    Benayoun Ngog

Apparently Masch at RB?

Just guessing as to who goes where after the back four

The good news is Insua at RB - after that it's another Rafa headscratcher

*Scratches own head* thought Insua was a lefty, no?

edit: not quite the ninja edit there MementoMori :pac:

• Advertisement

Any Sunderland lineup lads?

Masch at RB???????????????? nah its 3 central defenders.

But it's 2 central defenders and a lb ? I'm kinda confused by that XI. Can imagine a bit of head scratching going on in the Sunderland dressing room right now

Apparently there is talk that Darby is injured. Which would go someway towards explaining things.

Edit: Also rumoured Darby was told that if he had been fit he would have been playing tonight. Supposedly gutted, which is understandable

Rafas plan is working then! ;)

Reading RAWK, its all kicking off - Carra refused to play at RB hence Skrtle on Saturday and Masch today.
    Yes it is 4-4-2 (prolly)

Sunderland: Fulop, Ben-Haim, Ferdinand, Collins, McCartney, Malbranque, Whitehead, Reid, Leadbitter, Richardson, Jones.

Subs: Gordon, Bardsley, Edwards, Cisse, Murphy, Davenport, Healy.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    *Scratches own head* thought Insua was a lefty, no?

Sorry clearly tis Insua on the left - just confusion on my part

• Advertisement

Sunderland: Fulop, Ben-Haim, Ferdinand, Collins, McCartney, Malbranque, Whitehead, Reid, Leadbitter, Richardson, Jones. Subs: Gordon, Bardsley, Edwards, Cisse, Murphy, Davenport, Healy.

Looks like Jones up-front on his lonesome - hoping for balls over the top from Reid.

I'd be very very very surprised if Carra refused to play in any position in the team. Especially when he knows how much every game matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Anyone got streamage? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I wouldn't write Sunderland off. They've been in fine form since Sbragia took over and looked excellent when they held Arsenal to a 0-0 draw a few weeks ago.

1-1 I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its on CH3 of iraqgoals.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

2 - 0 pool

Sorry for the double posts folks, it appears Justin.Tv is asking for a code. Cheers on the Iraqgoals stream Bounty Hunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jazzy wrote: »
    2 - 0 pool
    Already? :D

My mate texted me to say Mascherano is playing RB, is he mistaken? :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement