Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Sunderland MAtch Thread 8pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Gerrard off for Babel, Gerrard a bit off form today possibly a hangover from his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

darkskol wrote: »
    Gerrard off for Babel, Gerrard a bit off form today possibly a hangover from his injury.

Idk, thought he was decent enough. Key contribution for the opener and got through a lot of work in the middle of the park.

Carragher has been excellent at the back tonight.

Good run from Babel, and shot was on target! :eek: Probably his best moment for us since November. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Decent run and shot there from Babel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I'm just delighted with the comfortable enough win. Forgotten what it'd felt like.
    Babel did something good there. Forgotten what that'd felt like too!!

Also, Masch has been tidy at right back - manager's decision on that one justified imo.

Sweet. Job completed without too much fuss. Though, of course, it could have been a struggle if Jones had his scoring boots on. Good second half performance and some positive individual displays. Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

yeah very comfortable for Liverpool in the second half, never looked troubled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

FT 2-0 Happy days

Benni MOTM v solid performance

Big pluses Insua - surely this performance puts him ahead of Dossena in the pecking order.

Ngog - He's a long way from the finished article but I'd be more than happy with him as a squad player for next season

Babel - nice cameo

Lucas - looked lively when he came on.

Hopefully we will get the chance to continue to be able to give the fringe players more playing time for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

joe123 wrote: »
    waste of 1.5 million so far from what ive seen of him.

What happened to you now is that you are so intent on proving that you are right about Rafa that you are grasping at anything that might back up your argument.. Whether your opinion is right or wrong, you should really calm down and give the young lad a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Thought Yossi was excellent tonight and has been for the last few months IMO...even more baffling why he was left out of team on Sat based on that performance, but let's not get into that!

Insua looks a class act aswel...getting more and more impressed with him by the minute...best left back we have IMO.

Ngog looks like he has a bit of potential also...a bit raw yet but was probably a bit eager to impress...let's hope he can keep it up as he might get a few more chances before the end of the season.

Babel did quite well when he came on...about time I suppose!

Good result and a decent performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I said on Saturday I reckoned Yossi was "rested" (okay rotated!) with this game in mind.
    I knew he'd be the difference (not seen the game due to lack of speed but I'll say that anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

mike65 wrote: »
    I said on Saturday I reckoned Yossi was "rested" (okay rotated!) with this game in mind.
    I knew he'd be the difference (not seen the game due to lack of speed but I'll say that anyway).

Rafa rested (or rotated, whatever you want to call it) Yossi, with Sunderland at home in mind? You're joking, right?

Nope (well possibly) I was merely attempting to get inside Rafas head. I don't agree, players in form should be played until thier legs drop off if required.

Insua is the real deal. That left back spot should be his full time hopefully, although aurelio has been playing quite well recently.

10 more wins and finish on 88 points?? Heres hoping...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I didnt see the game but I see Yossi scored again. Not surprised. He must have got either a goal or an assist in his last 10 games (or there abouts).

Will never understand him being 'rested' at the weekend.

Its great when a reserve player breaks through and looks like the real deal and the team better with him in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nope (well possibly) I was merely attempting to get inside Rafas head. I don't agree, players in form should be played until thier legs drop off if required.

You should stick to easier things like climbing Everest without oxygen, mike :eek:

Amazing how quickly the fuss over Mascherano at right back disappears.. :cool:

Well I doubt we'll see him there again regardless of how he did. Roll on...the next game.

• Advertisement

Pretty good result tonight. Quite a few positives to take from it also.

Well I doubt we'll see him there again regardless of why he did. Roll on...the next game.

the next two games are handy ones:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Really good performance, always looked like we were going to win that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Did I hear boos with Lucas' introduction?

2-0 up and cruising, good decision to send him on to shore it up. If anyone boo'd his introduction they should hang their bloody heads in shame.

It might have been a reaction to Rafas "what we have we hold" approach - (or it might have been against Lucas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

spockety wrote: »

2-0 up and cruising, good decision to send him on to shore it up. If anyone boo'd his introduction they should hang their bloody heads in shame.

Why not babel and/or el zahr though at that stage? Let them have 20 mins or so to run at tired players and maybe nick another goal or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Likewise for anyone who cheered him! :D

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why not babel and/or el zahr though at that stage? Let them have 20 mins or so to run at tired players and maybe nick another goal or 2.

I think you're missing the point.

If people at Anfield are booing a player before he's kicked a ball then they seriously need to cop the f**k on, it's absolutely disgraceful. The guy didn't put a foot wrong.

BTW, it sounded to me like for about 5 minutes after, Lucas' every touch was getting unusual rounds of applause and cheers, I presume it was the decent folk in the crowd registering their displeasure with the boo boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I think you're missing the point.

If people at Anfield are booing a player before he's kicked a ball then they seriously need to cop the f**k on, it's absolutely disgraceful. The guy didn't put a foot wrong.

BTW, it sounded to me like for about 5 minutes after, Lucas' every touch was getting unusual rounds of applause and cheers, I presume it was the decent folk in the crowd registering their displeasure with the boo boys.

no not tonight. but his form for well nearly all games with a few exceptions hasn't been good.

They're perfectly entitled to make their feelings known be it boos or otherwise. its this lets give another chance and see attitude that has liverpool in a bad way. strong decision making thats whats needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Iang87 wrote: »
    no not tonight. but his form for well nearly all games with a few exceptions hasn't been good.

They're perfectly entitled to make their feelings known be it boos or otherwise. its this lets give another chance and see attitude that has liverpool in a bad way. strong decision making thats whats needed

No, just no, seriously, no.

No, just no, seriously, no.

interesting argument care to try change my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

absolute boll*x. He always tries hard, and gives 100% and so deserves support. If he wasn't trying i'd sort of understand it. But anyone who booed or anyone who condones it is not a Liverpool fan.

Boo Diouf. Don't boo Lucas.

absolute boll*x. He always tries hard, and gives 100% and so deserves support. If he wasn't trying i'd sort of understand it. But anyone who booed or anyone who condones it is not a Liverpool fan.

Boo Diouf. Don't boo Lucas.

trying hard doesn'tmake you good or doesn't make your performances good. Dirk Kuyt must be a god in your eyes so along with cralos tevez.

To say i'm not a liverpool fan for condoning people who want to vent an opinion that doesn't necessarily agree with others views is just ridiculous.

Also when we were booed off the field at anfield a fewtimes this year does that mean there was 40000 people who just happened to wonder into the ground and not liverpool fans

trying hard doesn'tmake you good or doesn't make your performances good. Dirk Kuyt must be a god in your eyes so along with cralos tevez.

Maybe not, but trying hard, wearing the jersey with pride and showing respect to the club and us fans earns my admiration. Particularly in a decade where we have had the likes of Diouf, Kewell, Baros and Pennant play games for the club.

Straight up, I despise the outlook on the game hinted at from your last few posts. And have little time for 'fans' who feel it is acceptable to boo a 22 year old who tries his guts out every time he runs onto the pitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wahey. got my prediction right (2-0) and hammered my mate at pro evo. + i got free spiced rum and a cheap pizza! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Absolute bollox. Do you think Rafa will hear a few boos from people who have gotten off their bar stool for the night and decide to drop a player?

Any fan who boos a player for trying his best is a disgrace and doesn't deserve a ticket to the game. We get it all the time when people slate Darius Vassell. Now the guy is in no way the most talented of individuals but he works his balls off and has plenty of heart. There is no way I would ever consider subjecting him to the treatment Lucas got. Disgusting way to treat one of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Simply wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Its great when a reserve player breaks through and looks like the real deal and the team better with him in it.
    +1. Insua has been brilliant since he broke into the first team. He looks so composed for a young lad and his ball distribution is second to none. Let's hope there's not to many under 21 tournaments coming up for him in the future because i think he will make that spot his own at our club for years to come. Fantastic signing from Rafa and if he's a sign of things to come from the young players Rafa has brought in then it's happy days ahead.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Carragher has been excellent at the back tonight.

Ahem - Jones walking thru in first few mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Missed the goals last night. Anyone got a link to them? THanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

kida wrote: »
    Ahem - Jones walking thru in first few mins

He should have taken that chance, he had the hard bit done skinning the 2 centre halfs.

Sunderland had no answer to going 1-0 down, they just gave up, pity because it was a spirited 1st half preformance and they passed the ball neatly at times.

Masch looked ok at right back, I'd imagine most would up against what was a shell of Andy Reid last night. Insua gave the ball away alot but looks a game lad, 2 Argentian captains in the full back positions was quite funny.

Alonso is going backwards, and Gerrard looked very uninterested until he caught Richardson sleeping with a good run into the box and header.

Liverpools 2 best players again were Kuyt and Benny, too early to comment on N'Gog, took his goal well and seems like a confident lad.

So eh, I presume your mantra is; buy a player, if he doesn't appear up to scratch after one game then drop him to the reserves and sell him?

Anything else is 'another chance'.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's absolutely disgraceful to boo a player who gives 100% before they have even kicked a ball. Maybe you don't think he's up to standard, but that's not his problem, and booing him is not going to suddenly make him any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Booing your own players is the highest level of retardness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Home supporters Booing their own players is the height of plastic fandom.

Boggles wrote: »
    Booing your own players is the highest level of retardness!
    Yes, this also.

Anyone who tried to justify the booing of their own players, for whatever reason, is not a proper football fan, in any sense of the word.

Yeah, in the pub have a go, on message boards afterwards sure, do it there.

But.

You go to the ground to SUPPORT the team, ENCOURAGE them, not to get on their backs as soon as they come onto the pitch.

Is it any wonder his performances have been below par, if when he comes on to the pitch he is ridiculed and booed by those people who are supposed to be there supporting him?

The Liverpool fans in Anfield are often described as being "knowledgeable", but this behaviour displays a total lack of knowledge by those responsible.

I don't care if it was a "minority" - it was loud enough to be heard on TV. And it isn't the first time this season Liverpool supporters have been heard booing their team this season either, I might add.

In the 1970s and 1980s anyone caught booing a Liverpool player at Anfiled would have been kicked out on their hole, and proper order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

To add my 2 cents : booing your own players is a disgrace. Especially a young player that always puts in 100%. Do you think you are helping the situation by booing ? Makes me sick.

So eh, I presume your mantra is; buy a player, if he doesn't appear up to scratch after one game then drop him to the reserves and sell him?

The funny thing is that he probably thinks Keane wasn't given enough chances...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And he wouldn't be the only one.

7 goals in your first half season at a new club without Torres' help?

I can think of a few players at Liverpool who haven't contributed nearly as much in any sense. Actually I can think of about 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Tusky wrote: »
    Especially a young player that always puts in 100%. Do you think you are helping the situation by booing ? Makes me sick.

+1
    Espically a young player who IS STILL highly rated in his home country

Its funny that a lot of the people slagging off Lucas are the same people who defend too the hilt the manager who plays him

the manger who signed him
    the manager who has never givin him a decent run of games in a row to settle in and get confinence in his position

Well it would be funny if it wasnt so pathetic!:o:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

And he wasnt given enough chances. You obviously dont play and/or dont understand football if you think you can be taken on and off not played/played for 20 mins score then dropped score then dropped and see players who are not as good as you start ahead of you or even start ahead of you on the bench.

What do you think that does to a players confidence and morale?

noodler wrote: »
    And he wouldn't be the only one.

7 goals in your first half season at a new club without Torres' help?

I can think of a few players at Liverpool who haven't contributed nearly as much in any sense. Actually I can think of about 10.

Read what I quoted...

I don't actually think Keane was given enough of a chance either but that wasn't the purpose of my post.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement