Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Real Ale fans

• 03-03-2009 12:33pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On Sunday week (15th March) the Bull & Castle in Christchurch will be tapping a cask of Leann Folláin stout, the first time it has offered cask beer, and the only draught Real Ale available in Dublin outside the Porterhouses. It's part of their St Patrick's Festival and, subject to availability, will be on until 17th March.

If cask beer is your thing and you wish that more places in Dublin sold it, this is the opportunity to get out there and show your support by drinking it. The faster it goes the more readily the next cask beer will appear. And perhaps other licensees will start to notice there's a market for it.

Leann Folláin is the new extra stout from Carlow Brewing. It's oak-aged (I think -- it certainly tastes it) and is 6% ABV. Superquinn are currently stocking it in bottled form for €2.39.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

BeerNut wrote: »
    On Sunday week (15th March) the Bull & Castle in Christchurch will be tapping a cask of Leann Folláin stout, the first time it has offered cask beer, and the only draught Real Ale available in Dublin outside the Porterhouses. It's part of their St Patrick's Festival and, subject to availability, will be on until 17th March.

If cask beer is your thing and you wish that more places in Dublin sold it, this is the opportunity to get out there and show your support by drinking it. The faster it goes the more readily the next cask beer will appear. And perhaps other licensees will start to notice there's a market for it.

Leann Folláin is the new extra stout from Carlow Brewing. It's oak-aged (I think -- it certainly tastes it) and is 6% ABV. Superquinn are currently stocking it in bottled form for €2.39.

Wow, this is good news for sure! Do you know if it will be served by gravity or hand pump?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Do you know if it will be served by gravity or hand pump?
    Nope. I'll see what I can find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Great news beernut!!
    Will it only be available from the 15th to 17th or do you have any more info!!
    I'd love to try it but its not exactly down the road from me (shakes fist at screen)!!! :mad:

slayerking wrote: »
    Will it only be available from the 15th to 17th or do you have any more info!!
    It goes on sale on the 15th but I don't know how much there'll be or if there are plans for any more. I guess it'll depend on how this works out.

If I find out more I'll post it.

So, the cask and handpump are set up and the first pint will be pulled at 6pm tomorrow, Sunday 15th.
    cask2.jpg

There is a possibility of a second cask if this one sells out quickly.

And, as it turns out, Leann Folláin isn't oak-aged at all: that's just what it tastes like.

• Advertisement

Looks nice!!!:)
    I'm a fan of O'Haras other stouts but I havent managed to get my hands on Leann Follean yet.
    Might try and make it in for a pint some of the evenins its on.

Will this be the start of many cask beers in the B&C?

Will this be the start of many cask beers in the B&C?
    Only if this one goes quickly enough. It's very much a test case.

Had a few pints last night and it's really good. A big creamy pint that doesn't freeze your hand off is wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

On my way there now, hope there's some left.

MT

Had four lovely pints yesterday afternoon. Very very nice if a little warm for my liking. Thanks for the heads up BeerNut. Hopefully we'll see more cask ale about soon.

MT

• Advertisement

I certainly hope so. That cask sold in 24 hours and 16 minutes, so I think the case has been made for it. Thanks for helping out -- your sacrifice is appreciated ;)

A few people did remark that it was a bit warm -- could be that the cooling jacket wasn't working right. But these are all teething troubles which can be sorted out next time. Or the one after that...

Thanks for helping out -- your sacrifice is appreciated ;)

I like to help out :D If only I could have enjoyed a cigar with it...

The cooling jacket was on top of the keg, so as it emptied it would be less and less effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

There was an immersion chiller in the keg according to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

any idea if the porterhouse will be having a cask of this at their festival?

dereko1969 wrote: »
    any idea if the porterhouse will be having a cask of this at their festival?
    That's an interesting question. I've seen very little information on what the Porterhouse Irish Beer & Whiskey Festival (26 March to 5 April) is going to involve. But I do know that a) The Porterhouse doesn't much seem to like the notion of serving cask beer, yet b) Hilden and Whitewater are both listed as participants, which would suggest that cask might just be an option.

Whether that translates to a likelihood of other Irish brewers producing casks remains to be seen.

However, Carlow will have their Druid's Brew cask stout at the Franciscan Well Easter Festival this year (11th & 12th April), and there are usually a few other Irish beers on cask at it.

More Real Ale in Dublin: Porterhouse Temple Bar have just put Hilden Ale and Scullion's on -- and on gravity no less, for you hardcore purists :) It's part of their Irish Beer and Whiskey festival which started today.

More Real Ale in Dublin: Porterhouse Temple Bar have just put Hilden Ale and Scullion's on -- and on gravity no less, for you hardcore purists :) It's part of their Irish Beer and Whiskey festival which started today.

Have you got a chance to tried any of them yet? Yay or nay?!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Thank **** I'm up for the the match at the weekend might be able to catch a couple of pints :D

Have you got a chance to tried any of them yet?
    I've had them both before: they're solid light pale ales -- good sunny-day drinking, but nothing strange or startling. I had a nip of the Hilden Ale this afternoon before it had fully dropped and it tasted mostly fine.

Worth drinking, and especially if they're likely to lead on to more and better.

I've had them both before: they're solid light pale ales -- good sunny-day drinking, but nothing strange or startling. I had a nip of the Hilden Ale this afternoon before it had fully dropped and it tasted mostly fine.

Worth drinking, and especially if they're likely to lead on to more and better.

Might try and make the trip in to the porterhouse next week to sample a few.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

had planned on popping into the porterhouse central after work but now i'll have to trek all the way to temple bar - drat! any inkling if any of the other branches will be getting cask in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

More Real Ale in Dublin: Porterhouse Temple Bar have just put Hilden Ale and Scullion's on -- and on gravity no less, for you hardcore purists :)

Oh sweet I will be dropping in on friday:)

I do prefer Hilden Ale over Scullion's on hand pump anyway

first time having the hilden and the scullion, really really liked the hilden ale, reminded me a little of bitter and twisted (except not as bitter or twisted). wasn't mad gone on the scullion though and thought the purgatory pale ale wasn't up to much - the clotworthy dobbin was very nice though.
    seemed to be quite a few of the hilden's poured while i was there which was good to see.

So, how are the casks selling?
    Are they still available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

dereko1969 wrote: »
    first time having the hilden and the scullion, really really liked the hilden ale, reminded me a little of bitter and twisted (except not as bitter or twisted). wasn't mad gone on the scullion though and thought the purgatory pale ale wasn't up to much - the clotworthy dobbin was very nice though.
    seemed to be quite a few of the hilden's poured while i was there which was good to see.

Agree, wasn't mad about the scullion, had the hilden before up in belfast though, it's a lot nicer. Clotworthy is lovely though.

So, how are the casks selling?
    Are they still available?
    From what I hear, they are selling, which means it's hit and miss whether one's available at any given time. They don't seem to be able to replace them instantly.

From what I hear, they are selling, which means it's hit and miss whether one's available at any given time. They don't seem to be able to replace them instantly.

Good the hear there going down well.
    Might make it in tomorrow to sample them if there available. Show my support for cask!
    As well as a few others!

Denis Inner Monologue : Aha the festival is still on time for some delicious Ale
    Denis: Hi I'll have 2 Pints of the Hilden please.
    BarLady: We won't Have it until tomorrow again I'm afraid
    Denis Inner Monologue: Hmm ****, ****ty ****, Ok people have mentioned Scullions I must have some Ale.
    Denis: 2 Pints of Scullions
    BarLady: We won't Have it until tomorrow again I'm afraid
    Denis: ....
    Denis Inner Monologue : ....
    Denis: Clotworthy Dobbin?
    BarLady: Sure

The moral of the story?
    Clothworthy Dobbin is tasty but Denis was still sad and Ale-less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

mayordenis wrote: »
    The moral of the story?
    Clothworthy Dobbin is tasty but Denis was still sad and Ale-less.

Unfortunately that is the down side of cask ale it take time to vent and drop bright

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is the down side of cask ale it take time to vent and drop bright

It's my fault for living in cork

Advertisement