Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox error e74 one red light

• 03-03-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Bought it at xtravision last may 08.. and yesterday it broke.. But xbox support say it is out of warranty... i am hoping to get proof of purchase thru laser card receipts thru bank.. if not xtravision say they cant replace as i have no proof of purchase but they have admitted that there has been a problem with warranties of late as msoft have had different dates for the warranties than xvision..

anyone else had this problem and would xbox support be looking for proof of purchase had it been in 12months on their warranty..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 pdb123

If you paid for it by credit card, get an old statement, thats proof of purchase enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I had the problem all right. It makes sense that MS can have different dates. The Xbox could be sitting in a shop for months before being sold. Unless the shop takes a note of the serial number and then tells MS then how will MS know?

MS told me mine was out of warranty. A quick scan of the receipt and email was all it took. I had no hassle after that. Your credit card receipt should be good enough I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I had that same warranty issue, among other "1 red light" errors, after a few days, and turning it on and off a good few times, finally I started getting 3 red lights consistently, and shipped it off for a replacement from microsoft (under the 3 year warranty)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

bonkers wrote: »
    Bought it at xtravision last may 08.. and yesterday it broke.. But xbox support say it is out of warranty... i am hoping to get proof of purchase thru laser card receipts thru bank.. if not xtravision say they cant replace as i have no proof of purchase but they have admitted that there has been a problem with warranties of late as msoft have had different dates for the warranties than xvision..

anyone else had this problem and would xbox support be looking for proof of purchase had it been in 12months on their warranty..

If you don't have a receipt, MS go by the manufacture date of the console for the warranty. The RRoD has a 3 year warranty, any other fault is only 1 year, so make sure you get this fixed under the warranty as soon as possilbe. Xtravision won't replace the console. You have to get in touch with Microsoft and they will repair it free of charge under the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

got my credit card receipt being sent to me.. will get it friday..

so im jsut going to scan it and send it to msoft..
    then wait for them to call 72hrs seemingly i have to wait
    then send it off
    how logn before i can get past 8% in far cry 2 or watch films on my tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Well when I was sending off my console, I dropped it into the courier depot myself. Can't remember if it was UPS or DPD or someone, but they had an office in Rathmines. I just boxed my console up myself and brough the labels in to them and it was gone! You can ring and ask them to pick it up, but thats why you have to wait the 72 hours. Shouldn't be gone for more than 2 weeks and you'll have it back. I actually got a brand new console back from MS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 pdb123

If you bought it in may08, go into xtravision with the credit card receipt and demand they change it, they are required to replace it in store if you bought it and it broke with in a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

This happend to my Xbox last night as well.

Unfortunately I bought it 21/12/07, so it's well out of warranty.

Anybody know how much MS charge for out of warranty repairs? Would it be more worth my while to pick up a new Jasper unit?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

jcrowbar wrote: »
    This happend to my Xbox last night as well.

Unfortunately I bought it 21/12/07, so it's well out of warranty.

Anybody know how much MS charge for out of warranty repairs? Would it be more worth my while to pick up a new Jasper unit?

Cheers

I thought the xbox 360 had a three warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

The three year warranty only applies to the three red lights problem.

Not one.

Microsoft are saying it'll be £78 for a repair. Might just be better off picking up a new arcade unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

I got the error message on my xbox on friday nite...E74 system error...The message is due to the graphics card over heating...I have now fixed the problem and its pretty simple...Got to youtube and type it in...there are vidoes there showing you how to do it...xbox dont class this issue under there warranty as it a user error...the xbox was not kept in a cool place and so overheated...When it over heated the metal from the CPU melted onto the graphics card which in turn is making the chip over heat...If you open the xbox and clean this off using cotton buds and nail polish remover your good to go...Its easier to do than it sounds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

@ jcrowbar

Do not attempt to fix this yourself - you will void your warranty. My sons xbox was bought in May 07 and got the E74 -one red light error about 8 weeks ago. Microsoft had the date of manufacture as Nov 05 and said it was out of warranty - but as somebody else mentioned, we scanned the reciept and emailed it off. They updated their info and sent a courier for it. About two weeks later a brand new xbox arrived back. There is a two year guarantee for that E74 problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Should be of some interest.
    For a few months now, Xbox 360 users have been quietly venting about a "new" hardware fault with the console, where instead of displaying three red rings, machines would show an "E74" error.

Just because it didn't flash the iconic red rings, though, doesn't mean it wasn't bad! If you got it, your console would display a system error warning (pictured above), and it meant your machine was fried. Which is probably why Microsoft have decided to issue an extended warranty for the fault, similar to the one offered to red ring sufferers.

While the majority of Xbox 360 owners continue to have a great experience with their console, we are aware that a very small percentage of our customers have reported receiving an error that displays "E74" on their screen. After investigating the issue, we have determined that the E74 error message can indicate the general hardware failure that is associated with three flashing red lights error on the console. As a result, we have decided to cover repairs related to the E74 error message under our three-year warranty program for certain general hardware failures that was announced in July 2007.

That's the, uh, "good" news. The better news? If your machine suffered from an E74 previously, and you had to pay for repairs, Microsoft will refund you the amount some time over the next 4-12 weeks.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water! leave your 360 alone without fear of it falling over and dying!

http://kotaku.com/5211159/microsoft-extends-warranty-for-e74-failures

If you look on Microsofts website you will see that E74 does not fall under the warranty...So they will charge you to fix this...In this day and age its cheaper to just buy a new computer than send it away...If your gonna send it away than fine but its a waste of money...I fixed this problem in about 40mins and it cost me €2.50 as my sister ran oput of nail polish remover...I put the xbox back together and no problem since...

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    If you look on Microsofts website you will see that E74 does not fall under the warranty...So they will charge you to fix this...In this day and age its cheaper to just buy a new computer than send it away...If your gonna send it away than fine but its a waste of money...I fixed this problem in about 40mins and it cost me €2.50 as my sister ran oput of nail polish remover...I put the xbox back together and no problem since...

Erm,

Did you read the post previous to yours, it just been announced that the E74 warranty has been extended to 3Years like the RROD warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Look like cisk got there before me, M$ is now including the e74 errors under their 3 year warranty.

Have a look at this thread:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59820122
    cisk wrote: »
    Erm,

Did you read the post previous to yours, it just been announced that the E74 warranty has been extended to 3Years like the RROD warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cowboy supper

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Look like cisk got there before me, M$ is now including the e74 errors under their 3 year warranty.

Have a look at this thread:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59820122

Well guys wait till ya hear this for bad luck!

Got the e74 mes last week phoned ****ty microsoft they said they wouldnt pay for it id have to pay for it toi get fixed myself. So I tried to bring it back to the shop but I bought in 2007 so they said no. So looked up youtube to fix the e74 repairs got all the materials took the machine apart tried to fix it. It didnt work, so at the moment my xbox is in pieces and ive just read that microsoft will now fix e74 problem.

Good times my advice guys is never buy a ****ing xbox!!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well guys wait till ya hear this for bad luck!

Got the e74 mes last week phoned ****ty microsoft they said they wouldnt pay for it id have to pay for it toi get fixed myself. So I tried to bring it back to the shop but I bought in 2007 so they said no. So looked up youtube to fix the e74 repairs got all the materials took the machine apart tried to fix it. It didnt work, so at the moment my xbox is in pieces and ive just read that microsoft will now fix e74 problem.

Good times my advice guys is never buy a ****ing xbox!!!!!! :mad:

My advice is dont open up a complex electronic device you arent qualified to fix and void the warranty

VinLieger wrote: »
    My advice is dont open up a complex electronic device you arent qualified to fix and void the warranty

But the machine was out of warranty
    microsoft told me id have to pay to get the problem fixed myself

So what did I have to loose if I couldnt afford to pay £100 to get it fixed so what did I have to loose at the time????

But the machine was out of warranty
    microsoft told me id have to pay to get the problem fixed myself

So what did I have to loose if I couldnt afford to pay £100 to get it fixed so what did I have to loose at the time????

Put it back together and send it back, there not as strict as you think.

If the warranty sticky is in bad order, take it off completely and get all remains of it off so it looks like it was never there to begin with.

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    Put it back together and send it back, there not as strict as you think.

If the warranty sticky is in bad order, take it off completely and get all remains of it off so it looks like it was never there to begin with.

Nah it not worth it I emailed them and explained the matter they wont touch it if the the sticker has even been touched. Ahh well just really bad luck I guess. But Microsoft should have had this done years ago. They are a disgrace! :mad:

Thats just a script mate.

I would give it a go, a bloke i flashed his 360 got RRod, sent it back flashed and no sticker. They sent him back a new 360.

Ive seen it happen many of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

well there is absolutely nothing to lose in posting it off to them for free and see what happens. If they fix it happy days, if not you were goosed anyway so no biggy

How far did you get into fixing it?...The last part is the hardest...Underneath the core on the motherboard did you see 2 metal X's? if you did the metal X underneath the smallest part of the core is the 1 u need to remove...Once this is removed u can remove the smaller part of the core...Underneath this you will see where the underneath of the core melted onto the mother board...Clean this off with nail polish remover and cotton buds...Underneath u will reveal the Black graphics chip...Now all you need to do is piece the Xbox back together...

You will need to turn it on and off...When you turn it on then there will be no red light...

Sounds tough but is quite simple...
    Also since you Xbox is so old you may have 4screws instead of the metal X...

I know ye are saying its underwarranty but they charge you to fix it...Why pay €100 to get a faulty Xbox fixed when for another €20 you can get a brand new 1 without a hard-drive...Then just use your existing hard-drive...

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    How far did you get into fixing it?...The last part is the hardest...Underneath the core on the motherboard did you see 2 metal X's? if you did the metal X underneath the smallest part of the core is the 1 u need to remove...Once this is removed u can remove the smaller part of the core...Underneath this you will see where the underneath of the core melted onto the mother board...Clean this off with nail polish remover and cotton buds...Underneath u will reveal the Black graphics chip...Now all you need to do is piece the Xbox back together...

You will need to turn it on and off...When you turn it on then there will be no red light...

Sounds tough but is quite simple...
    Also since you Xbox is so old you may have 4screws instead of the metal X...

I know ye are saying its underwarranty but they charge you to fix it...Why pay €100 to get a faulty Xbox fixed when for another €20 you can get a brand new 1 without a hard-drive...Then just use your existing hard-drive...

Cheers guys for the help and the support firstly my xbox is baiscly in pieces so theres no real point.

Secondly Yeah took both xclamps off as instructed cleaned the microchip of the old thermal paste applied new stuff bought the 5m washers nylon and metal and the 10 m screws cooked the 360 for two minutes with the 2 lights on still no sucess i will keep going!

Heres a link to what I did

http://www.youtube.com/lawdawg0931?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

Advertisement