Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of steel tubing anyone?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Got a quote from a fella to construct a GAA goal for the youngster.
    When he told me how much the steel was costing him, I had my doubts.

If you have experience of this kind of thing, how much do you think the following would cost?

Goal 4.2m wide crossbar + 4.2m high uprights, maybe 2" to 2.5" diameter tubing?

So I suppose:
    1 * 4.2m tube for crossbar
    2 * 4.2m tube for uprights
    2 * 3m tube for stansions (thinner tubes which can be shaped into an arc I guess)

As you can see, I don't know much about steel, but I hate being ripped off at the same time ....

Thanks.
    /M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't know the prices, but please be very careful, I understand that goalposts have fallen over in the past, causing serious injury. You need to be certain that they are installed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

If this is just for the young lad in the back garden then why not try using cheaper and safer materials.
    1 1/2" white waste pipe would be much easier to work with, cheaper and safer if it fell.
    Not quite as stable as steel but another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks for the advice. We are in a quite exposed area, so I don't want to get something that could blow down.

I can get one ready-made where the goal part is steel and then the upright extensions are something akin to hard plastic (for safety I guess). That's the one you see in GAA pitches for the kids, with two wheels for moving it around. That costs 320 Euro, which was a bit steep for me. I thought I could save myself some money by asking around locally and I got a contact for a guy who had made a set for a neighbour. Anyway he ended up quoting more than the off-the-shelf one so I got suspicious then.

I agree of course, safety is paramount, so maybe 320 isn't so bad. At least I shopped around I suppose ....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

I made a clothes line last year using 48ø galvanised tube which cost 24€ per 6m length. I would guess that the price has probably come down since? I used kee klamp fittings for the joints, these can be expensive depending on the fittings you chose, but they are very neat and don't require welding. See link for details:

http://www.allenkeyfittings.ie/keeklamp/catalogue.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks 3d, that's a big help. I think his quote for the steel was a bit cheeky alright. Spose I could always ask him to break it down for me .... think I'll just say thanks but no thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement