Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes - Sending insulin abroad by post

Options
  • 03-03-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I have a family member with diabetes out in Australia at the moment. He wants to stay out longer but the insulin supply he has will eventually run out (in a few months - not urgent) and he will need more.

I was going to go over myself on holiday and carry extra insulin with me. However, I would rather send it by post if possible.

Is there a way to do this given the advice that doctors usually give regarding not packing your insulin in your luggage that will go in the hold when flying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

It would be best to talk to a courier about this - Australia x-rays all incoming post and will almost certainly not allow insulin through. Not to mention that insulin would be damaged by sitting in a van in the current Australian summer.

A courier might be able to enlighten you as to the rules, whether you can get documentation to accompany the drugs, if they have some way of transporting medicines so that they are kept in the correct environment, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is there any good reason he can't get it out there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Go to a GP and get an Aussie precription. Simpleist and quickest method and you can be confident about the conditions that the insulin has been stored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

robinph wrote: »
    Go to a GP and get an Aussie precription. Simpleist and quickest method and you can be confident about the conditions that the insulin has been stored in.

Presumably he will have to pay for that though? Whereas if he gets it from here then he doesn't.

OP - If you were stopped at customs with the insulin then i'm not sure you would be allowed through as you would need a doctors letter stating that YOU need the insulin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I had insulin couriered out to me in Aus before via DHL - no problems. This would have been six years ago. Might be better if he got a local prescription, although he may have to pay for it, I had to pay $120 US for Lantus in uruguay before christmas! Also, will you be able to get the insulin from the pharmacy for him? do you have his LTI book? I don't think there's any problem with you carrying the insulin yourself either, I've never been stopped or asked for the letter, it's more the needles they are worried about than the insulin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

See this thread in the Oz/ NZ forum about a similar issue:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055456643

I only got as far as discovering that I'd get a reduced rate on the precription costs in NZ, but I think it's a similar situation in Oz.

Advertisement