Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the disgraced former taosaich Bertie re enter politics again ?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

will he run for president ?

mayor of dublin

or europe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

newtlover wrote: »
    will he run for president ?

mayor of dublin

or europe

He is not disgraced. He has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing by any court or tribunal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

and he has to leave politics before he can re-enter.
    AFAIK he is still TD for Dublin north-central .

Would he try to get the FF nomination for President? - I doubt it but you never know.
    European president/president of comission? - He would probably like that but he may have a tarnished reputation in Brussels so may not run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think the legacy is so bad, he'd be looked upon rather poorly by the EU/UN/High School Musical Appriciation Society.

Prolly a shoe-in for President of Ireland then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

cm2000 wrote: »
    He is not disgraced. He has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing by any court or tribunal.

Well, no court will actually disgrace him. He did it himself.

Since Irish voters seem to have a short memory, I would expect him to be succesfully re-elected at the next elections as a TD, in the same way the Flynn's keep coming back. Local politics seem to be more important than ethics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

The "dig outs" he took are small beer compared to the mess he left the country in. The property bubble grew on his watch. He let the public service become the most bloated one in the world on his watch. Those of us who felt the cold winds of recession coming a few years ago he told to go off and commit suicide. Easy for him on his big fat pay, perks + pension. If he ever came to my door looking for a vote he would be lucky not to get a rotten tomato in his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jimmmy wrote: »
    The "dig outs" he took are small beer compared to the mess he left the country in. The property bubble grew on his watch. He let the public service become the most bloated one in the world on his watch. Those of us who felt the cold winds of recession coming a few years ago he told to go off and commit suicide. Easy for him on his big fat pay, perks + pension. If he ever came to my door looking for a vote he would be lucky not to get a rotten tomato in his face.

he'd be lucky not to get more than that...lotto odds lucky.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I wouldn't put him in charge of a chip shop and that's the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Honestly, what do you expect when he was tutored by that f*ckin scumbag Haughey.

He is a serving TD, where the f*ck is he, has he taken personal leave to head off to Central America, or is he representing us on how to F*ck up properly.

He should be put against the wall in Kilmainham and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is there a chance he'll be held untill Gerry Adams runs for President?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

If he is still TD for Dublin North Central, what the bloody hell is he doing swanning round South America on lucrative speaking engagements??? Can we deduct that from his TD's salary???

The one thing that sickens me about media coverage of this recession, more than anything, is the complete absence of mention of Bertie's name as architect of this fine mess. EVERYONE who is culpable for this property bubble and subsequent burst, was appointed and rode high under Bertie's watch.

His ugly, sneering face for me personifies everything that is sick and corrupt about modern Ireland, from the greed, to the lies, to the spin, to the dirty deals, to the promotion of sharks, to the shafting of good people, to the culture of a life lived purely and ruthlessly in pursuit of money and power, no matter how many people are trampled on along the way.

VOMIT!

• Advertisement

HydeRoad wrote: »
    If he is still TD for Dublin North Central, what the bloody hell is he doing swanning round South America on lucrative speaking engagements??? Can we deduct that from his TD's salary???

The one thing that sickens me about media coverage of this recession, more than anything, is the complete absence of mention of Bertie's name as architect of this fine mess. EVERYONE who is culpable for this property bubble and subsequent burst, was appointed and rode high under Bertie's watch.

His ugly, sneering face for me personifies everything that is sick and corrupt about modern Ireland, from the greed, to the lies, to the spin, to the dirty deals, to the promotion of sharks, to the shafting of good people, to the culture of a life lived purely and ruthlessly in pursuit of money and power, no matter how many people are trampled on along the way.

VOMIT!

Great post, we should start a party.

The c*nt spent 5 weeks doing a farewell tour when he was forced to resign to save his arse from prosecution, while the fuc*wit BIFFO was signing songs on the back of a trailer in OFFAL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

He left office in disgrace, only he didn't have the decency to admit it. Hopefully the Mahon tribunal judgement will finish the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I bet he'd get in. Being a crook, having one in the family or freely associating with them, seems to be a plus on your political C.V. Of course, a dim witted, parochially minded, stuck in the past electorate, does no harm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

and he has to leave politics before he can re-enter.
    AFAIK he is still TD for Dublin north-central .

Would he try to get the FF nomination for President? - I doubt it but you never know.
    European president/president of comission? - He would probably like that but he may have a tarnished reputation in Brussels so may not run.

exactly, and I'd say he's still claiming all his expenses even though he's off feathering his own nest doing conferences for gullible mexicans about the wonders bertienomics

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

deadhead13 wrote: »
    He left office in disgrace, only he didn't have the decency to admit it. Hopefully the Mahon tribunal judgement will finish the job.

he left his office in disgrace, and then disgracefully had his new tds office redecorated with rembrants and shiny things at the cost of hundreds of thousands of euros of our money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The anger in this thread is actually uplifting!

I doubt Bertie would run for anything. Nationally he is too "disgraced", although people might forget. Globally and in the EU the people are smart enough not to give him anything. Well hopefully at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

That's not enough. The man should be paraded in humiliation on the world stage as a prime example of the depths of slime and corruption that can infest humanity with devastating lifetime effects on ordinary people, and the dragging of the national pride of a whole country into the sewer.

That man preened at the funeral recently of the same man he shafted years before, simply because as an honest man, he presented a threat to everything rotten that Bertie stood for.

That's not enough. The man should be paraded in humiliation on the world stage as a prime example of the depths of slime and corruption that can infest humanity with devastating lifetime effects on ordinary people, and the dragging of the national pride of a whole country into the sewer.

That man preened at the funeral recently of the same man he shafted years before, simply because as an honest man, he presented a threat to everything rotten that Bertie stood for.

I like this idea, it has serious potential, any suggestions on punishments for Bertie, we know he's a liar because he lied under oath.
    bmaxi wrote: »
    I bet he'd get in. Being a crook, having one in the family or freely associating with them, seems to be a plus on your political C.V. Of course, a dim witted, parochially minded, stuck in the past electorate, does no harm either.

Great post, explains Ireland to a T

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭gearoidc

VOMIT!

Well said. You've articulated perfectly the sense of frustration/fury that fella provokes in me.
    It was remarked upon in the tv biog how he was expert at keeping his head down, biding his time during power struggles. Keepin his head down again now. "The most cunning, the most devious of them all"
    If he gets president of this fukked up, joke republic of ours we deserve to be re-planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frank007

he is 2-1 with PP to be the next president of ireland, can't see anybody else beating him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Frank007 wrote: »
    he is 2-1 with PP to be the next president of ireland, can't see anybody else beating him

Well depending on the Mahon Tribunal report and depending on how our economic woes play out we could well have a descent challenger to Bertie by 2011.
    Also the electorate could still be very bitter about the problems he caused.
    The upturn may not have even begun by 2011!

Besides, what's the worst he can do as president?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

dave-higgz wrote: »

Besides, what's the worst he can do as president?

Be President.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dick Spring, Alan Dukes, anybody but that corrupt slimeball Bertie.

Politcally Bertie is damaged goods. I would bet any odds that he won't even be FFs candidate for the presidency. He will not escape Mahon untouched and when the judgment comes down the media will absolutely hammer him. His legacy will be sealed.

FF will not want the scandal replayed all over again 2 years later, especially since so many them have compromised themselves in slavishly defending the indefensible. A safe option will be found - just like McAeesle getting the nod over Reynolds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Thats because the political/justice system is a complete joke in this country. No one with money/power ever gets punished. The defence he gave for the money he received was like something some knacker crime boss in Dublin would say - 'I won it on the horses'. 'I didn't have a bank account', for fook sake I had a bank account when I was 10 years of age, this is a grown man who was job at the time was one of the most important in the country and was directly related to banking, how the fook could he not have a bank account?? Who, over the age of 18 doesn't have a bank account?

He should've been charged with fraud, corruption, whatever, his laughable defences (and they literally had people laughing in the tribunal gallery) wouldn't wash in properly run court of law. But as this is Ireland he'll probably be our next President.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It would probably be a good thing if he ran for President. It could be Brian Lenihan snr all over again.

It would probably be a good thing if he ran for President. It could be Brian Lenihan snr all over again.

I for one, would like to see him try and fail miserably - a fitting end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

you can be as corrupt as you want in his country if you have power and money

people will still vote for these people because there hot FF and will not vote any other way which is pretty sad :rolleyes:

the people in mayo voted for B Flynn is beyound a joke

and bertie is dodgy, has not be found guilty of anything and never will be

and these tribunals are another joke we hear of all the wrong doings so we can rant and moan on forums like his till where blue in the face.

can anyone name one TD or big businessman that has gone to jail in the last ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frank007

Liam Lawlor and Joe higgins (for very different reasons)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Liam Lawlor - contempt of court proceedings investigating corruption(tribunal)
    Joe Higgins - Protesting against Bin tax if memory is correct

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement