Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company liquidation and product fault

Options
  • 03-03-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I don't want to go into too much detail on the company as they may yet come round and I'm not sure what I can legally post,but my problem is I bought an item about 18 months ago which was manufactured in Ireland through a local supplier. It now seems that the item has a design fault which doesnt stop it working but does have an effect on how it works and is more inconvient than anything else.
    My probelm is, as the company is probably (but not definately) gone there will be no one to fix this design fault. The local supplier I bought it from is some one I have known for many years and I know would genuinely do anything they could to help but they will not be able to fix this problem.
    I'm just wondering where do I stand, I think my local supplier would be responsible to fix this problem but when it's a design fault they dont have a capacity to redesign and manufacture new parts and because of the situation with the manufacturer they can't get any support.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I don't know the answer but with all the posts here about Gift vouchers for now defunct business, this issue of who has to honor your warranty is a very good question?

If you have a faulty item from a retailer that's gone under will the liquidator refund you? Will you be at the end or start of the line of creditors? Are your consumer rights gone down the pan?

In your case I doubt you would have any recourse.

Would the small claims court award you compo or a refund for this fault if the manufacture had refused to rectify the issue?

Advertisement