Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian food?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Going for dinner in athlone tonight? Any recommendations on a good Indian restaurant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Mother India or Saagar! Prefer Mother India myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Great, any directions or a street name there?

sorry only seeing this today, hopefully you got to where you wanted to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

I know this is an older thread but theres a new Indian/Grill kinda place open at Belhavel called the Charcoal Grill - gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I've seen their flyers, but where is it? At the back?

• Advertisement

Its between McSharrys Pharmacy/Body Beautiful Salon and the Chocolate Heaven/Shoe Rack shops. Kinda across the road from McDonalds/Kozzys/Ollys Sandwich shop

Interesting. Must give it a tryout.

I'll be available anytime.. ;)

Their specials cost €8.50, range from steak to shish kebabs, all served with chips, salad and naan/pitta bread.

They then have Indian meals like Masala, Jalfreizi, Vindaloo etc for €9.50, this comes with Rice.

They also had stuff like burgers for €5.50, breakfasts etc.

Very reasonable, and as you can see, I have visited often!

Forgot about the charcoal grill! It's more like a cafe/fast food restaurant, but yes, the food is excellent, and the service is great. Everytime I get a take away from there the owner/manager goes out of his way to make sure everything is ok, and will even make any food you want!! The tikka masala is nice.

Wandered by to look at the place earlier tonight. It really does look like a caf. But the menu is varied, they look pretty well set up and it was clean. So I'm all for trying it out next time I get the takeaway urge :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention about it being small and cafe like.

HOWEVER! I heard the owner speaking to one of the staff members and saying how he intends to do like what Pizza Mama/Slice of Life did. Get the customer base and then find a bigger place.

The building is the old Triple S sambo/soup shop. I have to agree that the guy really goes out of his way. On a Friday a co-worker and myself head in, and he always discuss's things about the meals we want. My friend commented on how spicy a certain dish was and he said he'd tone it down next time for her!

Advertisement