Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV licence

• 03-03-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

Anyone ever get fined for not having a tv licence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Anyone ever get fined for not having a tv licence?

they pull people on it every couple of years 2 make an example of them

no one i know anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

Just the last one was up in october, but we are moving out in may, so is it worthwhile getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

The people on TV get caught, just dont tell loads of stories and pretend your foreign and your all set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm from Barbados.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Just the last one was up in october, but we are moving out in may, so is it worthwhile getting one?

well if you get one you can transfer it to the new address

but if you dont want to get one for the next2 months then dont theirs no point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Never been caught. Well I have been caught but they only gave me a warning. I just said "it's my mothers house, I don't live here, I'll pay it tomorrow" just like that, I got a written warning and moved out of the house. Maybe I should have told my mother about it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'm from Barbados.

No your not, you can speak english!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Friend of mine was brought to court. It was worth it for the laugh she had hanging around the courts all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Just because you have an antenna outside your house doesnt mean you watch tv :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Puddleduck wrote: »

Yes he is, English is the official language of Barbados

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

ScumLord wrote: »
    Never been caught. Well I have been caught but they only gave me a warning. I just said "it's my mothers house, I don't live here, I'll pay it tomorrow" just like that, I got a written warning and moved out of the house. Maybe I should have told my mother about it. :confused:

Careful THEY might be watching :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't have any tellys, I have 5 fish tanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Friend of mine got a caution, followed by a summons a few months later for an audience another few months later. He bought the license on his way to court and the judge dismissed the case, even though the inspector spotted it was two hours old but he failed to get the judge to reconsider....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I don't have a tv....just a 32" PC monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Puddleduck wrote: »

Reported for racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

When I was a student I got a letter in first year saying 'we're gonna get ya' I wrote a snotty letter back saying that one does not presume that I have a car and thus require a drivers licence so why presume that I have a tv ?

When my GF and I do get married we're thinking of getting a projector to watch DVDs instead of a TV.
    Just because you have an antenna outside your house doesnt mean you watch tv

Crap
    CRAP

CRAP!!

*runs to disassemble SAM guidance array*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I read last week in the Indo that 65 people were jailed last year for not having a tv license.
    so if you want your jollies in future go out , mug old women, rape women, murder people and you should be ok.
    But forbid you don't have a tv license. You're fcuked then boyo.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

54 people jailed last year for failing to have TV licence

The situation was described as "crazy" by Fine Gael last night, who pointed out it costs e2,000 a week to keep a person in prison.
    Figures released to Fine Gael TD Jim O’Keeffe in a parliamentary question show:
    *54 people went to jail in 2008 for not paying their TV licence.
    *This compared to 32 people in 2007, a rise of almost 70%.
    *220 people have been imprisoned for the offence over the past five years.
    "This is crazy, from every point of view, from the individual’s point of view and the Exchequer’s," said Mr O’Keeffe.
    "It’s wrong, from my point of view, to put people in prison because they are poor.
    "It’s crazy for the exchequer. The TV licence is e160. It costs e2,000 a week to put them in jail."
    Supplying Mr O’Keeffe with the information, Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said: "I can advise the deputy that the number of such persons held in custody are held for very short periods of time and comprise a tiny fraction of the overall prisoner population.
    "To illustrate this point, figures relating to 16 February 2009 indicate that there was only one person in custody for non-payment of fines in relation to not having a television licence."
    Mr O’Keeffe said: "Dermot Ahern said there is a very small number involved, but 54 is 54 too many."
    The deputy said figures Mr Ahern gave him the previous week showed that more than 8,000 people were sent to jail for not paying fines or debts over the last five years.
    Almost 1,100 were jailed for not paying debts, including 276 in 2008 — by far the highest over the five years.
    More than 7,300 were jailed for not paying fines, including an estimated 1,500 people in 2008.
    Mr O’Keeffe said the current legislation did not allow the courts to order the payment of fines by instalment.
    "This would be say e5 a week deducted at source from social welfare or wages until the fine is paid," he said.
    He said the Government had refused to accept his private members bill proposing such a change to the law.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/ideysnmhey/

I've probably received 4 or 5 letters already, and dodged the inspector twice. Does the inspector have to catch you before you get a summons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I've probably received 4 or 5 letters already, and dodged the inspector twice. Does the inspector have to catch you before you get a summons?

Not that I know of. They are a bunch of wänkers.

Howz about you make a laminated sign for your window saying :

"NO SALES PEOPLE, NO JUNK MAIL AND NO TV LICENSE INSPECTORS".

It might be crazy 'nuff ta work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Just make sure the TV is not able to be seen from outside the house. THen if they come asking, tell them ye have no TV. If they say you do. Tell them Prove it. But DO NOT let them into your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All those people that got done for no tv licence are now in the same boat as drug dealers and murders as far as the state is considered too. Once you have a criminal record in this country it doesn't matter what it's for, there's no differentiation between the crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'm from Barbados.

I hear they speak English there.

Unless you're signed up for Sky or NTL or something, they can't prove you own a tv without actually seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Jesus if I was caught without a TV license I would just die with embarrassment......

Wait,why am listening to the ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Unless you're signed up for Sky or NTL or something, they can't prove you own a tv without actually seeing it.

Doesn't matter a toss what I'm signed up for, unless they can actually prove I have a TV in my home they can't do anything about it. And I would have to let them into my home for them to prove that. That ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
    Plus I live in an apartment so unless they can look in the 4th floor window they can't see whether I have a TV or not :p

Suckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Homer wrote: »
    Doesn't matter a toss what I'm signed up for, unless they can actually prove I have a TV in my home they can't do anything about it. And I would have to let them into my home for them to prove that. That ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
    Plus I live in an apartment so unless they can look in the 4th floor window they can't see whether I have a TV or not :p

Suckers!

You should be careful on nights out. If approached by an attractive woman looking to spend the night back in your place DEMAND identification to prove she's not a licence inspector on a sting operation. Make sure to point out that you're not normally this paranoid as she makes for the nearest door...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Detector Vans are a load of rubbish. Big con job to scare people.
    I can't see how if you were living in an apartment you could get caught. I got warning letters in a house and ignored them, but then one day the inspector was waiting outside and asked my mate did he have a tv. He said yes, so we had to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

they can't prove you own a tv without actually seeing it.
    Or they seem the box for the 52" flatscreen in the bin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

what about if the muppets that lived there before ya got one?! :pac:
    thats what happened in my house. You cant see our sitting room because were one storey up and i still had to contribute to this one even though the last license was in the last tenants name...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

I got a Couple of warnings about getting one.Had to in the end. Sorry i did now with the amount of increases on it over the last few yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I just pay 13 quid a month. Don't notice that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NibNib

I got a warning letter from the TV inspector in 2006 before I moved into my house. It was a new built and practically an empty shell. :eek:

I think he made a TV materialised out of his h***! :pac:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My sis in law was at home when they called, she hadn't got a licence, and had just started renting the apartment a month before. When they called, she said she was from the estate agents and the previous tennant had moved out that week and she was up cleaning the place! The inspector just said grand and went on his merry way! I can't believe she managed to come up with that on the spur of the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

part of my job is with the tv licence section and they are clamping down big time...seen alot of court notices in last while...dont think we should need to have one myself especially as its sh1te tv..maybe we should start a petition againt having to pay it in first place...what ya think...

sign here if you would like to abolish paying of tv licence.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have a direct debit to send since last december, got one warning about it... I keep forgetting about it... oops? Do they back track the pay???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

pending how long it is to you paying it. if it goes to court they fine you from the time you were meant to have one to the time you did pay....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Just don't answer your door to unexpected visitors, simple as.

The only people who call to your door who haven't called you on your mobile first are Christian lunatics who want to convert you, sales men and TV licence inspectors.
    Oh and neighbours who have an emergency to deal with.

Regardless, they're never people you want to deal with.

I was standing in the kitchen (past the hall, visible through the panes on the front door) making lunch last week and there was a ring on the door, I looked the guy in the face and then closed the kitchen door and sure enough he fucked off a few minutes later, it's not like they're going to hang around for extended periods of time after all.

How do you pay for a months licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

The TV licence people are still sending reminders and notices of inspectors in the area to me despite having gotten my licence back in October, leads me to have zero confidence in their database or their organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I only watch television as a leisure activity.

If I ever wanted to go into professional viewing I would get a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

I just dont answer the door to them. Had them calling and even leaving cards under my door and in the letterbox saying 'failure to pay... blah blah blah...fine of €blah blah'. Last time was about a month ago, same craic just didnt open the door lol. Thought they had given up as they hadn't been around for the previous two months. What are they gonna do, the cops aren't gonna come down to make me open it and they dont have my name as Im in rented accomodation so they can piss off. Fairly satisfying when they know you know they are at the door and yet they can do fook all hehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you get caught they just tell you to get one and they will call around in another 2 weeks and if you dont have one then, you will get a fine.

If your moving out soon then dont bother. If they call around and you get caught you can just get one then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TomMorgan

What screws you over is getting a license in the first palce. Then they have you by the balls for the rest of your life. I've NEVER had a license, therefore there's no proof that I've a TV.

Some easy steps to avoid paying:

1)Never answer your door unless you know who it is.

2)If you do answer your door, say "I don't have a TV". Unless your house is like in the ads where they all apparently have their TVs sitting just by the front door, then you're grand. Let the f*ckers come back with a warrant.

Homer wrote: »

Suckers!

It does, they can check with NTL or Sky or whoever, if there is gear getting pipped to your house/flat.

A guy I know, his grandfather has never owned a tv, yet every year, a license inspector comes to the door. When he is given the explanation 'I don't own a tv.' He replied with, 'I don't believe that you have never owned a tv.' 'Can I come in to check?'
    Their 'detection' is bollocks.

Infact, if a tv license inspector comes to my door, I'm going to punch him in the colon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

It does, they can check with NTL or Sky or whoever, if there is gear getting pipped to your house/flat.

No they can't thanks to the Data Protection Act. Doen'st matter anyway, not much they can do if you don't open the door to them in the first place.

Pub07 wrote: »
    not much they can do if you don't open the door to them in the first place.

Agreed.
    Case closed.

Good work men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I was caught by the rocks yesterday evening, doorbell rang, was expecting someone, opened it there he was. Like a rabbit caught in headlights i was when realising he had full view of me telly through the curtainless patio windows (had just taken them down to clean them) so open view into the living room. Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

gambiaman wrote: »
    I was caught by the rocks yesterday evening, doorbell rang, was expecting someone, opened it there he was. Like a rabbit caught in headlights i was when realising he had full view of me telly through the curtainless patio windows (had just taken them down to clean them) so open view into the living room. Bah.

Ah come on, you had so many ways of getting out of that..

Most straight forward option: Shoot him in the face. That'll learn him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement