Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on being in the closet

Options
  • 03-03-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I actually thought I already posted this, but the computer says no.

Right am well I'm 20 and bi and my question is this: How do I stay in the closet and still embrace (can't think of a better word) who I am?
    Told the parents, didn't believe me and thought I was being swayed to the dark side. Ok not their actual words but still;) Told my best friend, who's frankly amazing so :D on that.
    I am more than willing to stay in the closet until I leave Limerick next January but its still quite frustrating keeping this side of me quiet. Also I've never kissed a girl. Had romantic and sexual feelings alright but no action:P

Frankly its pissing me off not knowing what to do. So yes all help would be greatly appreciated:) I only have one gay friend (and I'm not even sure on that) in college so can't go to the LGBT society there and I'm working/at home weekends so can't make the other group meetings.

So ya pretty please???:)

Oh ya, I'm quite happy being bi. I hate labels 'cos I don't give a damn what you are-if you ask me what I am my answer will ALWAYS be: I'm Katie:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I think I can kind of relate to you because I'm from Cork, but live in Dublin. My parents and all my friends in Dublin know, as well as my closest friend in Cork. I don't think any of my other older mates in Cork will take it as well as the ones in Dublin though, so you could say I'm 'in the closet' regarding them.

To answer your question, from my point of view, you can't ever feel like yourself if you're in the closet. Sometimes it's necessary to be in the closet around certain people though, and if you feel you know who you should tell and who you shouldn't, then I commend you.

The first piece of advice my parents gave me when I came out to them was to be very selective about who else should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I'm not sure I follow... if you told your parents and best friend, then how are you still in the closet? You don't have to broadcast it to the world and everyone you meet. Thinking you're in the closet is just going to make it seem like a big deal, but in reality you've already told the important people so it doesn't really matter who else knows.

Also, go to the LGBT society, the point is to make new friends. Lots of people turn up there not knowing anybody, you're lucky to already know one person.

Advertisement