Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low energy downlighters -advice

Options
  • 03-03-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

What are people's thoughts on energy efficient downlighters ?

We have a 6 bulb track above the island in our kitchen and the track is rated to hold 6 x 35W halogens. The 35W halogens are more difficult to get a hold of compared to the 50W ones. Nonetheless, I went into the light fittings shop where I originally purchased the track to replace one of the bulbs and the sales attendant told me that the energy efficient versions actually are brighter !?!

She told me that they were a good deal more expensive but they had a much longer lifetime. The units have a cluster of high-emittance LEDs not unlike some of those extra bright (xenon?) torches. The energy efficient bulbs definitely put out a cooler (as in colour temperature) light but I am not sure about the claim that they would illuminate a room more than their traditional halogen counterparts ....

The bulbs she showed me were equivalent to 40W. I'm assuming that is that the manufacturer is claiming that they emit approx equivalent of the same optical emission as 40W traditional halogens. If that is the case then the difference ought to be marginal.

Just wondering for electricians and other forum members 2cents of opinion on these bulbs (apart from their $$ cost).

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ifconfig wrote: »
    The sales attendant told me that the energy efficient versions actually are brighter !?!
    Sales talk, not really true.
    She told me that they were a good deal more expensive but they had a much longer lifetime.
    Leds have a range of normally 30,000 to 50,000 hours model dependent. Normal halogen would be more 5000 - 10,000 hours.
    The energy efficient bulbs definitely put out a cooler (as in colour temperature) light.
    They can be gotten in different shades. She probably showed you 'Daylight white' but they can also be gotten in 'Warm' which is more of a yellowish glow.
    I am not sure about the claim that they would illuminate a room more than their traditional halogen counterparts ....
    No i dont think they would, on par if you got a 2-3 watt led.
    The bulbs she showed me were equivalent to 40W. I'm assuming that is that the manufacturer is claiming that they emit approx equivalent of the same optical emission as 40W traditional halogens. If that is the case then the difference ought to be marginal.

Yes they will be fine, but just ask her what wattage they are. To be 40W i would say that they should be more than a 2 watt type.

One word of warning is making sure they are Mains GU10's, and not 12v MR16 as they will need a change of transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just wondering for electricians and other forum members 2cents of opinion on these bulbs (apart from their $$ cost).

-ifc

There are loads of posts about this, in short I have yet to see a low cost 2/3Watt LED fitting that is a replacement for a 50W 12V halogen fitting.

Take note that a 12V halogen fitting (MR16, the one with the traffo) have a better output then the 220V fittings (GU10), the 220V lamps/fittings should be avoided all they save is initial installation time and the cost of a traffo.

A boards poster recently tested LED vs Halogen Vs CFL (megaman lamps) and he/she found the CFL to be the best option, I've carried out similar tests.

IMO you will need more light positions for the current low cost LED lamps, therefore they are not quite at the one for one replacement stage yet IMHO. However if you are wiring a place from scratch they are an option.

It also depends on the person BTW. My brother in law (who may read this :) ) in convinced that the LED lamps are as bright because he cant see past the cost saving. Even though everyone else thought they were less bright, so a lux meter was required :D After checking out the scientific reading he cried "who touched the thermostat" and left the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I agree with stoner on this one...

We have a very high percentage of downlighters in our house (60+) and i was recently looking to replace the 35w GU10 bulbs with either CFL or LED.

I have done hours and hours of research on this so far and have tested different cfls and different LED bulbs and i have come to the conclusion that i cannot find a LED bulb that gives out decent light for my liking.

(Ie doesnt make the room look blueish (cool colour led bulb) or like a dim lit closet (warm type bulb))

So i then looked at GU10 CFL bulbs (megaman 11w cfl), and they are fine in a space like a utility room but found them to be no good for my needs in rooms like my kitchen or living room as i did not like the light from them.

I have stuck with my 35w gu10 bulbs for now - (on dimmers at least), but have replaced the utility room downlighters with cfl gu10s.

If you want to check a type of bulb first before buying a lot of them, most electrical wholesalers will lend you a bulb to try if you ask nicely.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i would agree with the previous postees, i to have tested gu-10 cfl against led and kept the cfl type. i chose to go with the cool white but only in rooms and areas where i dont sit still for too long ie the hall and unused rooms.
    ive also had cool white up beside warm white and i prefere the cool, i think it gives a better colour rendering and seems a bit crisper, i understand why ppl mostly go with warm white because its a bit more like incandesant

Advertisement