Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding time to read?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    New to this forum. I love reading sci fi and fantasy but with college taking up a lot of my time I'm finding it hard to read as much anymore. Just wondering when you guys manage to get the time to get some good reading in. At night? During the day? etc
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

You might be beter off in the literature forum in terms of reading.

I read a bit at night before sleeping. But I find it hard to set aside 'reading time' nowadays. It also effects my choice of books I tend to pick books which are gripping and I will want to read rather than force myself to read anymore (hence why I've not read Dune... I was forcing myself to and so stopped) whereas I like Jeffrey Deaver who grabs you by chapter 1. I usually give a novel 'til chapter 5 and if I dont care about the characters I usually stop by then, thankfully it doesn't happen that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ah - its a massive problem for as well.

I used to read allot but havent done so im many years because i cant just read a page or a chapter. Many a time ive started a book and just stayed awake will it was finished (ie skip school and once work) not do anything till its finished.

Its allot like TV shows - watching a entire show from ep till the end its very hard to stop but i find as it gets past the 3am marker my eyes start to get sore and then you remember work in a few hours but with a book - my eyes dont get sore and i just dont stop, if i brought the book in i would barley do any work and just read most of the day.

For that reason i stopped reading books, as well as they they take allot of time out of your life as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

If I'm really into a book I usually find the time to read it - even if it means missing out on other more important things...

Reading is often what I do to relax in my down time, especially if spend a while being so busy doing other things that I feel I can hardly breath, I like to take an evening just reading. Or sometimes I could read all weekend, if a book is really good... (no time for tv - there's no ad breaks in books!)

If all else fails though I always get a good 45 mins reading on the dart in the way in and out of work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I take time always before sleeping, but try and cut out some other time in the evening too, aside from my other hobbies. I'm doing pretty well - looking at my own logs, I've coverd about 50 books since last September. Given that Sci-fi and (in particular) fantasy tend towards high page count, I'm obviously making headway.
    Rough rule of thumb for me: I haven't taken longer than 2 weeks to finish a book since my holidays in September and that includes even the 900 page ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Me too for at night in bed. I cant get to sleep if I dont have something to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Thanks for the replies! Always interesting to see how other people do things. Yeah I remember a few years back staying up all night to get through a good book :P
    I try to set aside some time for reading any spare chance I get aswell as some time before I sleep but lately I find most nights by the time I get round to it my eyes are already closing. Nothing worse than reading when you're tired and not absorbing any of the information. Much like Ixoy I hate when it takes me longer than a fortnight to get through a book so I tend to be very criticial with what I choose to read to make sure the story will keep me interested.
    I re-read the book of words trilogy last month, which I fairly zipped through.
    Now, after a long hiatus of about 2 years I want to return to the Wheel of Time series from the beginning as my next literary adventure. Meeting that with equal shares of joy and dread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I also mainly read before bed, only nights I wouldn't read would be those nights where I'm hammered, and sometimes I try even then (though I have to re-read it the next day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I sometimes get reading in before bed but once I can't remember the last sentance I stop and get some sleep. I've found it easier to get up a little earlier in the mornings and put in some read time then. I can concentrate on the book and get through more pages I just have to have a point when I stop and head to work/eat breakfast. If you take a bus or train then you should plenty of time to read! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah its a shame I don't commute becuase it would be an ideal time. I used to travel home each weekend on the train. 6+ hrs train journey meant tonnes of time to get it in!:D
    Mostly read on my lunchbreaks these days if I can find the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

I read about 100 books a year and have done for over 15 years. In the past I would always have a book with me, that way when you have time you can bring out the book and read a few pages.
    I read reasonably fast and have done since I was in my teens.

These days I have a Palm lifedrive, and I store about 20 books on it (and constantly update the books on it). Because it is so small (fits in a pocket), I carry it with me everywhere, this means I can read a book while waiting in a q, or in a waiting room.
    I get my best reading done during the evenings and before bed.

s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I get a lot of reading done on the train. If I exclude the internet I get even more reading done. For example if I'm having lunch I will begin reading or when going to bed, usually reading from 0.40-1.15.

Advertisement