Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Boards.ie still need Subscribers to keep itself going?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering, does Boards.ie still need the Subscriptions from users to remain a going concern.

My reading of the situation, a few years ago when I began subscribing, was that the little money I did pay towards the site was for general upkeep of the servers and things like that, hosting fees, etc.

Now that Daft have come in with the moolah, does the fifty quid, or a fiver a month, or whatever, just pale into insignificance when stood beside the money put in by Daft?

Could Boards.ie survive without the Subscription money now, or would there be a huge hole created if all Subs just stopped paying?

I am not looking for a refund on my recently recurred subscription, nor am I looking for an "out".

I'm just wondering, and have been for a while.

Thanks

Des
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Every penny counts Des!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Without being privvy to the accounts, I would just hope that if the subscriber's money was not actually needed, that it would be used towards providing subscriber perks, such as the email and perhaps webspace or whatever.

Though what Ber says :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I presume the plan would be to offer better perks in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hooker and coke money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

find m.boards a very handy addition and sure it must be handy to have money in a paypal account to buy hardware and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Do we "need" it? Not immediately no. When I say that I mean, we will still be able to pay Ross this month without it :)

But... the more we are self sufficient, the less we have to "put up with" the commericial aspects of the Real World.

We simply wouldnt be here without Ross, practically every day he keeps the site on the air with some patch or plaster, so we (the communiites) need him. He cant pay his rent with the free exchange of good ideas, he needs cash.

Ok, so we have a bundle of cash from Daft, but thats not a magic money tree either, it will run out (especially with new hires). Self-sustainability is important for INDEFINITE existance or else we will have to keep selling bits of Boards LTD to make ends meet. I want to build a "Boards" that can still be here 20 years from now, still powering itself.

We have no plans to seek investment again by the way; I guess it could happen but not for the forseeable future.

So is it "necessary".. yes in the long run it is and as a demonstration of our thinking on "subscriptions" we take the ads off for them to indicate that we arent blind to the support.

Frankly, I dont think we do a good job for the subscribers and its something the Commans will be looking at in due course. Thankfully a lot of subscribers seem to view it as a "way of giving back" which is nice because I'm not sure its really worth the price at the moment :):)

DeV.

If wages are paid from it ,are the subscriptions taxable at boards end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

DeVore wrote: »
    Frankly, I dont think we do a good job for the subscribers and its something the Commans will be looking at in due course. Thankfully a lot of subscribers seem to view it as a "way of giving back" which is nice because I'm not sure its really worth the price at the moment :):)

DeV.

I'll keep subscribing as long as I use this place but of course extra features (I dont know what though) would be nice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think the subscribers should perhaps get more but surely any money helps towards boards.ie, some sites like somethingawful.com look for a $10 fee from all new sign ups and if you get banned (which happens easily on SA) then you have to pay it again.

Makes them lots of money but wouldn't work here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

For all I get out if this site, fifty quid a year is well worth it.

Thanks for the answer DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Des wrote: »
    For all I get out if this site, fifty quid a year is well worth it.

Thanks for the answer DeV.

I agree. Thats why im going to subscribe.....

....Soon

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So where is my refund going to be paid to? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Frankly, I dont think we do a good job for the subscribers and its something the Commans will be looking at in due course.

Did anyone else read that as conmans? :eek:

Well worth the €50, IMHO.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

PS: We'll be explaining the C.M's to everyone just as soon as we get them in and working and settled. Not to mention unburied from the pile of work that they are facing.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

No, it's not, but I really consider it more of a donation than a subscription. Only thing I really use it for is the customised avatar.
    PS: We'll be explaining the C.M's to everyone just as soon as we get them in and working and settled. Not to mention unburied from the pile of work that they are facing.

I see they have their own drop box already. Gotta get me one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How about Subscribers get the right to photoshop CM's pics as they see fit? :D

Meh, I subscribed to change my name. I will continue it out of a love of blowing away my hard earned case(hence the snyper donations). I reckon the name change alone would pull in plenty of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I just see it as a way of giving something back and I'll probably make it back by something in bargain alerts during the course of the year, but it would be nice to have a couple of added features, like maybe subscribers can give karma or extra thanks something small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

humanji wrote: »
    Hooker and coke money?

Hookers and coke must surely be in the bargain bin of boards sayings along with Yore Ma, at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Earthhorse wrote: »
    No, it's not, but I really consider it more of a donation than a subscription.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

stovelid wrote: »
    Hookers and coke must surely be in the bargain bin of boards sayings along with Yore Ma, at this stage?

Ah, the innocence of the non-mod. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I've never liked the subscriber concept. Mainly do to the attitude that if you're not a subscriber, you don't contribute as much to the site and therefore you're a less valued user.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, that's just you Boston :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Its because I'm beautiful, isn't it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That's one reason...

subscriptions on boards are one of the least intrusive I've ever seen on a site that accepts them.

Thats probably the main reason why I started ,I'm only on my third one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

we take the ads off for them to indicate that we arent blind to the support.

Just want to say thanks for this. On my desktop the ads wouldn't bother me but when using my netbook even the smallest of ads takes up a valuable amount of screen space.

Just want to say thanks for this. On my desktop the ads wouldn't bother me but when using my netbook even the smallest of ads takes up a valuable amount of screen space.

+2Billion.

Don't have to look at the fianna fail ads, thank god:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's actually never occurred to me to turn the ads off, which is a measure of how unobtrusive they are compared to other sites.

Zaph wrote: »
    It's actually never occurred to me to turn the ads off, which is a measure of how unobtrusive they are compared to other sites.

Never had trouble with the ads myself ,until the fianna fail ones. They're very intrusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Never had trouble with the ads myself ,until the fianna fail ones. They're very intrusive.

Actually you're right, they're very annoying and should be toned down a bit

Advertisement