Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Boards.ie still need Subscribers to keep itself going?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

DeVore wrote: »
    Frankly, I dont think we do a good job for the subscribers and its something the Commans will be looking at in due course. Thankfully a lot of subscribers seem to view it as a "way of giving back" which is nice because I'm not sure its really worth the price at the moment :):)

DeV.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    No, it's not, but I really consider it more of a donation than a subscription. Only thing I really use it for is the customised avatar.

YEP, it's a way of giving something back, a fiver a month isn't much for what I get back.
    Meh, I subscribed to change my name.

Same here, personal note, due change again.
    Just want to say thanks for this. On my desktop the ads wouldn't bother me but when using my netbook even the smallest of ads takes up a valuable amount of screen space.

I used adblock before so not the reason I subscribed. Notice how I didn't put that below Devs reply! Actually reason I used it was I was on dial up until a year ago and now on O2, so no proper broadband. Same reason I use Flashblock.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I did have a year's subscription but then I moved to NZ and now get paid in NZ dollars, which might as well be shiny pennies for all they're actually worth. €50 converted to dollars is actually quite a lot (€50 = $126 which is almost my weeks rent!) - so for the moment I'm subscribing in spirit!

I think it's great that we're able to make a contribution and once I start earning proper currency again, I'm in. I'd imagine that donations are always welcome, not matter what changes are made around here. Plus, people who get a lot out of this site will always want to give something back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Further to Watna's post, I'd imagine subs would drop off during the recession. I know it will be a consideration for me, along with reducing the band of my broadband and eating in more. I also expect, as was asked previously, that there must be a tax burden on income from subs.

To the OP, because Boards.ie Ltd is a company, its first duty is to its shareholders. The purpose of any company is earnings, and a smart company will take them where they can - you never know what tomorrow will bring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Never had trouble with the ads myself ,until the fianna fail ones. They're very intrusive.

I've never seen them as I have ads turned off. I do like the idea of the revenue giving us a platform to broadcast our constant stream of incendiary, anti-government rabble though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

stovelid wrote: »
    I've never seen them as I have ads turned off. I do like the idea of the revenue giving us a platform to broadcast our constant stream of incendiary, anti-government rabble though. :D

Yes indeedy , "Boards.ie ,where brick walls come tumbling down!" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

any plans so that we can (or can we now) gift a subscription?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You know... I never thought of that TBH. Thats a bit of a good idea really. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Boston wrote: »
    I've never liked the subscriber concept. Mainly do to the attitude that if you're not a subscriber, you don't contribute as much to the site and therefore you're a less valued user.

I contribute in the form of spider drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I will never ever give money to this site. I'd rather spend it on skittlez.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I like to think of it as our own special "Thank You" button.My subscription is up for renewal at the end of March and I will definitely be subscribing again.
    This time for a year, the recession can take a hike.:D

I get so much enjoyment from boards and also appreciate the knowledge of certain posters.
    All in all this is a great place to be , and I intend to be around as long as the site is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

tbh wrote: »

DeV.

They do it on fark.com quite successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Boston wrote: »
    I've never liked the subscriber concept. Mainly do to the attitude that if you're not a subscriber, you don't contribute as much to the site and therefore you're a less valued user.
    Seriously though, Boston, who the hell thinks like that?
    tbh wrote: »

DeV.
    It is, actually. I've paid a sub as a birthday present for someone for the last couple of years, and it's just messy with having to give temp. access to my PayPal account etc. Would be much easier if there was a place to put in an additional username when I'm renewing my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

as a demonstration of our thinking on "subscriptions" we take the ads off for them to indicate that we arent blind to the support.

Should I not be seeing ads so?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,351 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seen as Dev is keeping an eye on this thread and there is talk of the wonderful goodies subscribers get, I reckon it's as good a place as any to request that this thread gets some attention:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165779&page=4

Vexorg used to look after it I reckon! Cheers. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

homah_7ft wrote: »
    Should I not be seeing ads so?
    You can turn off the ads if you are a subscriber. You can leave them on as well though. To turn the off go here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions) and go to thread display options. In there you will see an option to remove banner ads.

Advertisement