Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle V Man Utd [Match Thread] Wed 4th 7:45pm

• 03-03-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭

Don't think this one is on TV. :confused:

In times past this would have been clash of the titans. I remember in a college pub watching Cantona score while Utd somehow held on to win 1-0 and Newcastle absolutely hammering Utd by 5 or 6 one year. Utd scoring a good 4 or 5 another year.

hopefully from a Utd standpoint Fergie puts out a strong 11 because even though Newcastle are not in a good position it can be an intimidating atmosphere especially for an evening kick off.

If Utd were to get past Inter wracking up league points now will allow them to take liberties with team selection for league matches later. I'm going to a 1-0 win, ronaldo penno. Not even sure if he will play but hopefully he will and be rested on Sat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

They should have a strong enough side with Carrick, Berbatov Van der Sar and Rooney rested on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

I remember when this fixture was big alright ... but now its a more of a case will Utd slip up and gift NewCastle a point or more. After watching them against bolton even if Utd were to try and gift them a point, they would find a way to throw it away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

smog wrote: »
    After watching them against bolton even if Utd were to try and gift them a point, they would find a way to throw it away

That was some bad match,2 hopeless teams.
    Either side could barely string 3 passes together.
    You'd see better down your local park on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

paddyb125 wrote: »
    They should have a strong enough side with Carrick, Berbatov Van der Sar and Rooney rested on Sunday.

Add Fletcher and Park to that list. I'd go with

VDS
    --Neville---Vidic
    Rio
    Evra--
    -Ronaldo--Carrick---Fletcher--Park--

Rooney----Berba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

United nearly always create loads of chances against Newcastle and without Given, I see them winning this one by 3 or 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

yerayeah wrote: »
    United nearly always create loads of chances against Newcastle and without Given, I see them winning this one by 3 or 4.

given is out?!

i heard on ssn today that duff and butt are out but didnt hear anything about shay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

He may play for man city instead!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

With the players who didn't take part on Sunday coming back into the side the only issue of tiredness should be in our defense and Ronaldo.

With the FA Cup this weekend I think we will see a full strength team tomorrow and any resting being done at the weekend. This should be especially possible in defense where we will be coming up against a rather crap/blunt attack in Fulhams.

VDS
    Neville--Rio
    Vidic----Evra
    Flecther--Carrick----
    Park
    Ronaldo
    ----Rooney----Bebratov---

In that team we only have four players who were involved on Sunday (Rio, Vidic, Evra, and Ronaldo) only three played the full game (Rio, Evra, Ronaldo).

All three could potentially be rested at the weekend if needs must and if the game is going well tomorrow I can see Evra and Ronaldo getting subbed early on.

9 wins required should be 8 after tomorrow,*

Could be less depending on Chelsea's and Liverpool's results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

given is out?!

i heard on ssn today that duff and butt are out but didnt hear anything about shay!
    Joke...? Surely...? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not looking forward to this at all. If we can't even play well against Bolton then we're surely not going to play well against a far more superior team like United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Man Utd are in for a shock tomorrow night. The Mags are gonna be up for this one, make no mistake, and we can beat anyone in our own back yard when Martins and co. are up for it. I have a feeling some of ''United's'' players might just let a bit complacency slip in now, with a trophy already in the bag, the league all but wrapped up, and one eye on Inter.

Also, Newcastle have to win! At least that's what they should be thinking. They got a deserved point at Old Trafford earlier on this season and I'm going for a 2-1 home win this time. Far stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I just love, love, playing Newcastle. One of the few teams I really enjoy United carving apart, not least because it happens so often. Without Given in the sticks, and their dodgy dodgy defending, I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be the trashing United have been threatening to give some team. I shall enjoy this game deeply :)

(p.s. This should also be a great post to quote should United lose)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I must be one of the few cynics here because I'm actually quite concerned about this one. I just fear there might be a bit of a backlash from Sunday's exertions, not so much in a physical sense but mentally. I think United will win it but I don't anticipate it being comfortable. I reckon maybe a 2-1 win. Carrick, Rooney and Berbatov will hopefully prove the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

according to paddypowers website the game is live on a channel called TV Sport 1.

Any one know what this channel is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

according to paddypowers website the game is live on a channel called TV Sport 1.

Any one know what this channel is?

you can find a full list of channels for the match below.

http://liveonsat.com/daily.php

Newcastle V Man Utd ko: 19:45

C+ Sport (Fra)
    C+ Sport 1 (D/F/N/S)
    C+ Sport 2 (Pol)
    ESPN Brazil
    Hi Soccer
    Nova Sports 1 (Hellas)
    NTV+ Sport On-Line
    Pink M
    Premiere Sport Portal
    RTS 2 (Ser)
    Show Sports 1 & 2
    Showtime Magreb (ART)
    Sky Calcio 1
    Sky Sport 3 (Italy)
    Spormax Digiturk
    Sport 1 (Ukr)
    Sport 1.1 (Ned)
    Sport TV1
    SuperSport 3 (DigitAlb)
    SuperSport 5 (ZA)
    Tele Deporte

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I can see Rooney scoring in a 2-0 win. Ferguson stated this morning that if anyone shows signs of thinking that a trophy has already been won, will be dropped. Talk about motivation!

Given did well against United in the past and kept the scoreline down on more than one occasion, so he will be a massive loss. But with less goals per game from United, I do not see a riot by any means. Also, I reckon Ronaldo will play, but will be rested against Fulham.

I'll be delighted with a 1-0 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I must be one of the few cynics here because I'm actually quite concerned about this one. I just fear there might be a bit of a backlash from Sunday's exertions, not so much in a physical sense but mentally. I think United will win it but I don't anticipate it being comfortable. I reckon maybe a 2-1 win. Carrick, Rooney and Berbatov will hopefully prove the difference.

your not the only one

this match has gotten alot harder after the carling cup

bloody 120+ mins for 4 important players

I think utd wills scrape it,but if we draw it wont be the end of the world

at least FA cup is this weekend so could be a rest for a few players

Team news from the bbc... I didn't know the depth of the injury crisis at Newcastle.
    Newcastle midfielder Nicky Butt (knee) is out of his side's clash with former club Manchester United.
    Kevin Nolan is banned, while Damien Duff, Michael Owen, Habib Beye, Danny Guthrie, Joey Barton and Xisco are still injured.
    Wayne Rooney has recovered from a virus and should start for Manchester United.
    Dimitar Berbatov, Edwin van der Sar, Michael Carrick, Park Ji-Sung and Darren Fletcher return, but defender John O'Shea (heel) is a doubt.

Newcastle caretaker boss Chris Hughton:
    "That is a fact, there is no team that's too good to go down.
    "What we have got to make sure we do is have enough character and strength. It just so happens that our next fixture is a very difficult fixture.
    "But it is not just about Manchester United, it's the series of games we have after that."
    Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson:
    "We'll not be falling into any traps.
    "March and April are the key months that will decide the league. I keep saying it, but no one listens.
    "We have lost leads because of bad form in March and April; we have won them by going on fantastic runs. How can we possibly take anything lightly?"

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

Fulham at home in the FA is no easy game for United, if anything tonites game is easier! It will be very difficult to score against Fulham at the cottage.

Fulham at home in the FA is no easy game for United, if anything tonites game is easier! It will be very difficult to score against Fulham at the cottage.

Apart from Ronaldo its our defense that needs the rest. Fulham have the second worst attack in the league going on goals scored so it should be a good opportunity to rest one or two defenders. Also its the FA Cup so we can take the risk of sticking Ronaldo on the bench. Everyone else should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Apart from Ronaldo its our defense that needs the rest. Fulham have the second worst attack in the league going on goals scored so it should be a good opportunity to rest one or two defenders. Also its the FA Cup so we can take the risk of sticking Ronaldo on the bench. Everyone else should be fine.
    I dunno - Rio has been out for a while so shouldn't need to be rested, Vidic sat out most of the carling cup and the Inter game, one other game too recently i think. Evra has missed a good chunk recently through suspension and injury. O'Shea, because of the number of games he has played, and Evans because of his injury, are the only two defenders I see needing a rest.

I dunno - Rio has been out for a while so shouldn't need to be rested, Vidic sat out most of the carling cup and the Inter game, one other game too recently i think. Evra has missed a good chunk recently through suspension and injury. O'Shea, because of the number of games he has played, and Evans because of his injury, are the only two defenders I see needing a rest.

I was just thinking with Rio and Evra after playing 120 minutes on Sunday, and then 90 minutes tonight. I just think we won't have too many more opportunities to give players a break.

Next round of the FA Cup is the semi-finals. Don't want to be resting people at the stage. Especially with Chelsea, Arsenal, and Everton looking like the likely opponents.

You don't really want to be resting players in the league until we catch up on our game in hand and see where we stand then.

Either way Fergie has been impossible to second guess this year. I just think Vidic, Evans, O'Shea and someone at right or left back would be good enough for Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

jaykay74 wrote: »

C+ Sport (Fra)
    C+ Sport 1 (D/F/N/S)
    C+ Sport 2 (Pol)
    ESPN Brazil
    Hi Soccer
    Nova Sports 1 (Hellas)
    NTV+ Sport On-Line
    Pink M
    Premiere Sport Portal
    RTS 2 (Ser)
    Show Sports 1 & 2
    Showtime Magreb (ART)
    Sky Calcio 1
    Sky Sport 3 (Italy)
    Spormax Digiturk
    Sport 1 (Ukr)
    Sport 1.1 (Ned)
    Sport TV1
    SuperSport 3 (DigitAlb)
    SuperSport 5 (ZA)
    Tele Deporte

Quick question is Tele Deporte the Spanish channel or is that a different channel I am thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

roar_ie wrote: »
    Quick question is Tele Deporte the Spanish channel or is that a different channel I am thinking of?

Aye tis the Spanish Channel.

Harper is no Given, but he's no Taibi either lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    He may play for man city instead!?

:rolleyes: :pac:
    Dave! wrote: »
    Joke...? Surely...? :o

yeah well spotted! i thaught i made it a bit more obvious!...obviously not :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

My team if i was the legend that is SAF

VDS

EVANS (thought he did a good job here at RB on sunday after o shea went off)
    FERDINAND
    VIDIC
    EVRA

RONALDO
    CARRICK
    FLETCHER
    PARK

ROONEY
    BERBATOV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm over here for this one. I fear the worst for us tbh. I was here last season when we got served a 5-1 pasting. However, once I make that walk up towards Gallowgate, a small sense of optimism and hope will kick in.

Hughton has to be adventurous for this one. We don't have the players to contain United, so we might as well try and make a go at playing them. Shola has to be dropped. Oba and dukes up top is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

• Advertisement

Charlie wrote: »
    Shola has to be dropped. Oba and dukes up top is a must.

Surely Hughton realises how terrible we are when Ameobi is playing. He needs to wake up and realise that Dukes is much better than Ameobi ever will be. Sure he doesn't score a ton of goals but he holds the ball up well which is important because we don't get very many midfielders tearing into the box.

We need to concentrate and put up a very good performance in front of our fans. We need to put that poor display against Bolton behind us and focus on tonight's game. Vital that we try at least get something out of this match.

TOON TOON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Any odds on a free kick being scored?

RasTa wrote: »
    Any odds on a free kick being scored?

www.paddypower.com might have something. They seem to have random bets left, right and centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

How much more interesting would it make things at the top of the table if Newcastle did get a win?

Especially when you consider both teams recent form - Man Utd have won all but one of the last 13 in all competitions, losing just one of 28 games while Newscastle failed to win eight of the last nine Premier League games.

It would surely go down as the shock result of the season.

Midfield has to be a major worry for Newcastle with Barton, Butt, Guthrie and Nolan all out. That's the four best central midfielders in the squad out. With a squad like Newcastle's where there is not a lot in terms of strength in depth in the midfield to start with, that's a huge blow. Newcastle will more than likely be playing their fifth and six choice central midfielders in a game against Utd. Massive massive ask imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

jaykay74 wrote: »

C+ Sport (Fra)
    C+ Sport 1 (D/F/N/S)
    C+ Sport 2 (Pol)
    ESPN Brazil
    Hi Soccer
    Nova Sports 1 (Hellas)
    NTV+ Sport On-Line
    Pink M
    Premiere Sport Portal
    RTS 2 (Ser)
    Show Sports 1 & 2
    Showtime Magreb (ART)
    Sky Calcio 1
    Sky Sport 3 (Italy)
    Spormax Digiturk
    Sport 1 (Ukr)
    Sport 1.1 (Ned)
    Sport TV1
    SuperSport 3 (DigitAlb)
    SuperSport 5 (ZA)
    Tele Deporte

That list is not accurate I can say as I am in Spain and the match is not on TeleDeporte as it says on the above list.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Team news

MUTV:

VDS

O'Shea
    Fedinand
    Vidic
    Evra

Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    Park

Rooney
    Berbatov

Subs:

Foster Ecklseley Evans Anderson Scholes Giggs Tevez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Team news

MUTV:

VDS

O'Shea
    Fedinand
    Vidic
    Evra

Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    Park

Rooney
    Berbatov

Subs:

Foster,Ecklseley,Evans,Anderson,Scholes,Giggs,Tevez

not surprised at evans missing out, he looked knackered on sunday. Strong team! Surprised fabio not there again and no tosic either, would have expected at least one and scholes to be rested fully

Team is pretty much as expected.

Only surprise to me is O'Shea playing ahead of Neville. Thought Neville might have been brought in for this one.

Skud wrote: »
    not surprised at evans missing out, he looked knackered on sunday. Strong team! Surprised fabio not there again and no tosic either, would have expected at least one and scholes to be rested fully

I like the team. plenty of options as well on the bench if Utd need to change the game.

Skud wrote: »
    ....and no tosic either, would have expected at least one and scholes to be rested fully

Meant to have been terrible lately in the reserves

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

will be a tough game imo. Newcastle will make a game of it and a few of our players will be nackered for it. Ronaldo would be the main guy i'd worry about.

Should have Rooney rested and raring to go so that is one positive, Carrick and Giggs or Fletcher, i imagine, will be the starting CMs, probably with Park on one of the wings. I'm not sure if Ronnie will start, I think he will and then be rested for the Fulham game in the cup, or put on the bench anyway.

Vidic will come back in to defence and I would say Rio will be grand to play again. Evra will need to play again too. O'Shea for RB again? Probably imo. VDS back in goals.

Overall, I think Fergie will have to manage the appearances of Ronadlo and Evra in particular over the next two games, with must win Inter game on the horizon.

Well, pretty much bang on with what i thought the line up would be. Quite predictable this evening.

Hopefully they go on to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Trilla wrote: »
    Meant to have been terrible lately in the reserves

ya i know but if the game is comfortable would be good time to ease him into the first team and prep him for next season. I guess he nowhere near ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

redout wrote: »
    That list is not accurate I can say as I am in Spain and the match is not on TeleDeporte as it says on the above list.

I stand corrected it is on Tele Deporte. The paper says its not but the internet says it is so sweet for me :D no crappy stream required :D

redout wrote: »
    I stand corrected it is on Tele Deporte. The paper says its not but the internet says it is so sweet for me :D no crappy stream required :D

the internet is never wrong ;)

Newcastle: Harper, Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Bassong, Jose Enrique, Lovenkrands, Ryan Taylor, Geremi, Gutierrez, Martins, Smith. Subs: Krul, Cacapa, Butt, Ameobi, Edgar, LuaLua, Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Very strong team indeed :)
    About Tosic, didn't Fergie say that he hadn't intended to play him first team until April or something? Maybe I imagined that, but I guess we should reserve judgement until he's had a fair bit of match time. Berba didn't take too long, but it certainly wasn't instant!
    And what's the story with the other guy, Ljalic or something?
    I predict... 0-3 :)

ninja.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newcastle to thrash Utd? Exellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

doonothing wrote: »
    About Tosic, didn't Fergie say that he hadn't intended to play him first team until April or something? Maybe I imagined that, but I guess we should reserve judgement until he's had a fair bit of match time. Berba didn't take too long, but it certainly wasn't instant!
    I predict... 3-0 :)

He will be in Partizan until next January then will join us.

doonothing wrote: »
    I predict... 3-0 :)

Ljalic won't be coming to Manchester until Jan.

Tosic was not supposed to involved until March but I'm not sure he has made the progress in that time that they would have hoped for. I think it will be next season before we see him again unless there are some meaningless league games at the end of the season.

Also Tosic and Berb are two completely different cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Ljajic is doing very well at Partizan from what I hear too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement