Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle V Man Utd [Match Thread] Wed 4th 7:45pm

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'd bring on Anderson for Fletcher. Need fresh legs in the centre I think to stifle this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

ah bollox there goes rooney's confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Great run from Ronaldo to make that ball there - great desire to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Pro. F wrote: »
    ah bollox there goes rooney's confidence.

lol, true

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Park has been fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭D/C

Would love another goal!

Anyone else see that Inter are losing 3 nil to Sampdoria in the italian cup with a pretty strong team out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Haven't looked the best defensively tonight! Look quite dodgy really, VDS's early blunder can't have helped at all, will be relieved if we hold on to this tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Giggs getting ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

god the setanta commentators are dreadful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Giggs on for Berbatov for the last few.

• Advertisement

The Newcastle fans were booing but that was Berbatov jogging off the pitch :D

silly play by Jonas. 90 seconds left

Edit

Giggs and Evra with 2 world class tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Game over.

7pts clear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

delighted with that win, absolutely delighted. As tough as i expected it to be - could have been made easier if the ref had made the correct calls in United favour, but we got the win anyway so happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

2-1, game over. Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

that'll do that'll do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

8 more required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I must be one of the few cynics here because I'm actually quite concerned about this one. I just fear there might be a bit of a backlash from Sunday's exertions, not so much in a physical sense but mentally. I think United will win it but I don't anticipate it being comfortable. I reckon maybe a 2-1 win. Carrick, Rooney and Berbatov will hopefully prove the difference.

Damn, I'm good.

Very good win this one. It had the makings of a banana skin but the team came through it well.

Let's go Fergie, keep the title march going!

ntlbell wrote: »
    that'll do that'll do

Only just...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

GWAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

An File wrote: »
    Only just...

Only just pig, only just:D

phew that was a bit worrying towards the end.

Good result. Acceptable performance.
    I still think we can't control a game / kill off a game with out Scholes in the midfield.

Rooney, Park, Berbatov and Ronaldo all looked in good form. Back four were ok except for VDS. But he did fine towards the end and I'd say he'll be able to put it all behind him in the next games.

ps the commentary wasn't awful from setanta for a change!

ps the commentary wasn't awful from setanta for a change!

It wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good either!

I wouldn't mind seeing Foster get a chance in some of the remaining league games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

3 points in the bag job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good win in a tough match. Gifted the winner, but were much the better side once the noses were infront.

Martins ran his socks off tonight for Newcastle.

An File wrote: »
    It wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good either!

I wouldn't mind seeing Foster get a chance in some of the remaining league games.
    I'd select him in the FA Cup, but i don't really like the idea of swapping keepers round for no real reason, don't think it is good for the team/defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

manucho scores for hull too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Even though we lost I am very proud to be supporting the Toon right now. Although we're in one of the tightest relegation battles in years we performed exceptionally well tonight and managed to beat VDS' record of clean sheets.

TOON TOON

• Advertisement

I'd select him in the FA Cup, but i don't really like the idea of swapping keepers round for no real reason, don't think it is good for the team/defence.

It's a pity that we haven't had that many games where we've gone well clear with plenty of time. He could be brought on in that situation with 20mins to go. That would help him a bit and not disrupt the defence.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Even though we lost I am very proud to be supporting the Toon right now. Although we're in one of the tightest relegation battles in years we performed exceptionally well tonight and managed to beat VDS' record of clean sheets.

TOON TOON

Ye, fair play to Newcastle United that was a great performance considering the players they're missing and all that's going on. A draw wouldn't have been unreasonable.

It's a pity that we haven't had that many games where we've gone well clear with plenty of time. He could be brought on in that situation with 20mins to go. That would help him a bit and not disrupt the defence.

Again, i'd prefer outfielders to be brought off where possible - much more important to keep them rested imo.

Very tough to 'blood' a keeper. I think Fergie will have to make a decision before the start of next season - either sell Foster or give him the starting spot at the start of the season.

Very tough to 'blood' a keeper.

too true
    Hopefully whatever happens it gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

too true
    Hopefully whatever happens it gets sorted soon.

I think the fulham match will tell alot tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1-2? What sort of total football result is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good win in a tough match. Gifted the winner, but were much the better side once the noses were infront.

Martins ran his socks off tonight for Newcastle.

No he fcuking didn't. I wanted to jump on to the pitch and give him a boot up the hole. He went seriously missing for a large part of that game. There were times spidey was making superb runs, and Martins did fcuk all to create a option for him.
    That_Guy wrote: »

TOON TOON

Good performance, but we we're still very wasteful at times with our passing. Cloggers like Geremi and Smith have no place in this side. On the other hand, Enrique was class tonight and seems to be growing in confidence, and Bass put in another excellent shift.

I thought United we're quite poor tonight. Defesnively they looked suspect at times, and players like Ronaldo and Berbatov rarely posed a threat. Midfield I thought yis we're weak as well, as our midfield pairing of Smith and Geremi is there for the raping.

Still, your obvious class shone through.

The atmosphere tonight was superb, the best in a long while since i've been coming to SJP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oh yes

Oh FÚCKING yes! Get in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Charlie wrote: »
    No he fcuking didn't. I wanted to jump on to the pitch and give him a boot up the hole. He went seriously missing for a large part of that game. There were times spidey was making superb runs, and Martins did fcuk all to create a option for him.

Good performance, but we we're still very wasteful at times with our passing. Cloggers like Geremi and Smith have no place in this side. On the other hand, Enrique was class tonight and seems to be growing in confidence, and Bass put in another excellent shift.

I thought United we're quite poor tonight. Defesnively they looked suspect at times, and players like Ronaldo and Berbatov rarely posed a threat. Midfield I thought yis we're weak as well, as our midfield pairing of Smith and Geremi is there for the raping.

Still, your obvious class shone through.

The atmosphere tonight was superb, the best in a long while since i've been coming to SJP.
    I wish I'd been there, even though we lost. Was at the 2-2 game against them on New Year's Day 07 when the atmosphere was absolutely electric. Am feeling very deflated by the result, really hate losing to them when we play well. Now I have to put up with more sh1te from my "United" friends that have never known anything but success. What it must be like to be a Red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not a vintage performance from United, but credit they took an hit early on and got the job done.

I agree'd with a couple of posters before the match that this game could be a potential banana skin, United winning titles usually lose 4-5 a season, they have only lost 2 this year although drawing 5, at this stage last year they had lost 4 and drawn 4.

A clean sweep of all trophies would be a magnificant achievement, but I don't think it is possible, I would not be overly upset if Fulham got through at the weekend, If we win the Scouse match thats the league in the bag, Ferguson could go full on to win the CL if they dispatch Inter next week.

On Newcastle I thought they played with alot of passion, Hughton talking before the match said there was no way they could match all Uniteds strengths or even prepare for the game properly as he didn't know what side Ferguson would put out, he did say they could match them for urgency and tempo which at times I think they did last night.

Hull next week is a 6 pointer for Newcastle, lose that and they could well get sucked into the bottom 3, Boro V Pompey is a massive game for them too.

All in all a good night for United, 7 clear with a game in hand, 3 tough games in the next 9 days, 1 loss, 1 win and 1 draw would do me.

I would no longer say winning the liverpool game puts the league in the bag - Chelsea are the side on the up at the moment, though beating liverpool would be one of our more losable games gone.

As for the clean sweep - i don't think we'll do it. Good chance of a domestic treble, but I think the Inter game could be the end of our European hopes, and if Barcelona can regain form (Iniesta coming back will be a big help in that) they would take some stopping too.

• Advertisement

I would no longer say winning the liverpool game puts the league in the bag - Chelsea are the side on the up at the moment, though beating liverpool would be one of our more losable games gone.

I would agree with you if Chelsea had still to play us like last season.
    but I think the Inter game could be the end of our European hopes,

I think United will hocky Inter by a clear 2-3 goals.

Boggles wrote: »
    I would agree with you if Chelsea had still to play us like last season.

I think United will hocky Inter by a clear 2-3 goals.
    You will agree with me anyway.....LOUD NOISES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

As for the clean sweep - i don't think we'll do it. Good chance of a domestic treble, but I think the Inter game could be the end of our European hopes, and if Barcelona can regain form (Iniesta coming back will be a big help in that) they would take some stopping too.

I think thats the point though. At this point in time we can afford to lose 3 games. Beating Liverpool would be a massive step. Imagine going into the City, Arsenal, and Hull games knowing we can lose all three.

Before anyone points out that we would have to win all our other matches for this to be possible. I know that, but Liverpool and Chelsea have to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I tell ya what, Newcastle were impressive. They really got stuck in, messed up United's rhythem, and did very well defensively (despite the goals). Beyond that, Martins was incredibly impressive, a real live wire. If he can maintain that form, Newcastle will have a real gem on their hands.

That said, the ref was unbelievable. How Taylor wasn't sent off for that tackle on Ronaldo is beyond me. How Martins didn't get even booked, if not sent off, for an elbow on Vidic which really damaged him (you see the swelling at the end of the match?) is beyond me. Felt like every decision was going against us, as if he was trying to even out the game.

Either way, job done. Newcastle surprised me, but we still got through it. 3 big points, and now still on course for the title. The title isn't over yet, but its getting closer. If United can beat Liverpool sat week, Liverpool will be definately out of the title race. But if Liverpool beat United, and then lose to Chelsea, we're only one point ahead. Still a way to go.

PHB wrote: »
    If United can beat Liverpool sat week, Liverpool will be definately out of the title race. But if Liverpool beat United, and then lose to Chelsea, we're only one point ahead. Still a way to go.

Neither team have to play Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh yeh, forgot we already played them, great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Charlie wrote: »

Assuming you were at the game, I'll bow to your more educated perception of his performance. He looked good from what you could make out on screen.

Oh yeh, forgot we already played them, great :)

Not playing Chelsea is massive, we have Arsenal to play, but I think the league will be wrapped up my then, would be nice to beat City at home before that to win the league.

Why are people praising Martins over Gutierrez? Granted Martins caused problems but I thought Gutierrez was by far Newcastles man of the match.

That said, the ref was unbelievable. How Taylor wasn't sent off for that tackle on Ronaldo is beyond me.

Apparently he wasnt even booked for that, it was for another incident!

• Advertisement
Advertisement