Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Attenborough - Closet Athiest

Options
  • 03-03-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Dades comment in another thread brought this to the forefront of my mind. Is David Attenborough actually an athiest? He made some very middle of the road/bordering on theist, statements on Jonathan Ross the other week.

Are athiest just claiming Attenborough the same way theists jumped on einsteins loose use of the word "God"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dades comment in another thread brought this to the forefront of my mind. Is David Attenborough actually an athiest? He made some very middle of the road/bordering on theist, statements on Jonathan Ross the other week.

Are athiest just claiming Attenborough the same way theists jumped on einsteins loose use of the word "God"
    Since he's claimed he's agnostic they can't have him :p

As for Einstein he claimed he was atheist as far as the Christian god went, more in the agnostic camp also than the theist one.

Does it matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

Does it matter that I get the answer - yes
    Does the outcome of that answer matter - no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I was thinking he was a closet theist... Especially since he's getting old. He might actually be hoping for something after death.

Does it matter that I get the answer - yes
    Does the outcome of that answer matter - no
    Why ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Overblood wrote: »
    I was thinking he was a closet theist... Especially since he's getting old. He might actually be hoping for something after death.
    Hoping that doesn't make you a theist - it makes you human.

I'd put Attenborough in the agnostic atheist (yes - both!) camp, myself. He doesn't entertain the gods of any religion but won't rule out the concept of some creative input.

• Advertisement

Overblood wrote: »
    interesting so as you get older you get more theisty :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How on earth did he make ''borderline'' atheist comments on Ross?

He just said that you don't have to believe in creationism to believe that there's a God.

Why ?

Well I've asked the question so it matters that i get the answer, its the same as me asking you are you atheist/theist?

Whatever the answer is wont make much difference to my day to day life but if the question "is Rev Hellfire of boards.ie fame an atheist or a theist?:P" is asked at table quiz or when I'm on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire i'll know the answer.

Is it not a perfectly legitimate question to ask?

How on earth did he make ''borderline'' atheist comments on Ross?

He just said that you don't have to believe in creationism to believe that there's a God.

well he was being asked a direct question about his beliefs and he just sort avoided it with some fence sitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

I'd say its more to do with not wanting to recieve more hatemail for professing a belief that others do not agree with. He'll leave the atheist/theist battle to more intrested people and just keep teaching us what he knows. He's always appeared to me to be a peaceful and warm man, why would he want to leave himself open to resentment and hate. He's made his views clear on numerous occasions before anyway.

• Advertisement

Well I've asked the question so it matters that i get the answer, its the same as me asking you are you atheist/theist?

Whatever the answer is wont make much difference to my day to day life but if the question "is Rev Hellfire of boards.ie fame an atheist or a theist?:P" is asked at table quiz or when I'm on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire i'll know the answer.

Is it not a perfectly legitimate question to ask?
    Absolutely it is a valid one to ask, as much as asking does David Attenborough prefer red cheddar to white cheddar?
    The question I have is there any value in the answer?

Regardless Attenborough it seems has answered the question himself, so it all a bit pointless now :)

there is no particular value, only my own curiosity...well maybe we could give him a yellow star or something just so we know whose side he is on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

He is apparently on the fence and leaning over into the dark side. Satisfied?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

He's becoming more theistic then?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

5uspect wrote: »
    He's becoming more theistic then?

Ba-dum-tisch.

I'd agree with what Dades said (the atheist-agnostic bit). Attenborough is far too clever to completely rule anything out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

interesting so as you get older you get more theisty :)

Haven't you ever heard of deathbed conversions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so nobodies going to comment on his belief in yeti?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If David Attenborough was in charge - you know, of everything - I don't think I'd have a problem with that.

Hurrah for you, David Attenborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think David Attenborough was happy to not put forward a set position on it. Defining himself could only bring him grief. Either way, he's an absolute legend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Pat Kenny asked him on the Late, Late Show about a year ago if he believed in God, and he said something to the effect of 'Yes, I do, and the reason why I do - and you're going to think this is very silly - is because of great music.'

He cited Bach's B Minor Mass and Verdi's Requiem as examples, if I remember right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Pat Kenny asked him on the Late, Late Show about a year ago if he believed in God, and he said something to the effect of 'Yes, I do, and the reason why I do - and you're going to think this is very silly - is because of great music.'

He cited Bach's B Minor Mass and Verdi's Requiem as examples, if I remember right.

I pretty much remember him saying he was agnostic and beautiful music was the reason. He never said explicitly that he believed in God but that when he heard music that it made him stop and think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

After answering the God question on Ross, by delivering his position on what is certainly the most important issue concerning both science and religion, i.e. that it possible to accept evolution as a scientific certainty without rejecting faith, the great man did also go on to say that about god it was impossible to know one way or the other. The comment was partially spoken over by Ross, but clearly audible.

The man is an agnostic.

However, according to Voltaire, " If God didn't exist man would have to create him." As gods do not exist, and as people continue to need to believe in something, I propose we start a campaign to create Sir David Attenborough as the first popularly elected godhead.

Um... source?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If either Attenborough or Stephen Fry are ever in the running for the position of Godhead, I'll renounce my atheism with giddy delight.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Um... source?
    Jonathon Ross was quizzing him on the possibility of us ever finding some new, big, species, and when Bigfoot was mentioned DA suggested there was still intriguing and as yet unexplained evidence for something like it.

Dades wrote: »
    Jonathon Ross was quizzing him on the possibility of us ever finding some new, big, species, and when Bigfoot was mentioned DA suggested there was still intriguing and as yet unexplained evidence for something like it.

(Bear in mind I generally avoid Jonathan Ross so have not seen the interview) So let me guess a comment as simple and throwaway has now become the latest in a long line of things to be taken out of context?

Galvasean wrote: »
    (Bear in mind I generally avoid Jonathan Ross so have not seen the interview) So let me guess a comment as simple and throwaway has now become the latest in a long line of things to be taken out of context?

no it was a fairly direct answer to the question

no it was a fairly direct answer to the question

Maybe I'm missing out on the full picture here but this:

to me is a misrepresentation of this:
    Dades wrote: »

• Advertisement

I suspect his comments on everything were made in the lighthearted (i.e, vacuous) vein of the show.

Advertisement