Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conns Cameras

• 03-03-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this will be picked up by google fairly quickly and anyone googling "Conn's Cameras of 54 Clarendon Street, Dublin 2, Ireland" will have a peek.

With all the talk of 'buying Irish' and 'supporting our own retailers during the recession', I strolled into Conns during lunch to see about buying a 120 film back. Second hand of course. €100 on their website dont you know.. Anyway, I knew full well I could get it cheaper on ebay from the UK from several reputable camera shops that had setup as sellers on the site.

But I thought, support our own and all that. Didn't mind paying slightly over the odds to put money in Irish tills. Their idea of 'negotiating on price' was €15 off the €100 price tag. Even if he'd gone down €25 I would have taken it, but he wouldn't budge off €85. Murmured something along the lines of "I can pick one of these up from the UK for €65 including postage and packing" but he wasn't having it. Thing is, I know full well the thing will be sitting in the display case in there for another 6 months. Seems they'd rather have something shiny for their case rather than money in their tills. Recession? What recession?!?

So, supporting our own retailers is all fine and well, but does your wallet start complaining if you end up paying well over the odds? I [heart] rip off Ireland. Even with the 'current economic climate' it's alive and well. Right, off to ebay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

was/is there any warranty on the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

6 months apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

They didn't choose that name for no reason Rymus :D;)

better that I learned that sooner rather than later then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd pay a bit extra for that 6 month warranty. If you order off EBay and the back is defective you're normally out postage both ways if you want a refund, assuming the sellers actually offer a refund. ETR back I presume or is it SQ ? It doesn't say on the site. Might pop in later on if its an SQ back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I've had a bad experience with Conns years ago that I'll never forgive them for (and will tell all over a pint) so I'm last to defend them but.....

A film-back sitting in a glass case for ages might not work properly and need some work. It can be up to 60 euro to get a back serviced and I'd be thinking that may be an issue.

Next time, negotiate the best price, then the best best price for cash, then the best best best price for it with no warranty ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I was in there on Saturday afternoon and heard a guy having a frank exchange of views with one of the older salesmen - didn't hear much of it until the salesman said in a loud voice "Well if you want to buy it off ebay and get ripped off by some fella in Hong Kong, off you go - but don't come crying to me when it all goes wrong for you! I'm not a bloody charity!" :pac:

I'd pay a bit extra for that 6 month warranty. If you order off EBay and the back is defective you're normally out postage both ways if you want a refund, assuming the sellers actually offer a refund. ETR back I presume or is it SQ ? It doesn't say on the site. Might pop in later on if its an SQ back.

It's an ETR back. I think if you exercise caution with which ebay sellers you choose, you'll generally be ok. Speaking of which, a waist level finder for the bronica just landed on my desk here from an ebay seller. Unpacked it and aside from a couple of fingerprint smudges on the magnifier, it looks brand new! Currently watching auctions on a few backs, so no doubt I'll pick up something cheaper than local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,511 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm no defender of Conn's either, I looked at their prices for several items recently and they were at or near the top of the ladder on price. Against that, they are a local shop and on their website they say that if you buy from them and your camera/lens/flash has to be sent away for repair during it's warranty they will lend you an equivalent piece of kit for free from their loan/hire stock, you won't get that from an eBay retailer and that's probably one reason (along with D2 rent and Irish wage rates) that they are charging more than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Before I continue I just want to point out that I am not employed or affiliated with Conns Cameras in any way.

OP, I think you are being very harsh here. While they are not the cheapest option Conns Camera is a fantastic store.

Just because they wouldn't drop their price down to what you wanted & match e-bay prices and then you come onto a public forum to complain about them is more of a reflection on you rather than Conns.

I have dealt with Conns on many occasions for both hire & purchase of camera equipment and in my experience they are very professional to deal with. Their staff are very knowledgeable and will always take time with a customer and allow you to try out any of their equipment before you buy. And I have never paid "list or website" price, I've always received a discount on my purchases from Conns.

Do you get that kind of service from Ebay?? I think not.

If your Ebay purchase is faulty, will the seller pay for all the postage back and forth?? I think not.

And lets not forget about all the wasted time contacting some Ebay seller in the middle of Khatmando trying to sort out a faulty (or fake in a lot of cases) item.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

keefg wrote: »
    I have dealt with Conns on many occasions for both hire & purchase of camera equipment and in my experience they are very professional to deal with. Their staff are very knowledgeable and will always take time with a customer and allow you to try out any of their equipment before you buy.

I don't think he was questioning their professionalism, besides only a fool would not be professional with a customer who is happy to pay their prices.

He was simply stating the irony of being told, by all and sundry, to support our "own" business when prices are far, far cheaper elsewhere and used his recent trip to Conns as an example.

Personally i agree with him.

Just because they wouldn't drop their price down to what you wanted & match e-bay prices and then you come onto a public forum to complain about them is more of a reflection on you rather than Conns.

Give me a bloody break. A reflection on me? Are you completely detached from reality? I wasn't asking them to 'match' ebay prices. I've already stated that I was willing to pay slightly over the odds to give business to Irish shops.
    Do you get that kind of service from Ebay?? I think not.

Well that would depend on the seller you're dealing with. I've gotten fantastic service from ebay sellers in the past.
    If your Ebay purchase is faulty, will the seller pay for all the postage back and forth?? I think not.

Again, depends on the seller. Some do, some dont.
    And lets not forget about all the wasted time contacting some Ebay seller in the middle of Khatmando trying to sort out a faulty (or fake in a lot of cases) item.

Your attitude towards ebay seems to mirror that of alot of Irish camera retailers. Funny that...

rymus wrote: »
    Your attitude towards ebay seems to mirror that of alot of Irish camera retailers. Funny that...

There is a certain irony in it being practically word for word what another poster overhead being said in Conns by staff alright.

Yeah.. that was a delicious piece of timing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I think in these recessionary times he is treating everyone the same, celeb or commoner. :D
    http://pix.ie/rymus/838814/in/explore/tag/iba09?#Comment354945

Mmmm now thats over.....
    I like one thing about Conn's.....their website!
    It gives me something to use as a RRP for cameras and gear!!
    Then I shop around for the best price...(normally Gunn's) if I am buying from a shop.
    At the moment with pricing structures I am sticking to Shops rather than online but some of the prices in Conn's are 'extravagant' to say the least, thing is they get lots of business so he doesn't have to worry about the experienced/poorer customers.

Dragan wrote: »

He was simply stating the irony of being told, by all and sundry, to support our "own" business when prices are far, far cheaper elsewhere and used his recent trip to Conns as an example.

Which is a fair enough point but he could have just said it was a camera shop without naming them.

To come onto a public forum and slate a company because you don't like their prices in the hope that is it picked up by Google and in turn may lose business for Conns is a pretty sh!tty thing to do.

Everyone and their sister knows that ebay is a lot cheaper than any high street retailer (not just in Dublin).

Conns have done nothing wrong here, I doubt if anyone here knows what their profit margins are and all they did was put a price on an item in the window. They offered a discount to the OP but just because they couldn't come close to the Ebay price then he wasn't happy.

If I owned a store and someone came into to me murmuring that they can buy the product cheaper off Ebay then I would tell them to buy from Ebay then.

I think in these recessionary times he is treating everyone the same, celeb or commoner. :D

Keep making stupid comments on my pix.ie account and you'll get special treatment if you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

so

what % off should I expect if buying there?

keefg - what kind of discounts do you receive?

Keep making stupid comments on my pix.ie account and you'll get special treatment if you want it.
    You going to assault me with your award? :eek:

If I owned a store and someone came into to me murmuring that they can buy the product cheaper off Ebay then I would tell them to buy from Ebay then.

Well it's all good then, as that appears to be what Conn's are doing.

They run their business model as they have choosen to. Walk a few streets in either direction and you will find shops that are selling equipment a lot cheaper.

As such, they are leaving themselves open to clever consumers pointing out their price points are less than desirable for a man on a budget.

• Advertisement

You're only about about .4% as funny as you think you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I'm not a big fan of Conn's cameras but I'm going to defend them against some of the charges being made against them here.

I've bought 2 items from them over the last 2 years where they've been quite fair with regards to the price. When I bought my first DSLR (and still my only DSLR!) I bought it in Conn's
    and the reason was that I'd stated on a previous visit that if they had it in theirstore ahead of anyone else that I'd buy it from them. Come that day, turned out it was €200 more expensive than anywhere else, but
    they matched the price. I would've just walked into Pixels otherwise.

Last summer I decided I wanted an OM lens adapter and it's expensive enough for the Olympus version. £100 or over €150 but as the order had estimated the price at €70 that's what they sold it to me for.

You're only about about .4% as funny as you think you are.
    Funny is when it gets under 'funny' peoples skin.

They run their business model as they have choosen to. Walk a few streets in either direction and you will find shops that are selling equipment a lot cheaper.

Dublin Camera centre on the top of Grafton street is just as expensive as Conn's btw.
    Some of their lens prices are hilarious.

Funny is when it gets under 'funny' peoples skin.

Absolutely. You seem to know everything about being 'funny'

Dublin Camera centre on the top of Grafton street is just as expensive as Conn's btw.
    Some of their lens prices are hilarious.

They charge silly money for film developing too

Duffarama been new to Photography all I know is the digital age. :D

It's an ETR back. I think if you exercise caution with which ebay sellers you choose, you'll generally be ok. Speaking of which, a waist level finder for the bronica just landed on my desk here from an ebay seller. Unpacked it and aside from a couple of fingerprint smudges on the magnifier, it looks brand new! Currently watching auctions on a few backs, so no doubt I'll pick up something cheaper than local.

Yeah I buy almost everything from EBay. My entire bronica outfit was bought on ebay, all of it in exactly the condition as described from quite a few different sellers. I have a policy of just not buying off anyone with less than 99.9% positive ratings :D

I'll happily buy local though If I think I'm getting a good price. I've bought a couple of things in Conns. Last thing I bought was an F4, probably paid a little more for it than I would have on EBay but (particularly in the case of a camera) that 6 months warranty was worth it. And I like the staff there, or at least the couple I've dealt with. In stark contrast to the crummy reception I've had a few other places in the city centre, both in terms of attitude and know-how ...

As such, they are leaving themselves open to clever consumers pointing out their price points are less than desirable for a man on a budget.

Fair point. I know Conns are not the cheapest retailer around as do a lot of people.

I have bought items in Conns not because they were the cheapest but because I was not happy with how I was treated by other retailers.

My gripe here is the OP publicly slating a company and as he puts it, hoping it gets picked up by Google, just because he doesn't like their prices.

I could understand if he went into the store and was treated badly or bought something that was faulty and was unable to exchange it. That sort of bad service should be named & shamed, but if you just don't like a stores prices then buy elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

2700 for the 5dII in conns. 2300 in gunns. Comparing it to pixels and those other places is a bit misleading, even berminghams usually well beats them. I know where I'd advise people to shop.

Barname wrote: »
    so

what % off should I expect if buying there?

repeated due to desire for answers.... come on you pro's

Duffarama been new to Photography all I know is the digital age. :D

I hope you're not implying that I'm some kind of old codger...

I'm new(ish) to this as well but bought a film SLR to help me understand my DSLR and ended up with 3 film cameras!! And many old lenses too

elven wrote: »
    2700 for the 5dII in conns. 2300 in gunns. Comparing it to pixels and those other places is a bit misleading, even berminghams usually well beats them. I know where I'd advise people to shop.
    I paid €2350 for my 5D II in Gunn's as did someone else from boards here whose name escapes me, this was b4 the price rise....But yeah Conn's were sticking to Canon's RRP which tbh is a complete er conn as no-one uses the RRP 'cept as a wee con saying the RRP is bla bla.

bedlam wrote: »
    Gunns are €2550 as of their last shipment unfortunately.
    This is after the price rise that Canon/Nikon ushered in a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

ooh that's a shame. didn't know there was a price rise, thank feck i got mine already!

• Advertisement

Depends on what I have bought/hired. I bought a camcorder there just before Christmas '07 and got about 100 euro off the camera, 20 euro off an extra battery and another tenner off the toplight.

Not massive discounts but welcome all the same, and I was able to spend a lot of time in the store testing loads of cameras before settling on one.

I hire a fair bit of video equipment from Conns for multiple camera shoots and I sometimes get an extra days hire or extra memory cards/tapes thrown in.

This is after the price rise that Canon/Nikon ushered in a few weeks back.

price rise is bullshot, we are getting hit due to weak sterling, the euro has not slid against the Yen

thats the trouble with Nikon and Canon running their ops thru the UK

we get shafted

bedlam wrote: »
    yes hence me clarifying it with 'as of their last shipment'
    Explaining to other users too. :p

price rise is bullshot, we are getting hit due to weak sterling, the euro has not slid against the Yen

thats the trouble with Nikon and Canon running their ops thru the UK

we get shafted
    We are but a lickkle island with lickkle banks with very lickkle money.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Just as a test I picked a fixed lens camera as a test model.
    PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ28

Conns - €489
    http://www.connscameras.ie/flat_areaEQLproductsAMPCategoryIDEQL257_entry.html

Pixmania.ie - €265 (+€13 shipping)
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1517106/art/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz28-black.html

Thats a serious differential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,511 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nikon 50mm 1.8 'nifty fifty'

Jessops GBP 89 (Eur 99)

Conn's Eur 130

================================

Even if you accept the argument that running a local shop is more expensive when you don't have a big mail order business to subsidise the retail operation (as is the case with Jessops and Calumet), I'd like to hear Conn's explanation for this price difference:

Lowepro 200 Slingshot AW

Gunns 90

Conns 110

================================

Q.E.D.

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Just as a test I picked a fixed lens camera as a test model.
    PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ28

Conns - €489
    http://www.connscameras.ie/flat_areaEQLproductsAMPCategoryIDEQL257_entry.html

Pixmania.ie - €265 (+€13 shipping)
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1517106/art/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz28-black.html

Thats a serious differential

NEWSFLASH ! INTERNET CHEAPER THAN RETAIL SHOPS !
    Great point there sparky.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Sorry there genius boy, but the point I was reinforcing was that while it is acceptable enough to charge a bit more in local specialist retailer, 40 + % is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

http://pix.ie/rymus/838814/in/explore/tag/iba09?#Comment354945

Mmmm now thats over.....
    I like one thing about Conn's.....their website!
    It gives me something to use as a RRP for cameras and gear!!
    Then I shop around for the best price...(normally Gunn's) if I am buying from a shop.
    At the moment with pricing structures I am sticking to Shops rather than online but some of the prices in Conn's are 'extravagant' to say the least, thing is they get lots of business so he doesn't have to worry about the experienced/poorer customers.

have a look at www.camera.ie if you want extravagant. Makes Conn's look like Aldi

I added that in a later reply yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭schqually

Slightly off the point here, but I have found that most reputable eBay sellers will pay for return postage if there is a fault with the item. The buyer is covered under distance selling regulations in the UK by this, however it varies from coutry to country and the buyer would be wise to check the seller's return policy before purchasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I have bought items in Conns not because they were the cheapest but because I was not happy with how I was treated by other retailers.

My gripe here is the OP publicly slating a company and as he puts it, hoping it gets picked up by Google, just because he doesn't like their prices.

I could understand if he went into the store and was treated badly or bought something that was faulty and was unable to exchange it. That sort of bad service should be named & shamed, but if you just don't like a stores prices then buy elsewhere.

You weren't treated well by other places? And you were by Conn's? I'm sorry, but the staff I've dealt with in there have been both unintelligent regarding photographic equipment and unfriendly.

See, where this thread will do people benefit is, if for example, they're not aware of how expensive Conn's can be. At least if they read this, they might be more willing to search online for a better deal - Not everyone is fully aware of the bargains out there.

Oh, and most recent experience of Conn's;

Wanting to pick up some fast B&W film, I say, feic it, I'll pop in and see what they have. It was a Sunday and I had time to kill. After asking one of their staff (At the desk by the film... I assumed he know a thing or two) for Delta 3200 in 35mm, I'm told it's not made anymore... He's sure of it, absolutely positive. Shur, didn't Ilford close down with the rest of them, digital is the way forward like. But he thinks he might have HP5 from a few years back in the back room... If I was to go back in, I'd rather he jumped down off of that high horse.

Morbid curiosity brought me in there another day before this looking for Type 55 on the off chance, and some Fuji instant for my 120. Of course, nothing I was looking for was made anymore (In fact, that's true for the 55, but there's still a bit of stock lying about somewhere... I know it, but there's loads of Fuji instant around... LOADS!). Then he tried to sell me a 400D.

Which of course... is exactly what I need.

Because I'm looking for instant film.

Googlers and lurkers, check out Gunns, or go online :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

NEWSFLASH ! INTERNET CHEAPER THAN RETAIL SHOPS !

Newsflash. Sarcasm is claimed to be the lowest from of wit.

landyman wrote: »
    Newsflash. Sarcasm is claimed to be the lowest from of wit.

Snappy comeback. Almost two hours. Is that a personal best ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement