Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple Glazed Windows

Options
  • 03-03-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am currently building a house and got a very good quote for Triple Glazed windows. The house is close to a road and so to reduce noise i am very tempted to buy the triple glazed windows. Also there are 26 windows in total in the house with about 18 north or north east facing.

Do people think they are worth the extra money in regards to noise and obviously insulation benefits, there is €2900 of a difference between the double glazed units with a spacer bar and the triple glazed units?

I would appreciate any replies from people who have either installed triple glazed windows or people who decided to stay away from them.

Thanks, Confused self builder!!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Our house came with 3 glaze windows, yes they are very good at reducing sound and heat loss.
    Ours are made by Elitfonster in Sweden and they came as part of the house package.
    What are the U-values quoted for your windows and what brand are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fordes

thanks for the reply, the U value quoted is 0.7 and i got the window quote from a well know company in co. cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

fordes wrote: »
    Also there are 26 windows in total in the house with about 18 north or north east facing.
    Wow, thats a bit of an oversight. 18 out of 26 on the northbside is not going to be great from a heatloss point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Keep your money in your pocket as there is very little saving to be made in the long term with 3g or none at all. It's not cold enough in Ireland for them. Only 0.3% of the jobs that we have sent out have been 3g. usually the more money then sense types.

As for sound -yes but not better then lamenite glass on both sides---- 8.4 lam/ superspacer/6.4 lam which really breaksup the sound waves

Mellor wrote: »
    Wow, thats a bit of an oversight. 18 out of 26 on the northbside is not going to be great from a heatloss point of view

Unfortunately with planning restrictions thats all i was allowed. Also the site is on a slight incline thats north facing:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

Mellor wrote: »
    frag4 wrote: »
    Keep your money in your pocket as there is very little saving to be made in the long term with 3g or none at all. It's not cold enough in Ireland for them. Only 0.3% of the jobs that we have sent out have been 3g. usually the more money then sense types.

As for sound -yes but not better then lamenite glass on both sides---- 8.4 lam/ superspacer/6.4 lam which really breaksup the sound waves

Apologies to the OP for side-tracking the thread slightly but this is a good question.

I've gone with triple glazed..but are there studies illustrating the benefits (if any) of these units in a temperate maritime climate such as ours versus a central European, N American continental one? And in particular, the north facing versus south facing temperature differentials? Just curious...

Please move out of this thread if inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

thanks for the reply, the U value quoted is 0.7 and i got the window quote from a well know company in co. cork.

Is that 0.7 for the glazing or 0.7 for the window?

sas wrote: »
    Is that 0.7 for the glazing or 0.7 for the window?

It's 0.7 for the glazing i think, i need to check to be honest again with the supplier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Unfortunately with planning restrictions thats all i was allowed. Also the site is on a slight incline thats north facing:(

just shows the serious disconnect/lack of knowledge at the planning stage.

What is disappointing here is that we have no idea what the 2900 relates to as a %.

If the maker is who I think it is I would not do it

u need to have them fitted correctly and AFAIK they are supply only

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You mean the field is on a slope facing north and the site is in that field. Not every field has the capability to become a site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

AFAIK all windows are triple glazed in Sweden as standard - double glazed costs more! (because they have to reset manufacturing machinery)
    The Passive house in Wicklow has triple glazed windows - south facing being the largest.

Its an interesting question fordes. Well worth debating. (Pity you have so many windows on the north and north east elevations - Passive Solar gain is a reality)

Might be worth re-applying for full planning permission and at least try to mirror the house plan - could save alot of money over the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Western_sean

How long would the payback period be? That is how long would it take you to save €2,900 in reduced energy consumption? That would seem to me to be an important factor to take into account when making this decision.

You mean the field is on a slope facing north and the site is in that field. Not every field has the capability to become a site.

Yes the field is sloping to the north and the site is in the field. There is no problem with site and the view makes it definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Hey Fordes,

We are currently in the process of finalising the spec for our self-build. Double v triple glazing was an interesting issue! We have decided to go with double glazing in our house. The most beneficial piece of information I got was that triple glazing is most economical if you have a significant number of south facing windows as the triple glazing captures heat as well as insulates. As our house has run parallel with the road we have 3 south facing windows on the gable end. Therefore we've been advised that we would never justify the extra cost.

On this note, you state that the extra cost is only €2900. I can't understand how it is so low. The prices we were getting were quite different -€2900 sounds too good to be true in my opinion. €2900 is worth considering but the prices we got were no-brainers - we'd never justify the cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

If the company was the large one in the south operating nationwide then I have seen these in pvc.Looked to me like a standard frame with triple glazing added.So my guess (only a guess) is that while the glazing may be 0.7 , I would think that the frames are not that great.Seems like a quick fix to me,stick in a triple glazed unit and advertise 0.7 triple glazed windows which joe soap will jump at.this would also explain the low cost over double glazed.They also seemed a bit too heavy for the hinges/frames that they were fitted to.I would be interested to hear how they bear up in a few years time.So I think people should be careful,don't go for triple glazed unless the frames also have a low u value and be sure the frame is up to the extra weight.

Now not to shoot this company completely,as I believe they also seem to sell wooden triple glazed units,which going by the description are probably imported from a third party.

Also you can't blame them for only quoting the u-value of the glazing,most Irish window companies are doing this.Sure most don't even sell on u-values,they usually just quote argon filled or security as their plus points when selling.

About time there was a proper mandatory rating system introduced and a campaign to highlight the importance of full unit u-values to the public.It seems crazy to have a voluntary rating system on such and important aspect of the build from an energy point of view.It should then become part of the building regs in some way.Sure the better windows may go up in price initially,but with competition in the marked and volume they would soon become affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

In addition to what is posted above, unless the window is fitted properly, with attention to air-tightness and cold bridging as well as good fixings to cover the weight when it opens then its a waste of money.
    IMO the average builder is not fit for purpose' to fit such components so when drafting contract docs ensure you have it allow the window suppliers do the fitting. Some builders wont allow this, they insist on fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

gooner99 wrote: »
    If the company was the large one in the south operating nationwide then I have seen these in pvc.Looked to me like a standard frame with triple glazing added.So my guess (only a guess) is that while the glazing may be 0.7 , I would think that the frames are not that great.Seems like a quick fix to me,stick in a triple glazed unit and advertise 0.7 triple glazed windows which joe soap will jump at.this would also explain the low cost over double glazed.They also seemed a bit too heavy for the hinges/frames that they were fitted to.I would be interested to hear how they bear up in a few years time.So I think people should be careful,don't go for triple glazed unless the frames also have a low u value and be sure the frame is up to the extra weight.

Now not to shoot this company completely,as I believe they also seem to sell wooden triple glazed units,which going by the description are probably imported from a third party.

Also you can't blame them for only quoting the u-value of the glazing,most Irish window companies are doing this.Sure most don't even sell on u-values,they usually just quote argon filled or security as their plus points when selling.

About time there was a proper mandatory rating system introduced and a campaign to highlight the importance of full unit u-values to the public.It seems crazy to have a voluntary rating system on such and important aspect of the build from an energy point of view.It should then become part of the building regs in some way.Sure the better windows may go up in price initially,but with competition in the marked and volume they would soon become affordable.

the above company (if its the one im thinking about) do give the U rating for the 3iple glazed window+frames and provide certificates for BER

as 1.2U

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

An easy way to verify if any windows u-value is what its supposed to be is to ask for a cert from an independent testing body. If the supplier can't provide one youll go back to the default values for your BER and if you say that doesnt worry you as youll never sell then its "caveat emptor..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

gears wrote: »
    An easy way to verify if any windows u-value is what its supposed to be is to ask for a cert from an independent testing body. If the supplier can't provide one youll go back to the default values for your BER and if you say that doesnt worry you as youll never sell then its "caveat emptor..."

exactly

when buying windows push the supplier to provide you with certs

same goes for insulation too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    exactly

when buying windows push the supplier to provide you with certs

same goes for insulation too

I think someone hit the nail in the head earlier; in the next year or 2, your going to see triple glazed as standard. Manufacturing lines will be changed at accomdate. Sweden/Gemany I read are triple glazed as standard. I am getting triple glazed units with a combined frame and glass U value of .8. The quote including garage was 1500 more expensive than the best 2 Quotes for A energy rated double glazed. Its a no brainer to me. What was interesting the munster company in question provided a great quote, but were not as free to reveal the combined u value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

I have recently purchased triple glazed hardwood windows from the company I think you're talking about and I have to say the quality is excellent. The service was also far better than I expected. it's hard to believe but the windows were delivered three weeks after I ordered and they even arrived a day early on site than I was told! I could not fault the company on quality, service and price. I haven't moved into the house yet so I can't comment on the longevity but so far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

I also got a quote from this company for aluclad triple glazed units, the window is a triple glazed window with an aluminium frame added on the outside. So its a heavy unit, but in the house I looked at that had them they looked fine, had been in a few years and no problems showing. What turned me off was:

1. finger jointed finish which I didnt want. Although some people have no preference, and others like the finger jointing as it shows the construction method used. And of course if painted internally this is not an issue

2. U-value of 1.2 - the windows i ended up ordering have insulated frames and a u value of 0.7, with the glass at 0.5 - of course the size and shape of the windows means this u-value that is based on a standard size will not end up at 0.7.

3. A history of airtightness issues from the companies ability to pile em high and sell em cheap. I have heard this has changed but its hard to shake off a reputation when loads of windows have been fitted and loars have been leaky letting air in. Im putting in a HRV so couldnt take this risk.

What I did like about the company was the short lead time, and apparently very good customer service/ no quibble guarantee. My roofer swears by them. And of course the price is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pcooney

soldsold wrote: »
    I also got a quote from this company for aluclad triple glazed units, the window is a triple glazed window with an aluminium frame added on the outside. So its a heavy unit, but in the house I looked at that had them they looked fine, had been in a few years and no problems showing. What turned me off was:

1. finger jointed finish which I didnt want. Although some people have no preference, and others like the finger jointing as it shows the construction method used. And of course if painted internally this is not an issue

2. U-value of 1.2 - the windows i ended up ordering have insulated frames and a u value of 0.7, with the glass at 0.5 - of course the size and shape of the windows means this u-value that is based on a standard size will not end up at 0.7.

3. A history of airtightness issues from the companies ability to pile em high and sell em cheap. I have heard this has changed but its hard to shake off a reputation when loads of windows have been fitted and loars have been leaky letting air in. Im putting in a HRV so couldnt take this risk.

What I did like about the company was the short lead time, and apparently very good customer service/ no quibble guarantee. My roofer swears by them. And of course the price is good.

Can you PM me with details of who you did go with for your windows and what the u-values were as I am also putting in a hrv.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 35 portwest

Can anyone one send a pm of a company with triple glaze aluclad windows with a good u-value, who are competetively priced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

PM sent

soldsold, can you PM me with the details also?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

soldsold, can you PM me with the details also?

me too cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

FYI:

Triple Glazing should cost you approximately an additional €20/m2 to €25/m2 on your windows. The upper price being for 3G safety glass.

But way more important than 2G or 3G is how well your windows are installed, in particular the materials the installers use to extend the insulation in the cavity out to the window.

A well installed double glazed window will be more energy effecient than a badly installed triple glazed one.

None of the PHPP or BER software will take the installation into account ... but your heating bills for the next 20 years will !

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

PM sent

SoldSold - Can you also PM me with the details?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Soldsold - Me too please :D

Advertisement