Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing 5ft fluorescent with new fitting

Options
  • 03-03-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

I have a 5ft and a 4ft fluorescent fitting's in my kitchen and I want to replace them with something more modern. both are hardwired. The new fittings would have to give out the same amount of light approx. Dont want anything mad expensive but low energy if possible. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Are these the main lights are just under counter?

Leds are the most efficient form of light but are more expensive than other energy saving lamps. They normally have to be used as a secondary light source as most of them are not powerful enough yet.

If these are under counter leds would be perfect. They can be got in many types either spots and in rope fittings as two examples.

You could go for a more straight forward option of a GU10 fitting with a energy saving bulb, come in 7,9 or 11 watt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Sid71

No these are the main lights on the ceiling just looking to replace them with smaller compact fittings with the same output

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well 28 Watt 2D circular fittings have a decent output, should cost less than 30 euro, decent output available in 16, 28 and 38W lamps.

Some wholesalers have High frequency versions these don't need a starter and are more efficient when being switched, they also don't have the flickering issue.

If you are looking at something with kick and reasonably low energy I'd recommend at 28W 2D or 38W 2D fitting, many arty types hate them, but I'm on the practical side of things, they are available in decorative models too. The poster Northdublin mentioned a reasonably priced chrome one here before.

However in my house i have 26 W recessed PL down lighters with a flush frosted glass, they do look better, but if you want a one for one change over the 2 D is an option, you'll just have to deal with the different colour ceiling where the long fitting was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i put 28 watt 2d fittings in place of flouresent tubes and had to change them to 55 watts. a 4 and 5 foot flouresent gives out a lot of light and would be hard to replicate with just 2 2d fittings. i would recomend what stoner has allready suggested, the pl downlighters with floating glasses. they are better then just downlighter as they throw light up onto the ceiling which can cancel out some of the shadowing you get with the likes of a 2d fitting.
    i would also suggest some arcitechtural 4 or 5 foot fittings. they are along the same line as you have but there are lots of stylish types that have diffusers that uplight aswell as downlight.
    when you bear in mind that the 5 foot fitting you have is probaly a 58 watt and the 4 foot a 36 watt, a couple of 2d fittings or ordinary downlighters are not going to be up to the job your used to.
    i would suggest you call into a lighting showroom or your nearest electric wholesaler and have a chat.

ps if you could post up a pic of your current light or something your thinking about going for we could advise you further

Advertisement