Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo ring for newbies

Options
  • 03-03-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

The missus and I would like to get tattoo rings (stupid me keeps loosing the wedding bands) and now I've got several questions:

1) Is it or is it not recommended to tattoo the skin where the wedding band would be? Spoke to a tat artist up north and he said he wouldn't do it as we'd end up unhappy about it. Apparently the ink will smudge over time due to the skin flexing and stretching constantly. He said they'd need more frequent touch-ups due to the smudging.

I must say, I've seen tattoo rings before and they've looked quite alright, although I wouldn't know what they'd look like over a longer period and whether the ink does indeed smudge.

2) Is it really more painful to tat the skin on the fingers as there is no muscle to protect the bone (missus has a low pain threshold)?

3) Any recommendations where to go? It's gonna be both our first tattoos so we're looking at a fairly basic design ==> IX·XI·MMV in black. No fuss, no background, etc.

4) What should I expect to pay for something like this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nomad81 wrote: »
    1) Is it or is it not recommended to tattoo the skin where the wedding band would be? Spoke to a tat artist up north and he said he wouldn't do it as we'd end up unhappy about it. Apparently the ink will smudge over time due to the skin flexing and stretching constantly. He said they'd need more frequent touch-ups due to the smudging.

^ This.

The tattoo artist was bang on the money here, it will blur into unclear blobs of colour, particularly on the sides and palm side of the finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nomad81

^ This.

The tattoo artist was bang on the money here, it will blur into unclear blobs of colour, particularly on the sides and palm side of the finger.

Cheers for the quick reply, mate.

Forgot to mention that what I'm thinking of is for the tattoo to only be on the "upper" part of the finger. That is, it should be limited to the portion of skin that is visible whenever you clench your fist.

Would that smudge too?

Yeah, I assumed that is where it would be, in the normal ring location.
    It would smudge/blur, probably quite a lot, and you'd end up with what may look like some of those old "prison" style finger tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

A good friend of mine has one of these done,the artist was right,my friend has his 3 years and its already badly faded and the lines dont look half as sharp as when it was first done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yep, what they all said, but i do know a couple who got the same tattoos on the wrist of their left hands instead of wedding rings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The wrist idea is cool, or if you're set on the finger, how about straight down?
    A few of my mates have script right the way down their fingers, been there years and hasn't smudged.

Have to think, what would your employers think of visable tattoos?

CianRyan wrote: »
    The wrist idea is cool, or if you're set on the finger, how about straight down?
    A few of my mates have script right the way down their fingers, been there years and hasn't smudged.

Have to think, what would your employers think of visable tattoos?

To have it put on from just under the knuckle to before the finger joint sounds to me like a good idea. Can't imagine that the skin there stretches much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It stretches a bit, you can feel it just by putting your finger there and moving your finger.

I guess the best thing to do is to go to a shop and consult with a tattoo artist. Will probably head to that shop near the smithfield luas stop tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

It really doesn't work.

you might get a very simple solid band on the front of the finger below the knuckle.

but certainly not roman numerals. give it 2 years, it will look like a prison tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Getting hand tattoos as your first tattoo ? Are you not worried about work ?

Most people wait until they are pretty heavely tattooed till they go there. In fact a few years ago you would never have found an artist to do it.

But all that aside, tattoo's on the fingers fade and blur quite quick so Id keep the design as simple as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nomad81s

Amigos.
    I was cleaning up my Desktop today, and I found a link to this here Boards.I.E Message Board, and since I had no memory of ever trying to register here, I got a little curious and decided to check things out before deleting the link from my computer.
    Anyway, once I got here at this message board site and once I took a quick look see around the site, I saw that there was a member using the name of "Nomad81." That was interesting to me as my Domain Name is very close to Nomad81's user name. And so this got me interested a bit...
    Of course since our names were so close it seemed to me that the Computer Gods decided to throw us two together etc. Logical or Illogical etc. Who really knows? I mean I think you guys know how all of this works right? I mean someone out there in Internet Land forgets to type in a letter or a number, or adds an extra letter or number etc, etc, – and the next thing you know, someone is Australia is getting an E-mail from someone else in Upper Slovakia. (Wherever that is)
    Still what was even more interesting was the fact that Nomad81 was involved in a message about getting a tattoo. Serious. That is probably what really got me interested in this site, and maybe that’s why I decided to follow thru and register and check things out.
    Point is, I always wanted to get a tattoo but I never did get one. Hmm?
    Actually I am thankful that I didn’t get a tattoo, as I had some crazy ideas back in those days, and I know if I had carried thru on one of my designs, I would have only caused myself a lot of reasons for regret. Still, who knows? Maybe I will get a tattoo one of these days. Hmm? Maybe I will get a tattoo like NOMADS 81s or NOMADS 2/26 etc etc etc.
    SF

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

nomad81s wrote: »
    Amigos.
    I was cleaning up my Desktop today, and I found a link to this here Boards.I.E Message Board, and since I had no memory of ever trying to register here, I got a little curious and decided to check things out before deleting the link from my computer.
    Anyway, once I got here at this message board site and once I took a quick look see around the site, I saw that there was a member using the name of "Nomad81." That was interesting to me as my Domain Name is very close to Nomad81's user name. And so this got me interested a bit...
    Of course since our names were so close it seemed to me that the Computer Gods decided to throw us two together etc. Logical or Illogical etc. Who really knows? I mean I think you guys know how all of this works right? I mean someone out there in Internet Land forgets to type in a letter or a number, or adds an extra letter or number etc, etc, – and the next thing you know, someone is Australia is getting an E-mail from someone else in Upper Slovakia. (Wherever that is)
    Still what was even more interesting was the fact that Nomad81 was involved in a message about getting a tattoo. Serious. That is probably what really got me interested in this site, and maybe that’s why I decided to follow thru and register and check things out.
    Point is, I always wanted to get a tattoo but I never did get one. Hmm?
    Actually I am thankful that I didn’t get a tattoo, as I had some crazy ideas back in those days, and I know if I had carried thru on one of my designs, I would have only caused myself a lot of reasons for regret. Still, who knows? Maybe I will get a tattoo one of these days. Hmm? Maybe I will get a tattoo like NOMADS 81s or NOMADS 2/26 etc etc etc.
    SF

What?! :pac:

Say Again por favor?

SF

Curious about what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Guy finds guy with similar username, posts rambling. I think that's it.

Gauge wrote: »
    Guy finds guy with similar username, posts rambling. I think that's it.

Somthing like that Gauge. But dont worry too much as now that I know it was just one of those computer things, I wont hang around much longer.

Of course if you read my original post you will see that the computer brought me here. Serious. I mean I didnt go looking for this site.

Still, maybe I will stick around just a bit longer to see what happens. Besides I still am not sure how to use this message board. I mean before I leave I should at least try and find out as much as I can about how it all works. Like maybe I will use boards.ie to start my own message board on my own web site later

SF

Advertisement