Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel Band Session

Options
  • 03-03-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey my friend is coming over for the st patricks weekend and i wanted to bring him to see a rebel band. Now if i was in the country side this wouldnt be a problem i think but its not too common in dublin city. I wanna bring him friday or saturday night 13th/14th of march. Does anyone now of any gigs on.

Ps im talking about a rebel band so swearing, shouting offensive session none of this touristy crap you see in supposed "traditional" bars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably better off in Gigs, Traditional or Dublin City. Moved to DC.
    I heard The Celt, Talbot Street had rebel music.
    Maybe check out http://www.stpatricksday.ie/cms/events.html

Hope this was ok DC mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The_Seal wrote: »

Ps im talking about a rebel band so swearing, shouting offensive session none of this touristy crap you see in supposed "traditional" bars

sh*t stirrers is what they should be called, they're nothing but a national embarrassment and they belong in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

O'Donoghues Bar on Merrion Row has a good ballad sessions:

http://www.odonoghues.ie/bar.htm

Peter

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

fryup wrote: »
    sh*t stirrers is what they should be called, they're nothing but a national embarrassment and they belong in the past
    Probably a half decent social/musical critique but what in fcuk has that got to do with the OP?! They're asking a simple question...Where if any.

Seal it's fairly difficult to come across 'rebel' music in the city. Nowadays it's far more arranged in the sticks/'burbs. Certain bands touring different regions. You'd be hard pressed to come across it as a reguar slot in 'the countryside' either.
    There are plenty of decent trad and folk bands in the city but Rebel music has essentially had its day as far as the general populace (country and city) would be concerned.
    As mentioned The Celt would probably come closest in the city centre, although that was blaring Gloria Gaynor when I last walked past.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Darkey Kelly's Bar
    Ph:+353 1 679 6500 +353 1 679 6504
    Email: harding.hotel@usitworld.com
    WWW: http://www.hardinghotel.ie
    Cuisine: Traditional Irish
    Price: N/A
    At the Harding Hotel,
    Copper Alley, Fishamble St,
    Christchurch, Dublin 2

I have been here on many a Sunday with a few brews on me and thought it was a good auld sesh. Not rebel band but will sing a good few rebellious ballads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Dont mind this PC apoligist sh*te,look out for signs around town,Blarney Pilgrims,The Irish Brigade etc,these are all republican orientated bands,who sign old rebel songs with a modern republican twist

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

why does it have to be rebal and not trad?

trad is so much nicer

why does it have to be rebal and not trad?

trad is so much nicer

He said he wants it real griity and hardcore,swearing and the like,he wants to stay away from the touristy trad sh*t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    He said he wants it real griity and hardcore,swearing and the like,he wants to stay away from the touristy trad sh*t

I dont know any rebel songs with swearing..maybe he'd be better off going to a 50-cent gig,he swears lots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Darkey Kelly's Bar
    Ph:+353 1 679 6500 +353 1 679 6504
    Email: harding.hotel@usitworld.com
    WWW: http://www.hardinghotel.ie
    Cuisine: Traditional Irish
    Price: N/A
    At the Harding Hotel,
    Copper Alley, Fishamble St,
    Christchurch, Dublin 2

I have been here on many a Sunday with a few brews on me and thought it was a good auld sesh. Not rebel band but will sing a good few rebellious ballads.

Darkey's is great craic, although with Martin Walsh gone from it and with the newly renovated bar its lost some of its old charm - but a great session none the less.

I've never heard anyone sing 'The Ballad of Joe McDonald' like Anto Mahon.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Darkey's is great craic, although with Martin Walsh gone from it and with the newly renovated bar its lost some of its old charm - but a great session none the less.

I've never heard anyone sing 'The Ballad of Joe McDonald' like Anto Mahon.

You havent heard me sing so,haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    He said he wants it real gritty and hardcore,swearing and the like,he wants to stay away from the touristy trad sh*t

I would say around St Patricks weekend most of the "real gritty and hardcore, swearing and the like" rebel/trad bands would be aimed mainly at tourists.

I cant see too many locals heading out to hear trad/rebel bands on Paddys weekend but I would expect it to be something a lot of tourists would be looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

singin songs that glorify murderers

jasyus so much for the "friendly irish":rolleyes:

and i bet ya most of those guys who sing along support "british" football clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You mean like the guy with the "No to foreign sports" sign who was wearing a Celtic jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

i suppose you prefer the rebel music and traditional irish music where the band play the beatles and elvis, only with a guitar and a whistle...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

The_Seal wrote: »
    Hey my friend is coming over for the st patricks weekend and i wanted to bring him to see a rebel band. Now if i was in the country side this wouldnt be a problem i think but its not too common in dublin city. I wanna bring him friday or saturday night 13th/14th of march. Does anyone now of any gigs on.

ill try to keep you posted i think i know of one coming up but im not sure of the dates, i was at a great session in finglas 2 weeks ago, by celtic storm, great altogether and he didnt hold back.

i think the next one is around the summer hill area of dublin but ill let you know when i do.

there is nothing wrong with remembering our culture and heritage through song, which unfortunitly through no fault of our own was plagued by invasions, land grabs, genocide, and mass emigration. mostly down to our not so friendly neighbours across the water.

philstar wrote: »
    singin songs that glorify murderers

jasyus so much for the "friendly irish":rolleyes:

and i bet ya most of those guys who sing along support "british" football clubs

Leave the moral lessions for another forum, eh?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Mairt wrote: »
    Leave the moral lessions for another forum, eh?.

But the moral lession (sic) you thanked in the previous post is fine?

latenia wrote: »

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The Rubberbandits' take on the genre:

• Advertisement

TomRooney wrote: »
    there is nothing wrong with remembering our culture and heritage through song, which unfortunitly through no fault of our own was plagued by invasions, land grabs, genocide, and mass emigration. mostly down to our not so friendly neighbours across the water.

^

This is the truth, its what happened to our people - our Island.

Yes, to repeat myself.
    The Rubberbandits' take on the genre:

Take a warning for bringing the thread right off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

My friend at work watches Celtic games in the Castle pub in Summerhill.

There is a function there on March 15th with a rebel band (Blarney Pilgrims I think the band are called, though not sure) playing.

Advertisement