Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

portfolio website feedback please?

• 03-03-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hello,

I just finished putting together my website, and I was hoping anyone would be willing to offer some feedback on it for me. I just finished an Msc in Multimedia, just to put me in context. I'm applying for graphic/web design positions in general so if there's anything you think I should leave out/work towards putting in, suggestions would be great. I know the code probably isnt perfect, and Im sure I have a million things wrong that I dont even know about, so sorry in advance.....

The site is here http://www.aparadatairada.com

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Overall, I think you've got potential, but you need to work on some things to get to the level you need to have the best chance at getting a job in this market.

I'd try focus on web or graphic work if possible. If you're going for web (which is my area) then you need to work on your HTML & CSS. Make sure you can write valid code by hand and can turn any design into a proper HTML template. There's work out there for junior designers who are willing to do that type of work. Also, I'd try build up more work in your portfolio. The stuff you have there is a bit generic and quite random. You need to have more websites, or example websites in there, both to sell your skills and improve them. Overall, I think you need to work on many of your basic skills like layout, typography, colour choice in order to keep improving.

Hope that's constructive - all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Hi p,

Thanks very much for taking the time to get back to me. Ill definitely take your advice on board, especially about getting back to the fundamentals, I knew typography was definitely something I needed to work on, and I'll chase up other basics too.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Also, just to add one thing. Use sites like creativeireland.com, stylegala.com, cssbeauty.com to get critiques and look at good examples of design. Developing a critical eye about other's work and your own is key.

Great, thanks a million will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Hi,

Just a few bits.

If you're going to try to offer both web and graphic design type services, I would consider splitting your portfolio section into two, with one section focussing on the graphic elements, and the other on the web design elements. That way, you have more room to display and discuss your work without feeling like the portfolio section is too large.

In terms of the websites, I would consider writing a little blurb about each and displaying a screen shot alongside (which can then link to the url if you desire). A brief explanation of technologies used, highlighting any particularly cool things that the site does as a result of you designing it (e.g. are there forms, do they do anything fancy? Interactive sections? etc.).

The more examples of your work that you have, the better. It allows you to pick and choose the very best of what you've done to display in your portfolio. So to that end, I'd look at getting a few more sites under your belt to display. Maybe local clubs or businesses might be interested in having a website? You could do it at a low cost to them, and use it as a portfolio piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

This recent article from smashing magazine is well worth a read.

10 Steps to the Perfect Portfolio Website

Thanks so much for all the replies, really helpful!

Advertisement