Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog Spawn swap?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi,

following on from another thread here I was wondering does anyone swap frog spawn? The reason I ask is that I took spawn from another garden last year and frogs developed, this year we have our own frog spawn, which means its probably a little inbred!

has anyone done it, is it an idea maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its illegal to move or disturb frogspawn, regardless of where you find it unless its from captive bred frogs (unlikely).

Cease and desist crazy person. ;)

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mustang68

Its illegal to move or disturb frogspawn, regardless of where you find it unless its from captive bred frogs (unlikely).

I don't think my garden constitutes "in the wild" as per the legislation :) and the original frogs we're introduced prior to the 1997 act came into being. So I'd say I'm alright.

That's why I posted the question here, rather than driving to the nearest natural frog hotspot, I was wondering do people swap captive bred spawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Frogs always return to the same pond for breeding so there is little opportunity for genetic diversity. On the negative side you may introduce illnesses & as you know the frog population is being badly affected.

You have probably broken the law but this is Ireland so who cares. Bear in mind that your frogs will need to establish territories & will need huge amounts of food. They will disperce as froglets & then return to your pond to breed so make sure that your garden is not too enclosed.

Actually people taking some wild spawn from Turloughs & ditches that dry out is a good thing if they put it in garden ponds. As a child I used to rear about a hundred froglets every year - needless to say my local frog population was very healthy.

Typically the legislation was written to prevent people from destroying spawn. The result is that children never see tadpoles develope & hence don't give a **** about frogs.

Advertisement