Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting bare root - Escalonia

Options
  • 03-03-2009 5:47pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Meant to be buying the hedging this (300 plants) and sowing it this weekend but the weather has put that the bed.

But anyway, it will be bare root, I need to for A) a shelter/wind breaker & B) for privacy, hedge will be 50ft from the house.

It is a case of poke out/dig a hole, put in a little peat moss & fertilizer and then put the hedge in and put soil around it?

Sorry I know that sounds very basic questions! :)

What fertiliser is best, can I buy a big bag of it?
    How deep of a hole?
    Do I need peat moss at all?
    Do I need weed protector around this?
    Do I need a wind breaker behind the hedge, it has a small wire fence behind it already?

Anything else I might consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I wouldn't bother adding any ferts (add later when season warms up and new growth is evident) and no moss peat (stuff is useless anyway).

Plant bareoots same depth as existing root probably 4"-6" 100mm-150mm.

If you can dig a small trench/channel, poisition plants over channel to ensure you have adequate plants and even spacing. Then proceed to plant, making sure not to plant any deeper than existing root depth, push soil around and heel hard with foot/boot. This method I find quicker and better than making holes.

A windbreak would be useful but escallonia is hardly worth all the bother involved.
    In calculating the number of plants you might require, did you factor in approx 30-50% casualties (failed to take for whatever reason, and rabbits etc)
    Ensure the area is clear of weeds and grass before planting.
    Any particular reason you selected Escallonia?

yop wrote: »
    Meant to be buying the hedging this (300 plants) and sowing it this weekend but the weather has put that the bed.

But anyway, it will be bare root, I need to for A) a shelter/wind breaker & B) for privacy, hedge will be 50ft from the house.

It is a case of poke out/dig a hole, put in a little peat moss & fertilizer and then put the hedge in and put soil around it?

Sorry I know that sounds very basic questions! :)

What fertiliser is best, can I buy a big bag of it?
    How deep of a hole?
    Do I need peat moss at all?
    Do I need weed protector around this?
    Do I need a wind breaker behind the hedge, it has a small wire fence behind it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

yop wrote: »

It's worth noting that Escallonia do not have a great success rate when lifted and planted bareroot.
    One to discuss with your supplier perhaps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

thanks lads.

Escollonia was recommended by the supplier, I dont want Leylandii as it is over 300 ft lenght of an area to plant and I would be cutting it like mad. Also I was told that leylandii without a bit of shelter could burn,

I am open to other species though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zack21

Hi

I think Escollonia is really nice, but my favorite hedge at the moment would be Red Robyn :D. The new leafs that come out are blood red, which over time turn green so you have that mixture of colour of red and green. Plus you get a little over 12ft of a hedge. I Trained 4 of them to climb up the back wall of my mothers house like a climber and it's gorgous. Another good thing is that it's evergreen as well.

You where saying about feeding the plants?? The most common used fertilizer for hedging is chicken feed because it's like granuales and easy to spread around the hedge during spring and summer, but i think Farm yard manure is better but it just means a bit more work. Well worth the effort thow :).

Advertisement