Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Temple Theatre

• 03-03-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I'm sure all the Old school / Asylum heads on here will love this....but when i scour that thread i don't see anything about it.

What was the place like? Seemed full of scum tbh when i watched a video of it on youtube......but I'd like to be enlightened as to what it was really like-seemed they occasionally had some ok line ups-Coxy, Green Velvet, Picotto (though this was Komodo time)

As far as i was concerned at the time, you'd want to be risking life going in there on the weekend.......especially at a Mark McCabe gig........! But tell me this, am i wrong?!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I stumbled in there one night with a few mates, well on with drink... it was a R&B night and by fck did we move out of there quickly again! Full of home-boys etc, I know that wouldn't have been the typical night in there but my one and only experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    I'm sure all the Old school / Asylum heads on here will love this....but when i scour that thread i don't see anything about it.

What was the place like? Seemed full of scum tbh when i watched a video of it on youtube......but I'd like to be enlightened as to what it was really like-seemed they occasionally had some ok line ups-Coxy, Green Velvet, Picotto (though this was Komodo time)

As far as i was concerned at the time, you'd want to be risking life going in there on the weekend.......especially at a Mark McCabe gig........! But tell me this, am i wrong?!
    i went to the picotto gigs back in the day.they were savage.some of the best nights of my life.didnt get into any trouble while i was there either,nothing but fond memories for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I loved the place used to go every week and never saw any fights inside the place.
    The bouncers could be annoying sometimes but other than that it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I won tickets to the place on Mark Kavanagh's show on Radio Ireland in '97.
    Me and a mate hopped on the bus to Dublin with some supplies. Fairly mad night, first time I ever went clubbing in Dublin. It was a MoS tour night...I can't for the life of me recall who was playing...perhaps Tall Paul and someone else. Think Jay Pidgeon was playing the bar down in the crypt (spooky bloody place)
    It was a weird venue, we started out going nuts on one of the balconies after a few yokes...the way people were jumping up and down on it, made it feel like it was gonna collapse, so we headed for the floor. It's all a bit blurry after that (although I can clearly recall Armin's Blue Fear being dropped).
    Good atmosphere and the venue suited in a strange kind of way, pews, pulpits and all. We never really felt threatened (but then you didn't back then, even the scumbags were on the love buzz) even though there was an element in the place...fell out on to the street hours later and wandered inner city Dublin for a good while (freezing). Ended up kipping on the escalator at Amiens St station, and got the early bus home the next morning. In retrospect, arranging somewhere to stay might have been a good idea, but we had more important uses for the money. We're probably lucky we didn't get a kicking. Good night though...one of those ones you remember having, but no real detail of the night itself. Never went back. I was more into the clubbing scene in the North at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Some great line ups for sure,ive seen countless top DJ's there basically it was a great club up until about 6 months before it closed when it was overun by Tallaght knackers selling dodgy yokes and coke and looking for aggro, the bouncers were out and out cun*s and i know a few lads who got a hiding off them.

Best ever nite in The Temple was Eurodance 97 with David Holmes, still one of the best ever Techno sets ive heard to this day.

In a nutshell, The Temple Theatre was very good but nowhere in the same league as Sides of The Ormond Multimedia Centre although it's still way ahead of any clubs around thesedays unfortunately..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The Temple was grand.

Is there any rave vids where you don't see a load of scum bags at it in fairness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

temple was great, never saw any bother at all in all my time going there. played it a few times too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ddisco

Had some brilliant nights in the Temple theatre - stand out nights were Miss Moneypennys , Paul Di Cane (not sure how to spell his name!) and of course Sasha - 40 pound a ticket , but an amazing night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was baptised there before it was a nightclub, as a random aside....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Here is David Holmes from that fantastic Eurodance '97 night and Dave Clarke in the Fuse club in Brussels that night also.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4ybm2nj2nz2
    Had many a great night in the Temple Theatre, the Crypt was rockin' :cool:
    I would be more wary these days of going out in Dublin than i was then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Was there a few times myself. As already said above I can confirm the bouncers were absolute wnakers. Once when it was only opened they actually asked people in the line qing to get in who went to the Asylum and promptly refused all and sundry who said I did or who ever put up their hands, the poor fools probably thought they would get in for free, and I was one of them:(
    However I have to say the lay out of the building was deadly. The big hall would be your Olympic and the Crypt downstairs would be your Asylum/Sides although it couldn't match any of them 3 clubs in any real sense and I would never rate this spot as a real Retro Dublin Spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Was there towards the end of its run,and to be honest,I was verly young and immature at the time and didnt really appreciate the place,it had a great set up,and a fantastic sound system,but unfortunately the atmosphere was ruined by the huge collection of complete scumbags that inhabitated the place,plastered down fringes,ben shermins jumpers,black arse tight levi jeans and red shoes everywhere,plus the security was just unreal,was like trying to enter a prison,body searches and a barrage of questions,.........................the place had potential,but what I remember most about it,was how tense the place the was,there was always the feeling you could get a box at any time,and the tribalism was mad,all these small time drug dealing arseholes from town,Cabra,Tallaght,Finglas etc,all shaping up to each other,not the best setting for a rave or a dance club,not to run the place down I did have the odd good night there,just I dont remember it fondly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

had a couple of good nites in there meself.never seen any trouble.went to pvd in there place was'nt packed and the yokes were ****e.dark pink things with a guy resembling a raver printed on them.i think they were called dancers.i quite liked the layout of the temple.nice open dance area up stairs.trip screens at the back of the stage behind the dj and either side of the stage up high.remember dancing away while pvd was playing,looked up at the trip screens either side of the stage and cornation stree was on :eek:.maybe the yokes were'nt that bad after all.:D you were also allowed up on the balcony's at this stage before they were closed off,so this was good aswell.
    remember pvd banged out camisra - let me show you and the place was rocking floors vibrating under your feet.deadly.

had a couple of good nites in there when paddy sheridan was playing.

and yes down stairs in the crypt was a deadly little place for buzzing about.it was dark with the little archways here and there.real type of underground feel to it.

so all in all i liked the temple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭KEN.G

Great venue from top to bottom with some memorable nights in both the Crypt and the main floor or just chillin out on the balcony but as has been said previously Homers set at Eurodance was one of the best by far.

Shame people used to run amuck outside for ages after it, so the local residents got it shut down.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Im trying to remember if it was the temple,a 16 year old girl had a heart attack and died,it was one night in the cyrpt I think it was,it was insanely overcrowed and the heat was stiffling and was hard to breathe,one or two girls passed out,you couldnt breathe or move it was frightning,and someone turned on the sprinklers on the ceiling,paramedics bursting throught the crowds to get to the girls who were unconcious,I think it closed about a week or two after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

"The crypt"- the name alone sounds terifying! I suppose u could say my school was local.....we would have got chased out of there in no time! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Im trying to remember if it was the temple,a 16 year old girl had a heart attack and died,it was one night in the cyrpt I think it was,it was insanely overcrowed and the heat was stiffling and was hard to breathe,one or two girls passed out,you couldnt breathe or move it was frightning,and someone turned on the sprinklers on the ceiling,paramedics bursting throught the crowds to get to the girls who were unconcious,I think it closed about a week or two after

it was on the balcony at one of the picotto gigs, at least i think thats waht youre talking about

she wasnt 16 tho, she was late teens early 20s iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Good aul spot indeed, In a bit of a bad location, but sure it's Dublin, police outside on few occasions, telling peope to leave quietly lol, Bouncers were a bit of the headwrescking side, and the security inside with torches :mad::mad:

Some great nights had in there tho, and also some great acts played in there over the years....

Advertisement