Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estates?

Options
  • 03-03-2009 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a house in Carlow but I'm not from the area and haven't lived there that long so I'm not 2 sure about estates. Could anyone help me and tell me the ones to really avoid i.e. the rougher ones and the ones filled with college students(as don't want much messing going on as have small baby).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

hey country girl, welcome to the carlow forum.

may i direct you to these threads, as alot of what your looking for would be covered in them

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055327137

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241059

generally the rougher estates in carlow would be considered as john sweeney, the laurels, burren manor, and New Oak

the college ones would be college green/gardens and borlum wood/court, southern gardens

again every town has these estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

thanks patrick, i know all towns have these places but there are some that really need to be avoided anywhere! i just was getting lost in the house hunting and didnt know where half these places were! i knew of john sweeny park but have been looking at the laurels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Green Road and Bullock Park are also student type estates.

thanks shay, also does anyone know what sand hills, rochfort manor and the yellow estate near the burrin roundabout... i can't remember what its called

The Burrin Roundabout? Do you mean Angler's Walk?

Sand Hills and Rochfort Manor seem like nice estates. Myself and my g/f considered both the last time we were looking for a place to rent. They're both a good walk from town though, I don't know whether that makes a difference to you or not.

If the "yellow estate" you're talking about IS in fact Angler's Walk, then I can't fault it. Nice houses with a good sized kitchen and a big living room. And only a stones throw away from the centre of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I think you won't really have any problems in the majority of the new estates that have been built around Carlow in the last few years. In the future it may turn out to be like the estates Patrick mentioned but thats the chance you take when buying somewhere you aint familiar with.

In General I don't find Carlow to be too bad and I live in the middle of all the areas Patrick mentioned, although that could be because I come from a worse area in Dublin. Never much trouble around though, its close to town and on the right side of it for heading up to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Cousin of Fishtits missus lives in Highfield, at the main roundabout on the Dublin Rd, detached 4 bed.

Quietest estate I've stayed in, in a long time. Many occupants seemed to be retired, hence around all day - good for security.

Oldish ('70s?) build so insulation probably not the best, but struck me as a near perfect location to rear a family.

15 minute walk to the Pub.

Compared to Dublin suburbs it was utopia...

Maybe the local guys will have a better angle on it?

Thanks for the replies lads and lassies.
    Fishtits (unusual name btw lol) i'm renting near there at the moment and I'm spoilt because of it!!
    Shenanigans, I know its a risk but just trying to find a fairly ok place as i said to fishtits I'm spoilt with my current location.
    Shayk, have just found out that anglers walk is on marshy ground and that the houses are sinking but they do look pretty nice... wonder would it take long to sink :D
    Househunting is WRECKING my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

state your source plz....

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

patrickc wrote: »
    hey country girl, welcome to the carlow forum.

may i direct you to these threads, as alot of what your looking for would be covered in them

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055327137

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241059

generally the rougher estates in carlow would be considered as john sweeney, the laurels, burren manor, and New Oak

the college ones would be college green/gardens and borlum wood/court, southern gardens

again every town has these estates.

New oak WTF :eek:,,i moved here years ago and have never seen or heard any thing wrong with new oak but i guess its always the outside looking in,,
    New oak is really quiet,,i dont know to much about the other estates
    I know New oak had a rough reputation in the 90,s but belive me its really quiet,poeple are sound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    i moved here years ago

QED ! :)

As a matter of interest OP, how are you getting a mortgage in the current market??

testicle wrote: »
    QED ! :)

As a matter of interest OP, how are you getting a mortgage in the current market??
    amazing what you can do when you buy and sell,,but that was when the market was good

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    New oak WTF :eek:,,i moved here years ago and have never seen or heard any thing wrong with new oak but i guess its always the outside looking in,,
    New oak is really quiet,,i dont know to much about the other estates
    I know New oak had a rough reputation in the 90,s but belive me its really quiet,poeple are sound

apologies so Danny, it's as you say the outside looking in.

patrickc wrote: »
    apologies so Danny, it's as you say the outside looking in.
    No probs Patrick,,;)

Unfortunately ShayK i can't, it was a fellow boardie who pm'd me. Maybe its untrue i dunno!
    That's the problem testicle i havent gone about a mortgage yet, hopefully next week i'll see how many refuse me!! At the mo i'm just looking into whats available and price wise.
    Surely it can't be that hard to get a mortgage? Right? RIGHT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It is quite hard to get a mortgage... We are paying 1200 a month for an apartment in rent, yet by the banks logic we cannot afford 672 euro per month for our own home...

WTF is this about? Can anyone tell me this please?

The laurels have increadibly cheap houses, but some streets can be rough. Some are quiet...

New oak is fine. Some estates out the hacketstown road are quite nice. I forget their names. Would you consider living a few miles outside carlow? I forget the estate but 3 bedroom houses were going for 205,000 just last week, really really nice houses. They had some basic furnishings too. I seen it on daft.ie. If you have transport try looking outside carlow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Shenanigans, I know its a risk but just trying to find a fairly ok place as i said to fishtits I'm spoilt with my current location.

I understand what you are saying, it is one of the biggest decisions you are ever going to make and its amazing the amount of people that don't actually do what you are doing and put in some research.

However with the way things are right now I would advise you to continue renting, everything is pointing to prices falling and in year or two (which does seem a long way away) you might get the same house for 60,000 cheaper.
    Would you consider living a few miles outside carlow? I forget the estate but 3 bedroom houses were going for 205,000 just last week, really really nice houses. They had some basic furnishings too. I seen it on daft.ie. If you have transport try looking outside carlow town.

A lot of houses in and around the town are cheaper than that.

iamxavier thats crazy surely one of the banks would offer you a mortgage. There are plenty of houses in and around outskirts of town for 205 an under (10 min walk to tesco etc.)
    Thanks shen i may just do that i was talkin to an estate agent today and te house i was lookin at was going for 225 last year they were askin 265 for similiar house on same estate.
    If anyone is looking at houses i would advise them to check out all the agents as they have the exact same houses for sale for 10 to 15 less and theres not much difference inside.

btw i amxavier that is crazy money to be paying down here, we are paying 750 for house

i think thats dublin rent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

iamxavier thats crazy surely one of the banks would offer you a mortgage.

No one is doing mortgages at the moment unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

testicle wrote: »
    No one is doing mortgages at the moment unfortunately.

thats not true, i got one last august, im sure they have tightned up but if you have the deposit and a secure job im sure you should have no problems, id say they take every case on its own merits, i have one bit of advise which done me the world of good, when applying for a mortgage go through a broker, they do all the work for you and get you the best deal and there is no fee, the bank gives them commission, alot better than doing it on ur own

Unfortunately ShayK i can't, it was a fellow boardie who pm'd me.

Then ask them to state their source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Fishtits wrote: »
    Cousin of Fishtits missus lives in Highfield, at the main roundabout on the Dublin Rd, detached 4 bed.

Quietest estate I've stayed in, in a long time. Many occupants seemed to be retired, hence around all day - good for security.

Oldish ('70s?) build so insulation probably not the best, but struck me as a near perfect location to rear a family.

15 minute walk to the Pub.

Compared to Dublin suburbs it was utopia...

Maybe the local guys will have a better angle on it?

I grew up in Highfield and my mam still lives there. Its true to say that many of the residents are older and have grown up families. As the estate is so quiet and small (approx 60 houses?) the prices of houses here are often above the norm for carlow town.

I wouldnt say 15 minutes walk to the pub.....unless you have very long legs!! :P

An auctioneer told them about them being built on soft ground. Plus the river runs along by it. Think i'll stay clear just to be on the safe side, whatever about it being slashed in price i certainly don't want half a house :D
    Trying to view houses is impossible I'm still waiting on 2 estate agents to get back to me, 1 since yesterday and 1 since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

It is quite hard to get a mortgage... We are paying 1200 a month for an apartment in rent, yet by the banks logic we cannot afford 672 euro per month for our own home...

WTF is this about? Can anyone tell me this please?

The laurels have increadibly cheap houses, but some streets can be rough. Some are quiet...

New oak is fine. Some estates out the hacketstown road are quite nice. I forget their names. Would you consider living a few miles outside carlow? I forget the estate but 3 bedroom houses were going for 205,000 just last week, really really nice houses. They had some basic furnishings too. I seen it on daft.ie. If you have transport try looking outside carlow town.

thanks for the plus on some of the estates that were slagged already - bearing in mind that I live in one of them.:D

Would one of the 50/50 mortagages from the council be appropriate for you Royalty Great Farm. I don't quite understand how it works - you pay mortgage on half and rent the other half. I looked into it a few years ago, but we got the mortgage ok at the time. You need to have two refusal letter from mortgage companies saying they won't give give you a mortgage.

And secondly I am really not comfortable with this thread judging estates. one infamous estate in carlow is that way because of two families. I think your immediate neighbours can be far more of a problem than the estate your are in.

Advertisement