Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem connecting xbox to HD Ready TV

• 03-03-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi all,

having a bit of trouble connecting my xbox up to my hd ready tv. the tv is a philips 32 inch plasma, when i connect the scart lead from the xbox to the tv all i get is sound and no picture (i have no HD cable so the switch on the scart lead is set to TV) i then plugged the scart lead into the auxillary on my dvd player and got it working through that but the picture quality is terrible and theres also a delay when playing the game. :(

i have a portable 14 inch tv and the quality is better on that 2 b honest:(

is there anything i can do besides getting a hd cable and hooking that up???

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Didn't know they made plasmas that small. Shows what I know :)

Without meaning to be coy, get a HDMI cable for HD tbh, SCART is useless. I dont know which connector you're using so I can't be much more help than that, if there's a switch on the connector with "HDTV" and "SDTV" switch it to SDTV since that's all the SCART can carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

yeah this is one of the first plasmas, theres no HDMI station though on the tv, just DVI-I?? do i have to try and get a DVI-I cable then or? am fairly clueless myself! :(

Is there no component connection on your telly? 5/6 differently coloured circular inputs next to each other. And is it a plain SCART you're using, was no other cable included when ya bought it?

do u mean component connection for HD?? if u do theres not. i did get 6 cables with the xbox, the usual yellow red and white ones (along with an adaptor) and then 3 more cables which are red blue and green. the back of the tv looks like this:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/104828/58304.jpg

thanks

Only way to get HD on that TV will be with DVI.

Try putting the yellow, white and red cables from the adaptor into the three slots at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Maybe you should get something like Component -> DVI adapter? :eek:

amacachi wrote: »
    Only way to get HD on that TV will be with DVI.

Try putting the yellow, white and red cables from the adaptor into the three slots at the back.
    yeah done all that fiddling around, think i'll have to buy a HDMI - DVI-I adaptor, only thing is i'll have no sound:(

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

As far as I know, you don't get any sound through DVI. You'd have to have separate speakers set up if you're doing that.

Are you sure you have the right pins going into your scart adapter. Red and White audio, and then the yellow one. Or instead of using the scart, you can use the component socket on the back of your tv directly. And make sure the switch on the cable is at SD (not HD).

Can't think of anything else.

As far as I know, you don't get any sound through DVI. You'd have to have separate speakers set up if you're doing that.

Are you sure you have the right pins going into your scart adapter. Red and White audio, and then the yellow one. Or instead of using the scart, you can use the component socket on the back of your tv directly. And make sure the switch on the cable is at SD (not HD).

Can't think of anything else.
    yep have the right pins going into your scart adapter and tryed to use the component socket on the back of the tv directly, cable is defo on SD too. thanks for ur help though everyone.

this is the cable i think i need:

http://www.computercablestore.com/images/products/No%20Manufacturer/8-HDMIDVI.jpg

this is the connection on my tv:

http://data.macoteket.se/images/other_images/DVI_I_kontakt.jpg

anyone know where i could get a cable like that?? dont want to get one on the internet and end up paying a fortune on delivery costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

as a stop gap to get you up and running while you wait fo ra cable for better quality , ill till you about the little switch on the cable for tv/hdtv its on the end that goes to the xbox ;)

edit i just noticed you only have the cable with red yellow and white connectors so ignore that maybe as i dont know if that has the switch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

A better option would be a VGA cable and get a VGA to DVI adapter for it, as the 360's vga cable has 2 separate wires for sound as well

DVI to VGA adapters are also a lot easier to come by than HDMI to DVI, I've got 3 spare ones back home as they always come bundled with graphics cards. I'm sure if you put something up on adverts.ie, someone would be kind enough to post you one (or they could be got for under a tenner in places like Maplins)

These are the 2 items (I got the VGA cable a lot cheaper in a Game store ages ago iirc)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=106841
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312875

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

tman wrote: »
    A better option would be a VGA cable and get a VGA to DVI adapter for it, as the 360's vga cable has 2 separate wires for sound as well

DVI to VGA adapters are also a lot easier to come by than HDMI to DVI, I've got 3 spare ones back home as they always come bundled with graphics cards. I'm sure if you put something up on adverts.ie, someone would be kind enough to post you one (or they could be got for under a tenner in places like Maplins)

These are the 2 items (I got the VGA cable a lot cheaper in a Game store ages ago iirc)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=106841
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312875

I'm pretty sure that won't work. Reason is simple - VGA is analog only while DVI can have both. On graphics cards where there is dvi plug, it carries both signals. So the only option would be getting dvi2hdmi cable or hdmi2hdmi cable and dvi2hdmi adapter.

OP pm me if you want to go the second option as I have spare one. You can have for free as long as you can pick up from Swords or meet me in cc. I just need to find it

thanks docentore, but managed to get a HDMI to DVI-I cable at currys over the weekend and as thought i have no sound. the picture is great though so am chuffed with that! anyone got any ideas for the sound?? thanks

got the sound working today on the tv, thanks to everyone for there help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

go to harvey norman pick up an Xbox 360 VGA cable with free optical cable for 2 euros. Problem solved. Every HD TV has VGA doesn't it..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ROC1977 wrote: »
    go to harvey norman pick up an Xbox 360 VGA cable with free optical cable for 2 euros. Problem solved. Every HD TV has VGA doesn't it..?

No, very few of them do. Digital signals is the way forward, d-sub inputs were little used in older gen TV's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

No, very few of them do. Digital signals is the way forward, d-sub inputs were little used in older gen TV's.

Thats simply not true. Nearly all flat tvs made in the last 2 years have vga. Especially newer bigger sets. I cant think of any new tv, over 19" that doesn't have vga. True, digital signals are the way forward but vga can handle 1080p just like hdmi and the difference in PQ is negligible IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thats simply not true. Nearly all flat tvs made in the last 2 years have vga. Especially newer bigger sets. I cant think of any new tv, over 19" that doesn't have vga. True, digital signals are the way forward but vga can handle 1080p just like hdmi and the difference in PQ is negligible IMO.

Agreed.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Zonda999 wrote: »

Quite a few I've looked at don't have VGA input. Even recent ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Biro wrote: »
    Quite a few I've looked at don't have VGA input. Even recent ones.

Have you been looking at the sorny, panaphonics, and magnetbox range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kerryman10

keltoms wrote: »
    got the sound working today on the tv, thanks to everyone for there help! :)

Hi keltoms...I have exactly the same problem.
    How did you get the sound working?

Advertisement